Notices

Trapped

Old 03-04-2018, 03:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trapped

I’m stuck in an endless cycle, can’t get out, life on hold until I can. Hate being drunk hate being sober
Old 03-04-2018, 04:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Morning Stew. You can get out! There's a bunch of people on here that are living proof, living fulfilling lives, having gotten past the hell of drinking and made peace with themselves. I'm still early in my recovery and it's still pretty raw and painful at times, I get it. Come here and read, talk to your doctor, find a group that works for you and get to some meetings. We're all here to support you.
Old 03-04-2018, 04:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I felt that way until I picked a side Stewy.

My drinking life was horrible and my sober life was horrible because I never stuck at it long enough to get past withdrawal let alone start to feel better.

Pick drinking and things will get worse.
I drank until I lost everything that was dear to me. Career, family, health, self respect.

Pick sobriety and things are probably still going to be hard for a while before they get better - the longer we drink the deeper the hole...

but the earlier you do something about this the easier getting your life back into order will be.

You need to take some action Stewy.

I've seen you post after you drink, I've seen you post in despair, I've seen you post post declarations of you are going to get sober.,..but I haven't seen you take any real tangible sustained action for change.

Until you do, I think you're right - you're pretty much trapped.

D
Old 03-04-2018, 05:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Stew - there is a better way. You can choose sober. I’m keeping you in my thoughts today! Is there a friend or family member you can reach out to?
Old 03-04-2018, 05:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Stew

I don't post to you often because I'm really not sure what to say. Just know you aren't alone. I know I'm very stubborn and I had to drink until I was so desperate that my only choice was to get help. That's just the way it is for me. I'm just grateful I didn't die before that desperation came.

There are 2 ways that alcoholism ends, recovery or well, to be blunt, death. Its just a fact. The time line is what you don't know if you keep drinking.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Everyone has already said it. And I think you know it.

Not making a choice is making a choice. It's already either or. Pick being sober and ride along with some of the others like me here that are new in this. You don't have to do it alone.

Just keep it really simple for awhile. Don't drink today. And then don't drink tomorrow. People are right, you'll start seeing the way.

-B
Old 03-04-2018, 10:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
J50

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I felt that way until I picked a side Stewy.

My drinking life was horrible and my sober life was horrible because I never stuck at it long enough to get past withdrawal let alone start to feel better.

Pick drinking and things will get worse.
I drank until I lost everything that was dear to me. Career, family, health, self respect.

Pick sobriety and things are probably still going to be hard for a while before they get better - the longer we drink the deeper the hole...

but the earlier you do something about this the easier getting your life back into order will be.

You need to take some action Stewy.

I've seen you post after you drink, I've seen you post in despair, I've seen you post post declarations of you are going to get sober.,..but I haven't seen you take any real tangible sustained action for change.

Until you do, I think you're right - you're pretty much trapped.

D
Awesome post as always, D!

I think one of our problems in general is that we are always looking for the "magic pill" or the easy way out, to get the result we want. Look at the diet/weight loss industry.

Quitting drinking is not the "magic pill", but it is the necessary first step.

From there it takes time. Time to suffer through the initial stages, build your recovery plan, and build new habits to attain your new life.

It won't happen overnight, but it will happen if you stick with it and are willing to put in the work.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back Stewy. You are only “trapped” in the sense that you choose to not do anything about your situation. Not sure how many times you are going to come here and post the same thing over and over, but you will always receive support.

If you won’t do anything to help yourself, why not use your role as a parent and your daughter to get you started towards recovery? Think of how colossally selfish you are acting in relationship to being a responsible parent. I did it too, and so did many other member here...so I’m not singling you out....but thing of what she sees and your parents for that matter.

You have a wealth of options, I won’t list them because it’s been done hundreds of times. Get off the pity pot and do it as they say.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

stewy, there is SO much help at your avail......in fact i don't think there are many other illnesses that plague people for which SO much help is available. you can make that choice at any time, on any day. there is no trap............
Old 03-04-2018, 11:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I’m tired of day one day one day one nothing sticking. I know I’m done with this life. I’m done with it
Old 03-04-2018, 12:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Honesty is the first step

Not talking about AA, according to AA as I understand it, the first step is about humility and being powerless. But you opened up and are being honest with your emotions and not in complete denial either. Pride is a "mortal sin" sorry I am so Catholic! It was hard for me to ask for help and that is where pride comes to play, but you pretty much need to ask for help, in a supporting community. You already did the leap. You are here.
Old 03-04-2018, 12:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Stewy, it's all up to you to take action and make this Day One and make it your last Day One.
Old 03-04-2018, 12:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Make this Day One, dear Stewy.

Actively seek real Recovery; truly recover and you will cherish your Sober Life. I promise you,
Old 03-04-2018, 12:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Stew1984 View Post
I’m tired of day one day one day one nothing sticking. I know I’m done with this life. I’m done with it
Please call someone who can help if you are feeling suicidal Stewy. Even 911 if your parents aren’t home. It’s time to start getting better and you need help doing that. Do it for your daughter, she needs you. Pick up the phone and call.
Old 03-04-2018, 12:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Scott is right

Call somebody.
Old 03-04-2018, 12:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I kept running into the "nothing sticking"/lost cause thoughts after I joined here around the same time you did. Never could figure out why I couldn't last more than a month or 3(sometimes it was a few days) and then off to the chaos again. I did this for a few more years too. The reason nothing wasn't working for me, I figured out in court ordered AA, was because I needed to be doing/trying something/everything I could to get out of the cycle, that "nothing" kept bringing me back to.
Old 03-04-2018, 01:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I’m totally stuck in the quick sand. Only thing there is just beer beer beer. It’s not normal. This is hell
Old 03-04-2018, 01:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

At least you’re here on this site. You do not have to drink to survive. Your booze brain does not have the final say. Tell it to eff off and let Stew do the thinking. I believe in this forum, the collective wisdom of how to overcome. I dipped my toe in the water, and now I’m in the pool! Please join me—it’s amazingly refreshing here...
Old 03-04-2018, 02:09 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I’m low, lowest I’ve been with this mess. Can’t escape
Old 03-04-2018, 02:22 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I’m low, lowest I’ve been with this mess. Can’t escape
Call urgent care or have your parents take you to the hospital Stewy.