Notices

Idk how to do therapy

Old 03-03-2018, 05:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Idk how to do therapy

I started therapy on January 13. On January 17, I stopped drinking and haven't had a drink since.

I've been seeing a therapist as a way to sort of keep me in check, but I'm so sick of talking about my drinking all the time.

I'm not sure why I find it so exhausting. Honestly, the best help I've found is posting things here when I get to a point where I feel I might crack.

But I also don't want to drink. And I start to find myself mad at people who want to drink. Can people just chill and not drink? Why is it something that has to be at every single event?
Old 03-04-2018, 06:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It’s ok to tell you therapist you would like to talk about a different issue, but if drinking is iterwoven into alll areas of life drinking may still be a passing topic.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Therapy is not a quick-fix solution to any problem. It takes time for a therapist to get to know you and peel back the layers of what's going on with you. Have you mentioned that talking about drinking exhausts you? What was the response?
Old 03-04-2018, 12:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I did therapy for 2.5 years and it was one of the most exhausting and difficult things I've ever had to do...but I'm so pleased I did it. I think the suggestion of telling your therapist how you're feeling is a great idea. Wishing you well on your recovery journey 💜