Notices

Tonight is really hard

Old 03-03-2018, 04:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tonight is really hard

I am having a really hard time not drinking tonight. I am not going to drink but it is a fight. And the weird thing is I went to a great AA meeting this morning and it was a meeting about accepting being an alcoholic and taking each day (or 1 hour, or 30 minutes, etc) as it comes.

It was a good day. I did something fun with my daughter. Then the urge to drink came on so strong. I still have the urge now so I am posting here. I know I won't drink tonight and I'll be relieved tomorrow. If I did drink tonight I'd wake up an anxious wreck and I would have to start all over again and it has been hard to get this far.

Anyway, I hope others out there are doing well.

Thank you for reading.
Old 03-03-2018, 05:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Rar

Glad you're not drinking chowchow. You're right! You don't want to start again with another Day 1. You've come so far already. Some days it seems to me that the desire to drink lasts all day. On those days, I call it an early night and retreat to the safety of my bed. The next morning, I am so glad I didn't drink. You will be relieved too. Your AA meeting sounds wonderful! Hang in there. You can do this!
Old 03-03-2018, 05:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you had a good day, and it's too bad you're struggling now. You are doing great by getting through this and it will get easier. You will gain confidence and the urges to drink will lessen.
Old 03-03-2018, 05:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sounds like you've got your AV beat tonight, since you came here and posted instead of giving in to the urge. Good work, and keep it up! Hopefully you can find something to distract you for the rest of the night. Take care.
Old 03-03-2018, 05:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Chowchow,
Just sending out words of support. You will be sooo glad you did not drink tomorrow morning. Every win against the AV is a huge victory.
About a month ago I was having a very productive Saturday morning when all of a sudden, out of no where, the AV showed up. I remember sitting in my living room chair digging my nails into the fabric I was so tense. I paced the house, sat down and paced again. This lasted a few hours. I was already planning the damage control for the next day because I thought for sure the AV would win. Then I felt it fade and my sane mind took over and I was safe for another day. After that victory I no longer feel that failure is inevitable.
Old 03-03-2018, 05:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I’m having a tough night too chow. I’ve been having major drug and alcohol cravings. My mind has been meandering and forming a plan to fail against my will.

I won’t act on it, but it’s a hard Saturday night. I just want to feel better.
Old 03-03-2018, 05:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you seen this link ?

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-cravings.html (CarolD's tips for cravings)
Old 03-03-2018, 05:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey, keep on fighting. I'm glad so see that you're resilient at protecting your sobriety. Keep on going! It's been rough for me today too. But going back is not an option.

Keep strong and best wishes.
Old 03-03-2018, 05:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Chowchow (& you too, Pete) - it won't feel like this forever, we promise. It's early days yet - the anxiety & cravings will lessen. I once lived for it, now I rarely think of it. You're doing a great job.
Old 03-03-2018, 06:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Chowchow, thanks for your post. This is my first night on here and I am sorry you are having a rough time. I know I too I will be thankful tomorrow that I did not drink but I also know that strong feeling of craving. Knowing others are having the same feeling at the same time somehow is a bit of a comfort. I know some of my friends and family do not understand how hard it is to "just don't drink" or "just drink in moderation". It is always all or nothing for me. I am looking forward to exploring some posts tonight and get acquainted with the site. Take care.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey!
It’s a craving, and it will pass.
Breathe, get some gentle exercise, maybe some stretching.
Drink something good. Warm milk, a nice, hot tea.
You will feel better tomorrow.
Cravings dissipate over time.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It will pass, and the longer you stay sober, the fewer cravings you'll have. It gets better.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well done for coming here and posting. Those cravings can be wicked and compelling when they hit. You are doing great for resisting and staying strong.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you all. I woke up feeling good for not giving in last night but also worried about today.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Worry and fear is all part of that early-sobriety general anxiety.

Of course you can NOT drink. Don't touch the glass, done.

It's a lot of thinking in early days but it gets easier and so much better and really worth it.

You're doing great, coming here is a fantastic way to redirect your thoughts.

I used to say every morning, "I'm going to bed sober tonight." That seemed to squash the thoughts when they came up because I already stated my intentions for the day.