Notices

Blood Pressure

Old 03-03-2018, 12:26 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

yes I am on blood pressure meds myself they do help but sometimes when I drink I end up in the ER with high blood pressure and vomiting blood sometimes and was admitted for a week twice with enlarged spleen and inflammation of my liver thanks for reminding me of this.I shall put it in my recovery plan of why I should not drink.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:34 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Rar

Originally Posted by HeidiM View Post
Has anyone read Annie Grace’s book? Like to hear your opinion.
I did. I have mixed feelings about it. It is similar to the AVRT method. What I liked about it was the scientific explanations about why we continue to drink and what happens to us when we do. It is a well researched book. What I didn't like was that it seemed to simplistic. Tell yourself you don't drink and voila - you're cured" However, I will probably go back and re-read the parts I did like.
Old 03-04-2018, 01:41 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

Yeah, excessive drinking can raise blood pressure, and quitting cold turkey can raise it higher. Suggestion is when you plan to quit, go see the doctor to avoid the spike in BP.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:19 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Disgusted with myself

Zebra 1275 - the same things happen to me. However, I had spikes while I drank. Had not one spike while I was in AA for 2 yrs. Did I learn anything from that? No, I started gradually drinking again. So here I am on day #5 and hope for the best. I feel great upon completing a sober day and happy the next morning; I pray for a sober day today.
Have not posted for a few days since I did not make day #5! Scheduled for a nuclear stress test; so I have to stay sober. Scared that my BP will spike again after stopping; any suggestions - thank you
Old 03-10-2018, 10:18 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Heidi - if you're not rapt in your current doctor, maybe you should get a new one?

There's not much anyone can do about sudden BP spikes except seek a doctors advice.

D
Old 03-11-2018, 10:23 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I have blood pressure issues and high cholesterol and SILLY ME, I didn't realize the cholesterol could be related to alcohol. And it took the Sherlock Holmes in me to realize that my blood pressure was so high 150-98 due to withdrawals. 7 days of yoga and no drinking and it was back to normal. I am blessed in that way but I do hot yoga and I wondered if I was going to have a stroke doing the class. It is time to go back!
Old 03-11-2018, 10:28 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I am on BP meds for the past 15 years, actively drinking for 30+ years with 2 yrs of sobriety through AA. Whenever I stop drinking for 3-4 days my blood pressure spikes; been to the ER several times. After receiving an Ativan injection and Clonidine meds BP goes back down. Any suggestions? Thank you!
Have you followed up with your doctor outside of the ER?
Old 03-29-2018, 04:14 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Alcohol wreaked havoc on my BP. I've been on BP meds for probably 10 years. When I stopped drinking on Sunday, by Monday or Tuesday my BP would be 160/110. Horrible. I quit drinking entirely and it has held steady at 130/88 for 2 years.
I was running at 160/110 also. On amlodopine now and hovering around 130/90
Old 03-29-2018, 10:45 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
NJguyinFL

Thanks for bringing this common problem up. I've been on BP meds for over 10 years. I'm a binge drinking alcoholic who was downing a 12 pack of beer 2-3 times a week. The spikes were very annoying. I joined AA for 16 months and found that I was weening myself off of the BP meds cause my numbers were rarely above normal. Today, I'm starting over, only 3 days sober. Hope everyone enjoys the improvements that will come to all of us. Never before have I began to cry while heading out the door, knowing I was going to a bar for the next 5-7 hours... Used to be fun, but recently began wishing I'd just drop dead while walking past my dog and cats as I left... The guilt was horrible, but I knew better than to have kids because of my inability to please anyone except my selfish needs. Was not always like this, used to work so hard to please others, now I kinda shut my door to everyone cause I feel raped... Not sure if this helped, but as you can see, I made this about ME... OMG, I hope I can turn this around. Glad to be here.