Notices

rough night

Old 03-01-2018, 04:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

rough night

'already identified boredom, as an issue, but tonight i'm fidgeting..Maybe i need to go hit the treadmill...Have to do something.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well then go do something! Treadmill is great, push and sweat it out. A year and a half ago you posted this:

"last weekend, I picked up a couple bottles of wine, intended them to last the week. Drank 2 in one night, as evidenced by the empty bottles, no memory. Do have a rather impressive set of bruises, again, not sure from what,..."

Is a night of fidgety boredom not worth getting through so you don't have to write that again?
Old 03-01-2018, 04:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The amount of activities to do would exceed the amount available for me to post.
Do anything you want! (besides something stupid)
Old 03-01-2018, 04:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Probably the main reason for my relapses is due to boredom. Too much time on my hands. It's really tough to deal with. I try to stay as busy as I can. I structure my week as best I can. I go to the gym 5 times a week. I catch a movie when I can. I try to schedule myself in a way where drinking would mess everything up. I'll make a things to do list when I'm home. All this keeps me focused on doing stuff and keeps my mind off of drinking. If I decide to chuck all of this for a day or two, I'm in trouble. Can't afford to be idle for long. My advice is to make a plan and stick with it, no matter what. Avoid excuses for putting things off. Take care. John
Old 03-01-2018, 04:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Also, you might want to stop into an AA meeting sometimes. That'l take up an hour and you might learn stuff to help. IMHO, whether you like AA or not, doesn't matter. I used to just sit in the back and just listen. Helped a lot. It's a place to go and be around other people with problems like yours. John
Old 03-01-2018, 05:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hope you found something to take your mind off of the urge. Think about how much better you'll feel tomorrow morning knowing you staved off the craving and did something better with your time. Take care!
Old 03-01-2018, 07:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah, when I went to AA meetings, I never drank at least a day before I went. Like work; I don't drink the day before I went to work. Of course, drinking the night before going to the gym makes no sense. Eventually, it all adds up. John
Old 03-02-2018, 03:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JayTee33 View Post
Hope you found something to take your mind off of the urge. Think about how much better you'll feel tomorrow morning knowing you staved off the craving and did something better with your time. Take care!
Thanks JT, I did about 50 sit ups, lifted some light weight, finally took a sleeping pill (prescribed) and went to bed.
How was your meeting?
Old 03-02-2018, 04:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Raeven,

The meeting was good, thanks! I was nervous going in but it was a very supportive and inclusive atmosphere. There were more people than I thought there'd be - was hoping for a small group (I'd read Smart Recovery is usually 3-10 people) but there was probably close to 30 people. But I didn't find the size to be a problem. Everyone who wanted to share got to share. They were very welcoming and the facilitator was really good. The most important thing for me was being in a room with people who understand and share in what I'm dealing with. I'm a big introvert, and I wasn't convinced that a group would be for me, but I really did find it helpful.

Glad you had a good evening. Hope you have a good day.
Old 03-02-2018, 05:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi, Raeven. I'm glad some exercise helped with the fidgeting. I find cycling and yoga helps me with cravings, plus it's helped me lose weight and lower my blood pressure. Wishing you all the best today--and you too, JayTee. Glad you had a good meeting--I don't attend AA but have been in the rooms many times over the years and it helps just being around others who understand. (I'm an introvert too!)