Notices

Boredum

Old 03-01-2018, 04:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Boredum

Any tips on ignoring cravings bc of boredom and loneliness? Im 26 and live alone, and just by chance i have no friends near by anymore.... so I turned to havin a few drinks which led to an entire year w/o a day of sobriety. I didn’t drink anything yesterday, and realized its def just a mind game. No hard core withdrawl, just cranky. Those who got over the humps... what really motivated that and got you to ignore cravings?
Old 03-01-2018, 04:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The best thing I did for my sobriety was to start practicing gratitude every day.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Urge surfing was something I learned that helped be with previous attempts at sobriety. I still find it useful. Google it.

Other than that, playing the movie out is a term you'll hear here often. Imagine what the night and sleep and morning will be like drunk, anxious, upset etc. and then play out what an evening, even a kinda boring simple night, might look like. Especially when you wake up sober and confident.

26 is such a great age to focus on getting sober. I'm envious of that. You should take serious pride in that ability to be honest with yourself.

Stay strong. There is so much good advice and wisdom on the is site.