Notices

I have a problem and I am losing years

Old 02-28-2018, 09:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I have a problem and I am losing years

I just want to stop.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

in a perfect world, I would be able to go to rehab for a month because that is what I need,
Not want- NEED
Old 02-28-2018, 09:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Waxfruit

If rehab is, for whatever reason, really not viable for you - then you have to look at other options - seeing your doctor or a counsellor, outpatient rehab, meeting based groups like AA SMART or Lifering.

I didn't 'do' rehab and many of us here didn't.
What I did do was 100% commit to not drinking mot just mentally but in action too:

Those medical things I self medicated for I had to find other ways of dealing with.
I had to change my life style and my ideas of relaxation.

I had to find new healthier ways of dealing with emotions and situations I felt uncomfortable in.

Its a big job - which is why most people find support helpful - but you have a great well sporing of support here - why not come back and use ithat as a first step?

There's a new Class of March support thread just started - you could get in on the ground floor

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-part-one.html (Class Of March 2018 Support Thread - Part One)

D
Old 02-28-2018, 09:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

How does one juggle work and detox?
Old 02-28-2018, 10:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Dee :-) Nice to see you... I will join the march group.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I hate this. :''''(
Old 02-28-2018, 10:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

make a 100% commitment to not drink. I can do that, after I detox. I need help. i need a support system to get me through those days. I'll find someone.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

How does one juggle work and detox?
Your Dr might be a good first port of call for that question?

D
Old 02-28-2018, 11:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Your Dr might be a good first port of call for that question?

D
Truly Dee, it is a sad state of affairs. The reason why I want to go to rehab is to get some time under my belt. To heal. To not be alone. I no longer have health insurance. I.E. Dr.
Old 02-28-2018, 11:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I do believe we as addicts/alcoholics need recovery time. Not kicking and screaming alone at home.
Old 02-28-2018, 11:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

sweating, not sleeping, shaking, cold, high bp, not being able to put a sentence together; yet go to work?
Old 02-28-2018, 11:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I can do this. There are no other options.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

The Salvation Army do have free rehab but it's a long commitment of 6 months and you have to qualify - I'm not sure what the qualifications are, but ti's best to contact your local SA office.

You're going to have to access some kind of medical advice to detox without concern I think - maybe there's a free clinic near you? they may have other ideas for places where you can get help.

There are a lot of free or low cost clinics around - if there's one in your local area you might get some medical advice there?

Low Cost Medical Care | NeedyMeds
The clinics in this database are free, low cost, low cost with a sliding scale based on income, or offer some type of financial assistance.
2-1-1.org

2-1-1 provides free and confidential information and referral. Call 2-1-1 for help with food, housing, employment, health care, counseling and more. Learn more about your local 2-1-1 by looking it up here.
D
Old 03-01-2018, 01:07 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Our lot would favor some hospitalisation for someone in your condition. Usually, members of the local AA group will know where to go and how to go about getting admitted. It would be worth talking to them just from that standpoint.

Also, we have a pretty well proven method that has enabled many of us who were similar to you to make a lasting recovery, so there is that as well.

Detox is just detox. It won't keep you sober, but it will give you a launch pad for an effective program of recovery, if you are willing to make the effort. No free lunches I am afraid.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:20 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Wax,

I remember the hell of detox.

I stayed full of high protien, sweets, quality carbs, gatorade, water.

I exercised very hard as well. That really helped.

After that, physically it was easier, mentally it was like slogging uphill through muddy snow for a while. Every step, my AV would whisper...it is ok to give up.

The brain damage is real.

Thanks.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I had pretty much the same situation as you waxfruit, especially the not sleeping and sweating, but on the other hand there are some positives from going to work. It gave me a break from being with my own thoughts all the time, it was when I was on my own that my AV would get its claws in and tell me that I "needed" a drink. Also it often happens that problem drinkers decide to quit after losing their job meaning they have to deal with that on too of everything else.

I realise I have not been able to give you any practicle advice but sometimes we forget the positives. Quitting booze is the best thing we can ever do for ourselves so try to keep it in mind that it will not be this bad for long.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:54 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
Our lot would favor some hospitalisation for someone in your condition. Usually, members of the local AA group will know where to go and how to go about getting admitted. It would be worth talking to them just from that standpoint.

Also, we have a pretty well proven method that has enabled many of us who were similar to you to make a lasting recovery, so there is that as well.

Detox is just detox. It won't keep you sober, but it will give you a launch pad for an effective program of recovery, if you are willing to make the effort. No free lunches I am afraid.
I didn't say detox. I said rehab. What does "no free lunches" even mean? You don't know me or my history.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:06 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

the most powerful words I have ever heard were
Old 03-01-2018, 04:42 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I agree with contacting the salvation army as well as your local health department. Help is everywhere, you just have to reach out.
Old 03-01-2018, 05:29 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Wax, I'm glad you're back but it sounds like you've run off the road, here.

You were doing well, do that again. Keep coming here, every day. I can testify that the March classes are pretty special here on this site. Start being accountable and helping others instead of dwelling on your problems.

You can afford one doctor visit. This is life and death. If you're in the States you could qualify for State insurance, but that's a pretty involved process and I think you need immediate help, like Gottalife suggested. Get to the county hospital and ask for help. Go to a clinic and get a week's worth of inexpensive meds to get you past the hard part. If you have to call in sick for two days, so be it. You just got that job, and apartment.

Don't blow up your life. You can do this.