Notices

Day 7

Old 03-01-2018, 06:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 7

I know its early, but thinking how much i would enjoy wine tonight. Has me wondering where that impulse is coming from. ⚡ boredom. Yep, I drank at night, alone. Bored, lazy, stalling on my chores...I think somewhere I knew, but not consciously. Plus, once I drank I had the perfect excuse not to leave the house, couldn't drive...introspection is tough, but I think it s part of the process. Sharing helps, I appreciate the words of encouragement and the me to's. Makes this less lonely. THANK YOU!!
Old 03-01-2018, 06:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I cannot drink, no matter what. So when I have random, meandering thoughts of drinking I shut them down, stat. I don't ponder or negotiate. I don't drink, no matter what and I won't change my mind. I am quite sure this mantra changes my brain over time. In the same way that 'well, maybe, what if, that might be fun'....eventually leads me to drinking.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

7 days is awesome, Raeven.

I can relate to the drinking for boredom thing. I've found that new goals and hobbies to keep me busy have been a great help.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
I cannot drink, no matter what. So when I have random, meandering thoughts of drinking I shut them down, stat. I don't ponder or negotiate. I don't drink, no matter what and I won't change my mind. I am quite sure this mantra changes my brain over time. In the same way that 'well, maybe, what if, that might be fun'....eventually leads me to drinking.
Couldn't have said it better. Wouldn't want to even try. Well, except I'd say, "I don't drink." The "cannot" term is problematic to me, because I know I "can."

There is no reason/excuse/justification/rationalizing the desire for a drink.

Why even go down that path in my mind and thoughts? I don't engage those thoughts. I don't engage other random destructive thoughts either - like punching that guy in the nose who irritates me, or stealing that purse left unattended in the shopping cart with a wallet peeking out. Why would I start planning how to hide that purse? That just doesn't serve me and isn't something I'd do. Just like I don't invite drinking thoughts to come in, sit down and get comfortable.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Raeven View Post
I appreciate the words of encouragement and the me to's. Makes this less lonely. THANK YOU!!
Me too. :P

Congrats on a week! Just think, a sober spring is just around the corner...
Old 03-01-2018, 02:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

ask yourself the question would you really enjoy drinking tonight?
and is drinking still as fun as ever?
Old 03-01-2018, 02:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats in your week Raeven - if nights are a probably, can you vary your routine a little, mix it up?

D
Old 03-01-2018, 03:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jhonnyspa View Post
ask yourself the question would you really enjoy drinking tonight?
and is drinking still as fun as ever?
actually was wrestling with that tonight...skipped groceries to avoid the wine (that they seem to put everywhere in the store these days) because I wasn't feeling as strong as I would like
Old 03-01-2018, 03:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Couldn't have said it better. Wouldn't want to even try. Well, except I'd say, "I don't drink." The "cannot" term is problematic to me, because I know I "can."

There is no reason/excuse/justification/rationalizing the desire for a drink.

Why even go down that path in my mind and thoughts? I don't engage those thoughts. I don't engage other random destructive thoughts either - like punching that guy in the nose who irritates me, or stealing that purse left unattended in the shopping cart with a wallet peeking out. Why would I start planning how to hide that purse? That just doesn't serve me and isn't something I'd do. Just like I don't invite drinking thoughts to come in, sit down and get comfortable.
Thanks Bim, still early, so some days are easier than others. Today not so much...probably going to try to go to sleep early. Avoidance