SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Day 7 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/424215-day-7-a.html)

Raeven 03-01-2018 06:19 AM

Day 7

I know its early, but thinking how much i would enjoy wine tonight. Has me wondering where that impulse is coming from. ⚡ boredom. Yep, I drank at night, alone. Bored, lazy, stalling on my chores...I think somewhere I knew, but not consciously. Plus, once I drank I had the perfect excuse not to leave the house, couldn't drive...introspection is tough, but I think it s part of the process. Sharing helps, I appreciate the words of encouragement and the me to's. Makes this less lonely. THANK YOU!!

entropy1964 03-01-2018 06:38 AM

I cannot drink, no matter what. So when I have random, meandering thoughts of drinking I shut them down, stat. I don't ponder or negotiate. I don't drink, no matter what and I won't change my mind. I am quite sure this mantra changes my brain over time. In the same way that 'well, maybe, what if, that might be fun'....eventually leads me to drinking.

wayforward 03-01-2018 07:19 AM

7 days is awesome, Raeven.

I can relate to the drinking for boredom thing. I've found that new goals and hobbies to keep me busy have been a great help.

biminiblue 03-01-2018 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 (Post 6805151)
I cannot drink, no matter what. So when I have random, meandering thoughts of drinking I shut them down, stat. I don't ponder or negotiate. I don't drink, no matter what and I won't change my mind. I am quite sure this mantra changes my brain over time. In the same way that 'well, maybe, what if, that might be fun'....eventually leads me to drinking.

Couldn't have said it better. Wouldn't want to even try. Well, except I'd say, "I don't drink." The "cannot" term is problematic to me, because I know I "can."

There is no reason/excuse/justification/rationalizing the desire for a drink.

Why even go down that path in my mind and thoughts? I don't engage those thoughts. I don't engage other random destructive thoughts either - like punching that guy in the nose who irritates me, or stealing that purse left unattended in the shopping cart with a wallet peeking out. Why would I start planning how to hide that purse? That just doesn't serve me and isn't something I'd do. Just like I don't invite drinking thoughts to come in, sit down and get comfortable.

Buckley3 03-01-2018 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Raeven (Post 6805133)
I appreciate the words of encouragement and the me to's. Makes this less lonely. THANK YOU!!

Me too. :P

Congrats on a week! Just think, a sober spring is just around the corner...

jhonnyspa 03-01-2018 02:56 PM

ask yourself the question would you really enjoy drinking tonight?
and is drinking still as fun as ever?

Dee74 03-01-2018 02:58 PM

Congrats in your week Raeven - if nights are a probably, can you vary your routine a little, mix it up?

D

Raeven 03-01-2018 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by jhonnyspa (Post 6805756)
ask yourself the question would you really enjoy drinking tonight?
and is drinking still as fun as ever?

actually was wrestling with that tonight...skipped groceries to avoid the wine (that they seem to put everywhere in the store these days) because I wasn't feeling as strong as I would like

Raeven 03-01-2018 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by biminiblue (Post 6805210)
Couldn't have said it better. Wouldn't want to even try. Well, except I'd say, "I don't drink." The "cannot" term is problematic to me, because I know I "can."

There is no reason/excuse/justification/rationalizing the desire for a drink.

Why even go down that path in my mind and thoughts? I don't engage those thoughts. I don't engage other random destructive thoughts either - like punching that guy in the nose who irritates me, or stealing that purse left unattended in the shopping cart with a wallet peeking out. Why would I start planning how to hide that purse? That just doesn't serve me and isn't something I'd do. Just like I don't invite drinking thoughts to come in, sit down and get comfortable.

Thanks Bim, still early, so some days are easier than others. Today not so much...probably going to try to go to sleep early. Avoidance