Notices

Tips to calm anxiety?

Old 02-28-2018, 01:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tips to calm anxiety?

I have this anxiety - real low level but it sits in my low belly like all day long. You know like when you have a fear of heights and look out over a ledge - that kind of feeling.

Not sure where it is coming from but it is awfully unsettling and looking for any tips to make it go away.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
J50

I think it's important to realize that anxiety can be the result of forward thinking, over events or issues that we have no control over.

For this, the practice of Mindfulness, or living in the present moment, can be helpful

https://youtu.be/2n7FOBFMvXg

Anxiety can also be physiological. I had crazy amounts of anxiety after I stopped drinking. My doctor recommended an SSRI, but I held out. 100+ days later and it has pretty much subsided.

How long have you suffered from this?
Old 02-28-2018, 02:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Easiest, quick is prayer then use an app eg insight timer & do some meditations guided or not. If it’s something w/ a history of, doc or therapist would be last resort! Hope I’ve helped
Old 02-28-2018, 02:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I use an app called Headspace and it has transformed my relationship with my anxiety. Wishing you well on your recovery journey 💜
Old 02-28-2018, 02:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was thinking about that today. I have had it off and on after being bullied in a volunteer position I was in - 2013 - 2014. There would be times I wouldn't be thinking about anything important - maybe having a great time out to the dinner with me family - and it would have a huge grip in my stomach, racing heart, etc. Now that I am quitting drinking the anxiety is a lot more present - not as severe but more there all the time.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
J50

Originally Posted by 02022018 View Post
I was thinking about that today. I have had it off and on after being bullied in a volunteer position I was in - 2013 - 2014. There would be times I wouldn't be thinking about anything important - maybe having a great time out to the dinner with me family - and it would have a huge grip in my stomach, racing heart, etc. Now that I am quitting drinking the anxiety is a lot more present - not as severe but more there all the time.
I drank to curb anxiety but I finally learned that alcohol creates anxiety on top of anxiety, and essentially rewires your brain. My anxiety has leveled off since I stopped drinking. Since then I have cleaned up my diet, exercised more, and have gotten more into my faith. The mindshift change of realizing what I can control, and what I can't, has given me a sense of peace that drinking never did.
Old 02-28-2018, 03:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

One thing I do to calm my anxiety is to pet my dogs and cats.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Nothing works better for me than exercise, or playing my guitar. I literally have to stop thinking about how anxious I am cos that just makes it worse.

D
Old 03-01-2018, 01:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

IME it depends on the cause. For me that was three main things.

My self centred way of thinking and acting seemed to put me in conflict with those around me. Not always directly, often I was disappointed in they way they acted as opoosed to how I thought they should be acting.

I had some secrets, events that happened whuile I was drunk that completely destroyed my personal values. I didn't know who had observed me, or if I had been seen at all, and I was contantly worried about being found out. Some of the memories really were a nightmare.

Then there were the people I had hurt. Looking over my shoulder, expecting a tap, crossing the street to avoid certain people, and worrying about what they were saying to others that might let my secrets out. There was allso some guilt from ripping people of, damaging their property, and lying and blaming others.

Carrying all that around, the least I could expect was a bit of anxiety. In reality, I could not stay sober until I had addressed all those issues.
Old 03-01-2018, 05:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

From what I have learned we need a load of hormones to protect us when danger approaches . I wont go into the list of hormones but adrenaline and cortisol are the main ones . But since there isn't a truck hurtling towards us we don't need a rush of flight or fight hormones so in most cases what causes the anxiety you feel is apprehensive thinking and fear at some level . Your thinking can trigger a steady flow of these stress hormones as if we were in real danger where there is no danger .
I went through and still going through some life situations and due to my fearful and worrying thinking my anxiety levels have went away up .
I know for a fact that when I change the way I think about a situation and look at it in a calmer way my anxiety reduces .

Not wanting to bore you but what also can happen is we make this fearful thinking a habit therefore always feeling on edge , that strange feeling that something bad is about to happen .

Some very good responses on how to manage this anxiety above .

In my case I have been taking a low dose anxiety medication occasionally but it is never the long term solution .

Good luck with this .
Old 03-01-2018, 05:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Tips
Eat whole foods rather than processed.

Drop the sugar and sweet treats.

If you drink carinated drinks reduce them.as much as possible.

This will stop your blood sugar jumping around like a nutter!

Mindfullness is good.

Sleep is v important.

These are just a few things before reaching for a
Pill or potion.