Notices

Snowed in and feeling bad

Old 02-28-2018, 01:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Earth Child

Snowed in and feeling bad

Am in Scotland and at the moment the weather is so bad that we are snowed in no travel at all no buses and no trains serve weather warnings i cant make it to an meeting tomorrow because of this and am feeling a little bit bad the weather warnings in Scotland is not to travel unless you really need to red weather warning worried about homeless people and the vulnerable i thank my higher power am sober and dry and have somewhere warm to sleep people who live above us screaming isnt helping how i feel took my meds for the night going to bed soon got headphones on because of the screaming
hopefully i can get to my meeting on Saturday hopefully it the weather dont stick about
Old 02-28-2018, 02:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi GMS, We've had a brutal winter in Canada this year, too, and it's been so hard for the homeless people. Fortunately, my city opened a new shelter with 60 beds and there were emergency shelters set up too, during the worst weather. I hope that everyone stays safe in your area.

I'm very glad you are safe and warm.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Feel free to use SR to the max GrantMeSerenity whilst you're not able to get to a meeting. I too feel enormous gratitude that I have a warm and safe home...my thoughts are with those less fortunate 💜
Old 02-28-2018, 03:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Lived in Minneapolis, Minnesota for 23 years so I know what you mean about being snowed in. Not fun. If I heard a major storm was coming, I'd go shopping for some warm, comfort food. Maybe a bowl of fries with all the fixins, and some hot chocolate. Throw on a blanket and watch a movie. Nothing else to do. Know what you mean about homeless people. Minneapolis had a lot of shelters, but still must be really hard. Occasionally would hear about fires and explosions in houses and apartments due to people that use gas to heat up their place. Like you, I was grateful I had a warm place to stay. Always on-line AA meetings if that helps. John
Old 02-28-2018, 10:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Do you use the AA speaker recordings? There are thousands to listen to on here...
http://www.recoveryaudio.org

There are ways to work your program at the moment - not ideal, but those things can really help....

Helping other alcoholics- if you have AA phone numbers call them. Others are likely to be feeling like you, and your call could make a big difference to them. Plus there are always folk on here who need a little support and encouragement.

Praying and meditating (tuning in to our HP helps more than tuning into Netflix or whatever.)

Gratitude Lists (as often as you need - hourly if needs be)

Work on your program - not sure which step you're on, but you have a good opportunity while you're snowed in. You may not get that time free again for a while.

Hope things get better soon. I'm down south in an area that seems to deflect snow somehow. I think we got about 2 cm. And even that meant a 1hr 55min commute yesterday instead of the usual 45 mins. I can't imagine what it must be like to get so much and so often as you folk in beautiful Scotland.

BB
Old 02-28-2018, 10:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope the weather gets better soon GMS .

D
Old 03-01-2018, 01:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Whenever I am assessing if something like the weather will prevent me getting to a meeting, especially one I had a commitment to attend, I ask myself if the same conditions in the past had ever prevented me from getting a drink.

Alcoholics have above average willpower and determination when it comes to getting a drink, so the answer was usually no. So If I could find a way to get a drink, I can usually find a way to get to a meeting.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Grantmeserenity. I know exactly how you feel! I have posted the same this morning. I am in North Yorkshire and sick of this snow. I was supposed to collect my dog (from ex husband) on Tuesday, had a handyman coming Wednesday to do all my jobs, and was taking the car in Wednesday (for a scratch repaired) and collecting it tomorrow. None of this has happened cos of the blooming snow.

I am staying on this site most of the time, I walked to my local small cinema yesterday and I baked buns but not being able to get anywhere in the car is hard. We cannot control the weather and it is very frustrating. All I can think is how much I would have loved this if I was drinking. An excuse not to leave the house.

I know Scotland is much worse, I am sorry you can't get to a meeting. Stick around here til it melts, that's what I am planning to do. But am going stir crazy!
Old 03-01-2018, 02:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm supposed to be going on a trip tomorrow. Nightmare! Booked it ages ago
Old 03-01-2018, 06:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Im in Scotland too near Edinburgh and the snow is bad .
We in this country are crippled when we get a bad snow fall . The last time was 2010 .
Gottalife your spot on , when I was drinking it would have taken more than this to keep me from the shop .

Grantmeserenity lets just keep coming here till the weather gets better .

Take care
Old 03-01-2018, 11:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

How's it going GMS?

BB
Old 03-01-2018, 12:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Why not attend live AA meetings online.