Notices

Class Of March 2018 Support Thread - Part One

Old 03-11-2018, 05:11 PM
  # 341 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome ineedtobesober and KatrinaDeee . Welcome from me to you too TiredWoman

welcome back chopstickcheese and ProfessorD

congrats on 2 weeks Max and wastinglife, and on 11 days NT, and 5 days StartingOverNW.

I believe you can stay sober tonight Argi

Hi JayTee and wildflower

hope you feel better Viper!

D
Old 03-11-2018, 05:59 PM
  # 342 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
welcome ineedtobesober and KatrinaDeee . Welcome from me to you too TiredWoman

welcome back chopstickcheese and ProfessorD

congrats on 2 weeks Max and wastinglife, and on 11 days NT, and 5 days StartingOverNW.

I believe you can stay sober tonight Argi

Hi JayTee and wildflower

hope you feel better Viper!

D
As always Dee, thanks for keeping us on the right track! Even when we take a detour!
Old 03-11-2018, 06:40 PM
  # 343 (permalink)  

Hi, all! Thinking of you all tonight. Welcome to all the newcomers - KatrinaDee, Ineedsober2, tiredwoman, and anyone else I've missed.

I'm here on vacay with my family in the Smokies. Haven't been here long, but it's nice so far. No booze in the fridge, at least. It's been nice having my husband staying sober, too. Though his beer never tempted my much.

Have a great Sunday night!
Old 03-11-2018, 07:23 PM
  # 344 (permalink)  

Welcome everyone!

SEVEN DAYS

My cold is a bad one. I spent most of the day cold and sweaty. My lungs are terrible. I started antibiotics, prescription cough suppressant, mucinex expectorant, I’ve got 2 sprays for the throat from Whole Foods. High powered Zinc mixture, and another with Elderberry, echinacea (and 5 other things). That zinc throat spray is soothing too. It’s just a cold, but a very bad one.

It’s 10pm in New England USA. Wish me luck at Apple tomorrow. MacBook Pro keyboard is having issues a month out of warranty. It’s been stressing me out. Well known issue. Mine is just starting to act up. T is almost impossible to use. Other keys I’m hammering on. Apple doesn’t leave their customers out to dry. I’ll see what they offer. But I’m feverish and can’t plead my case too well.

I’m going to bed. Rest and fluids.

Night

Viper
Old 03-12-2018, 01:41 AM
  # 345 (permalink)  

Hey everyone
I'm on day 9 and still feel strong and positive.
It's been a challenging week in a good way.
Finding this site has been a life line for me and I feel I need to check in every day to keep going.
Your encouragement has been outstanding. To think when I joined 5 days ago I thought I could moderate and you completely changed my mindset that I stopped completely. This site probably saved my life! Thanks guys I'm here for you all too and together we can claim our lives back . Good luck
Old 03-12-2018, 02:22 AM
  # 346 (permalink)  

Hello everyone, I had a wonderful night of sleep after my first day of renewed sobriety. Checking in for day 2 with you guys .

Time for a shaving, buying a newspaper and sports!
Old 03-12-2018, 02:52 AM
  # 347 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on your milestones Viper, maxjm and chopstickcheese

D
Old 03-12-2018, 06:35 AM
  # 348 (permalink)  

Good Morning, all.

Day 3 beginning for me. A bit nauseous, but I have been down this road before. Trying to stay hydrated.

Viper - I am also having trouble with the keyboard of my MacBook, also out of warranty. Not sure what is wrong with yours, but my backlight doesn't work. Not that I type in the dark very often, but it does help when on an airplane or in other dim lighting. Went to the Apple store, they opened it up and said there was "residue" on the inside of the keyboard parts, and asked if I spilled anything on it. I don't remember doing that (gosh, I hope it wasn't wine!). Anyway, it will cost more to replace the keyboard than buying a new Mac. Good luck with yours!
Old 03-12-2018, 07:19 AM
  # 349 (permalink)  

Wastinglife, i used to love st. patty's until 4 years ago when I totalled my car and sat in a cold jail cell with my eye swollen shut, crying in a corner for hours. Now it makes me pretty sick and a little angry. Wish I could take it back. Grateful i only hurt myself. Grateful i don't have to participate in it anymore (no more working at a bar) and even more grateful that I don't want to participate this year.

Prof D, glad to see you!!! You got this. When I have relapsed I definitely imbibe more with the intention of making myself have a bad hangover so the next morning I have a higher chance of coming to my senses. Gotta say, it has worked so far. Nothing makes me want to stop more than dying in bed, head like someone is stabbing my brain, dying of thirst but everything coming back up anyways, ohhh man. I don't need to go on. Glad to have you back, hope you're feeling better.

This was a good weekend. Rained alot, so we stayed in Saturday, I made muffins and we watched movies. Yesterday my best drinking buddy came over. She had just broken up with her longtime on off again bf. I was a little worried but not much. She knows how hard I'm working for sobriety and I knew she'd respect it.

SO glad she did and more. She wanted to see wrinkle in time so we did that. I hate movie theaters but I guess I'm becoming a movie person! After I had planned on going to my 7pm meeting and asked if she could give me a ride. She said sure and maybe shed come check out the meeting. She did and she liked it. Enough to want to come again with me next Sunday. I know she's struggled to stop drinking too.

It's exciting enough that I may be on my way to breaking some of my chains to alcohol but if my friend can too, I will be so amazed and happy.

Also today's 3 weeks for my love. So proud of him!!! Longest in years.

Have a beautiful day everyone. Much love
Old 03-12-2018, 08:15 AM
  # 350 (permalink)  

Morning, all. I'm back to feeling just fine. I don't really suffer withdrawal symptoms after the first hangover day. Glad to put it behind me, but I hope I can remember how bad it feels this time. I'm back to my usual self. Just finished my run. I feel optimistic for the first time in two weeks. But I wonder why my good feelings always dissipate after stringing together a few weeks sober?
Old 03-12-2018, 08:26 AM
  # 351 (permalink)  

Morning everyone,

Goodbyeevan, glad you had a good weekend! That's great that your friend wants to continue going to meetings with you, and that your partner is doing well too! Awesome.

ProfD, glad you're feeling good. Your question re. good feelings dissipating after a few weeks is timely for me...I was just thinking about that this morning. I'm 2 1/2 weeks in. The first few weeks I was super gung ho about advancing my recovery. I'm feeling like I'm losing a bit of motivation though. Not that I have much desire to drink, but I worry that if I get too complacent I might relapse. I feel like I need to re-dedicate myself and find ways to maintain my motivation. If anyone has any tips on this, happy to hear them!

Have a good day everyone!

JT
Old 03-12-2018, 09:07 AM
  # 352 (permalink)  

Day 15. I am starting to recognize how my thought patterns play a major role in my alcoholism. I tend to focus on the negative and ruminate about the past. I grew up in an apathetic environment where positiivity never seemed to find a way in. My parents were generally grumpy people. My mother in particular was a belligerent drunk. Haven't seen her without a drink in her hand past 5pm since I was about 11 years old. Alcoholism certainly is a result of 'nature' and 'nuture' in that it runs in my family on both sides and I had a front row seat as my mom drank during my formative years.

I always turned to alcohol to change my thoughts. A few pints literally can do wonders for my mood. An easy quick-fix that is so hard to resist. Not today though! I am going to work on positive thinking without the use of a mind-altering substance. Have a good day March class!
Old 03-12-2018, 09:55 AM
  # 353 (permalink)  

Day 12 today.....and 27 of 40.

I think the 15 days I had prior definitely helped me by not losing sight. And believe me, I've lost sight completely many, many times.

Nice job Marchers.......keep it up!
Old 03-12-2018, 10:06 AM
  # 354 (permalink)  

ProfessorD - I am the same in that I really only feel physically bad that first day or two. I wish I knew too why after stringing together a few weeks we choose to go back to the madness.

In my case, I think it's just become such a deeply engrained habit. How could it not be? I mean, after years of "feel irritable/sad/bored/relieved then drink", breaking that habit and developing new ones isn't easy. I have actively known I need to quit, and off-and-on tried to, for over 4 years now. Ugh. It has been hard for me to push much past the 2 month mark. I need to keep the same resolve and focus on recovery at 2 months as I do at 2 weeks. I love this quote I got from someone here on SR: "If you find yourself ten miles in the woods, don't expect a quarter mile walk back."
Old 03-12-2018, 10:29 AM
  # 355 (permalink)  

Love that quote!!! So true.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:01 AM
  # 356 (permalink)  

I haven’t been on here much due to some issues so behind on reading post but hopefully everyone is okay and doing good if not dust yourself off and keep on keeping on remember one day at a time trust yourself and your class and SR to get you through those rough moments you can always PM if you need someone to talk to I’m here for you take care y’all make it a good day h^ll of a lot better then a bad day
Take care y’all
Old 03-12-2018, 11:24 AM
  # 357 (permalink)  

Hi everyone - just checking in on day 6. I've been on vacation the last few days and used it as an excuse to get sobered up again, and so far its seemed to have worked. Vacation is ending today though so I have a travel day today and then back to the grind. My sleep hasnt been so great but I'm hopeful things will be getting better heading into week 2. I hope you all have a god sober day and thanks for being here
Old 03-12-2018, 11:30 AM
  # 358 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. I’m back and ready to try again.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:59 PM
  # 359 (permalink)  

Celebrating sober Day 1 by saying a bit fat no to social events that would put me back in the line of fire out at the bar. Tonight you will find me drinking La Croix in my pajamas and a big blanket, thank you very much.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:59 PM
  # 360 (permalink)  

Hi - I want to post this for accountability...I was doing some cleaning this afternoon and I came across a half-finished box of wine that I had stashed away in our closet. It was what I'd been drinking a few weeks ago, on the day that I did some things I really regret while drunk. The day after that, I committed to getting sober.

Anyways, I found the box of wine and felt a pang of regret and self-loathing as the memory of that day came back. Then, stupidly, I found myself taking a long, hard look at the box, thinking I could pull it out and just have a few drinks....it would help me feel better...UGH. Thankfully I was able to turn my back on it and I'm sitting here with a cup of tea instead.

It goes to show how powerful a hold alcohol can have - on seeing the box, I had a powerful feeling of repulsion and then a powerful urge to drink all in less than a minute! It was a reminder to reinvigorate my efforts towards recovery. I'm going to do an on-line SMART meeting tonight, and an in-person meeting later this week.

Just thought I'd share.