Notices

Relapse and telling my son who is in recovery.

Old 02-27-2018, 10:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Relapse and telling my son who is in recovery.

Hello,
This is my first post on this site but I’m not new to recovery. I’ve abused both alcohol and prescription drugs but mostly alcohol. I was sober for seven years but just relapsed last week on prescription drugs. I broke my leg in November and was given oxycodone for pain. I hardly used any of it at all. But over the last few weeks I started to take more while not following the doctors instructions. I managed to convince myself that I was taking it for pain because I was having more of it due to more intense physical therapy. But the reality is I was taking them to feel better because of stress due a family situation. I was completely in denial.
I know what I have to do for my recovery. But the biggest issue that’s torturing me is having to tell my adult children, one of whom is in recovery, and I’m so afraid they’ll be very disappointed, especially the one in recovery.
My husband, who is not an alcoholic, says I don’t need to tell because it will just hurt them, especially the one in recovery, and it won’t accomplish anything. Some parallels to the ninth step I guess.
I haven’t talked to a sponsor about. I’m between sponsors, something I know contributed to my relapse. But I’m going to ask a friend to become my sponsor this afternoon and I’m sure I’ll get sound advice. But I’m hoping that some of you here could share some thoughts.
Thanks
Old 02-27-2018, 11:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR Franharr, glad you've come here seeking help and advice. I'm not sure you'd need to tell them either if you don't want to, but if being honest and telling them will aid you in recovery/acceptance i'd still do it. Who knows, they might actually be supportive and thankful that you were honest.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome! Sorry, you are here under these circumstances, but glad to have ya!

If I were the person who wrote this. I would not tell my children.

Step 9 would be 1 of my reasons not to do so:
Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others."
What Is the Purpose of This Step?
The purpose of Step 9 of Alcoholics Anonymous is to take action and apologize to those you have harmed with your drinking.
Did you harm your children?

I think if this was going on for a while (it sounds like a few weeks) and was wreaking havoc, then maybe I would tell them.

I wish you the best in whatever decision you make

-DC
Old 02-27-2018, 04:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For me personally, I would definitely tell my children. Especially if I had one who was also in recovery. Facing up to our shortcomings and failures be they a relapse or anything else helps put our ego back in check and fosters honesty. Some of your family may or may not know already. When my own dad relapsed, I knew about for weeks before he finally came clean about it. Could tell in his attitude. I just knew.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Rar

I agree with your husband, Scott and DreamCatcher - Step 9. Continue with a renewed sobriety.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with your husband and others. There is no need to tell your adult children if it has potential to hurt them.

I'm glad you're getting back on track.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome Franharr

I'm not a parent, so it probably makes sense to defer to those who are.

Only you know all the parties in the situation.

D
Old 02-27-2018, 05:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sometimes honesty is not the best policy especially if it will hurt someone. It is good that you have gotten honest with yourself about the pills. You have corrected the situation and are moving forward. It does not have to be anything more unless you desire it to be.

That being said, I dont know anything of the situation aside from what you have written.
Old 02-27-2018, 05:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Gosh, I think you need to pray about this. Had a similar thing happened to me I would let my children know. It would not bother them to any great extent and they would be pleased on two fronts, my honesty with them, and the fact that I had done something about it and was back in recovery. They may be hurt if I kept this from them and they found out some other way.

Secrets in families are not a good thing, and they have a way of getting out. I am completely open with my family.

If I happened to feel as you seem to be indicating I might also take a good look at my real motives. Shame seems to be a thing. I could be ashamed of such a situation especially as I might feel I had let people down. Would it be a good thing to internalise that shame? Could my ego be getting in the way here? Is my real reason for keeping the secret that I feel my children will think less of me if they know the truth? Would I be playing God here, prejudging how they will feel and react?

The situation you described seems to be common enough among alcoholics, it comes up in meetings now and then. It seems to me the ones that are honest and open about it not only recover, but set a great example to anyone else of the rigorous honesty this program requires.

I am not suggesting any other course of action other than you pray about it and consult with others close to you. All the best.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Welcome to SR

Personally, I agree with the others who said it is a 9th step situation.
Unless you did something to them which warrant amends, you really don't need to come "clean" especially if it would hurt them.
The most important thing is that you are being honest with yourself and your SO.
My suggestion for you would be to tighten up your program and look at what led to your slip (mentally).

Old 03-02-2018, 12:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I would tell your adult children. It’s important to be honest in recovery. This is not an amends, so Step 9 does not really apply. This is about being honest with your recovery and showing them that you are back on track.