Notices

husband cleaned out our checking and savings

Old 02-26-2018, 05:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

husband cleaned out our checking and savings

I have been sober 40 days. My husband filed for divorce 2 weeks ago and did not tell me. I was served on Friday. Prior to being served he cleaned out our checking and savings. All but $174.00. I tried to get repairs on my car but it was declined. I have enough for gas and some groceries.
Old 02-26-2018, 05:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

oh... he hired the best and most expensive lawyer.... leaving me with nothing to pay my own,
Old 02-26-2018, 05:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am so sorry you are dealing with this. Can you get to a meeting? Even if you haven’t been to AA before I think you will find strength and fellowship there that will help you through this challenge.
Old 02-26-2018, 05:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Mum - hang in there. That poophead will get his! I’m the mean time, as they say in AA, try to do the next right thing. I agree a meeting may be a relieving place right now. Take care, keeping you in my thoughts
Old 02-26-2018, 05:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I once came home to discover my wife had stolen everything we owned and abducted the children.

I’m sorry for the shock and awfulness of what you’re going through. I know how it feels to be blindsided by someone you love.

Please stay sober and focus on the now, your sobriety and your life in the moment.

It’ll be OK. It’s terrible, but it’ll be ok.
Old 02-26-2018, 05:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mumther911 View Post
oh... he hired the best and most expensive lawyer.... leaving me with nothing to pay my own,
My heart is sinking. I’m so sorry you are dealing with this. I know the paralyzing fear that comes from feeling or having little to no resources to deal with things - even the simplest of things.

Brainstorm - is there state, federal, or county assistance you can look into? Do you have friends or fam that can help you - even if it’s just helping with groceries or whatever.

This is serious crap lord behavior - i wonder how the court will look at I. Seems even a legal clerk could use this to your advantage.

Do you have any possessions you can sell? Protect yourself however you need to. ...

Also, maybe just pick one or two of what you think your best options are and commit to pursuing tomorrow. If you can just do one or things....maybe it will help with feeling overwhelmed.

So much easier said I know...
Old 02-26-2018, 06:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just do not pick up a drink.

You can make it through this but not if you drown in a bottle.

I agree about getting to a meeting, as many meetings as possible.
Old 02-26-2018, 06:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry this happened to you,mumther911.

I would advise you to consult a lawyer... ASAP

The first consultation is usually free. He cannot simply empty all accounts and leave you with nothing. Find out what your rights are.

Whatever you do... don't drink over this.
Old 02-26-2018, 06:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so sorry for your situation.

I hope you have family that can help you out temporarily. Do get a lawyer and see what your rights are.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh man I am so sorry to hear this. Virtual hugs! I know Karma... she has a way of taking care of these type of things in her own way. I wish you all the best and I am sorry you are dealing with this. Drinking won't help.
Old 02-27-2018, 05:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Rar

Oh Mumther, I'm so sorry this is happening to you. First - do not pick up a drink.

Second: - (perhaps an attorney will chime in here) - I don't know where you're from, but I believe an attorney can file for immediate help/assistance from your husband pending the outcome of the final divorce. Additionally, as part of the final divorce settlement, your attorney costs can be added to what he will have to pay. It could be you will have to pay a retainer, though.

Don't drink. You need your wits about you.
Old 02-27-2018, 05:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My heart just hurt as I read this last not. I could just imagine how you might be feeling. I would look up Pro Bono lawyers in your area. I have a couple of friends that had messy divorces where the husband yielded power like this and they were able to find good lawyers who get really pissed about and helped them immensely.
Old 02-27-2018, 05:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry mumther - I hope you have friends and family to help you through?

D