Notices

One Month Sober!

Old 02-25-2018, 11:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One Month Sober!

Hey, ladies and gentlemen. Hope everyone here is well and staying sober. I know I haven’t been all that active since January. Back at university and work, so I have been very busy.

Today marks being sober for a month. The longest time I’ve been on a sober streak in years. I’ve found a good AA group, filled with wonderful and supportive people. It has helped tremendously. Plus I’m also doing therapy and reading lots of reading material on alcoholism. Can’t tell you how good it feels to wake up in the mornings with a fresh, clear head – as opposed to the horrible feelings that are hangovers.

Last Friday was my cousin’s birthday party. Started with a meal in a restaurant and then ended up in a bar. I stuck to water and juice while everyone else was drinking. Still had a great time. I’ve been honest with the people closest to me. That I’m an alcoholic and I’m quitting the stuff. Everyone at the get together knows how much I love alcohol and how much I can drink (made quite a rep for myself when it comes to my love for booze). Everyone at the gathering was supportive.

Though not everything is all sunshine and rainbows. I smoked marijuana on Thursday night after a particularly stressful day at school. Now it’s not that I’m inherently against weed – however, it’s a mind altering drug that makes a lot of things seem okay (in my opinion). Last time I relapsed was after having a joint and my mind telling me “one glass of wine won’t hurt.” We all know how that ends up with people like us. That one glass ended up with me finishing two bottles of wine. And I must say I do love the feeling of being high and drunk at the same time.

All in all, however, I’m feeling very optimistic. You guys were right – it does get easier as time passes. I know a month is nothing compared to some of you – who have gone years – but it’s a start!
Old 02-25-2018, 11:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well done tired woman.
The danger here is swapping one drug for another.
It takes on many forms the beast within.
Stay positive
Good luck
Take care
Old 02-25-2018, 11:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Snowydelrico View Post
Well done tired woman.
The danger here is swapping one drug for another.
It takes on many forms the beast within.
Stay positive
Good luck
Take care
Yes this is very true. That's why I still feel guilty about the joint on Thursday. Some at AA actually had this problem - swapped alcohol with THC. Nothing really changed for him. Same cycle all over again.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for the update tiredwoman - congrats on your month

D
Old 02-26-2018, 02:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for checking inTiredWoman! It does sound like a lot of good things are going on for you. I'd be remiss not to add, though....IMO mind-altering drugs used with an intent to get some kind of high mean we are not sober. Good that you plan to focus on drinking, but I'd echo that comment above about substituting one substance for another; it would not mean I was continuously sober.

Are you working a plan? Mine is AA and others can attest to their success with different programs of action- that being the key word.

Best to you.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on one month!
Old 02-26-2018, 03:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

way to go!!!

good for you, keeping your head in recovery with reading and AA and therapy and active engagement in sobriety. That's the way to do it!!!

always remember each day is a chance to deepen sobriety or to threaten it.

every day, every moment.... we have a choice. Which direction will we take it?

Keep up the good work

Old 02-26-2018, 04:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You go TW--
So pleased to hear your update and wishing you the very best
Old 02-26-2018, 04:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Rar

Congratulations on your month Tiredwoman! Well done!
Old 02-26-2018, 06:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was wondering what happened to you. Congrats on a month sober! Keep going!
Old 02-26-2018, 07:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am so glad to hear!!!!! I was thinking about you often, so this is so awesome!
Keep it up
Old 02-26-2018, 08:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the lovely messages, folks.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Thanks for checking inTiredWoman! It does sound like a lot of good things are going on for you. I'd be remiss not to add, though....IMO mind-altering drugs used with an intent to get some kind of high mean we are not sober. Good that you plan to focus on drinking, but I'd echo that comment above about substituting one substance for another; it would not mean I was continuously sober.

Are you working a plan? Mine is AA and others can attest to their success with different programs of action- that being the key word.

Best to you.
Yeah the weed is definitely a slippery slope for me. Last time I relapsed was because of it. I guess part of me thinks "hell, can't I just enjoy a joint and get high like a 'normal person.'" But truth is we are addicts and for us, no matter the substance, addictive tendencies are always around the corner for us.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DreamCatcher17 View Post
I am so glad to hear!!!!! I was thinking about you often, so this is so awesome!
Keep it up
Thanks, DreamCatcher . I saw your message. Thank you so much for your concern. I mean it.