Notices

Kombucha: yay or nay?

Old 02-24-2018, 10:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Kombucha: yay or nay?

I just learned that it has trace amount of alcohol in it. I haven't had it since I quit, but I used to love it! I'm thinking it's a no (better safe than sorry, right?). But I wonder if/how it would affect an alcoholic. Would it make me want to drink? Would it inhibit liver healing? I've done some googling, but the jury seems hung on the topic. And I'm more interested in what you wise ex-drunks have to say, anyway
Old 02-24-2018, 10:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I love kombucha! Used to brew my own but it got out of control. I haven't noticed it causing a problem.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had to google it. I don't see a problem,but I also don't see NA beer(I don't drink it..tastes like crap) or my food, when out, being cooked with booze,as a problem. To me it's flavor in that fashion. I know some are stricter on their sobriety though. To each their own.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Anytime this topic comes up I always suggest that one checks their own motives for drinking any NA beverage that contains traces of alcohol. If you have to ask if it's OK, it's probaly not, right?
Old 02-24-2018, 11:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I guess its up to the individual. I don't drink NA products because 1)they taste gross and have lots of calories 2) they are meant to mimic alcohol....so that's kind of a brain game for me.

I love Kombucha. It is an awesome probiotic/prebiotic, is low in calories and some of them taste great. The good ones are expensive however so I usually drink it most in the summers, when its very cooling (or at least seems to be). In my state we have 'growler' stations in stores and in some gas stations. They have included local craft Kombucha makers for those of us that don't want the booze. Its cool. There is absolutely no mind altering effects from Kombucha...at least not for me. There are higher level alcohol kombuchas but they will be very clearly marked as such so that check out people don't sell it to underage kids. And frankly I don't think any stores in my area even sell it. I've just seen it online.
Old 02-24-2018, 12:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It really is only trace amounts and I don't see the problem with it, however I think it depends on whether drinking it will set off your AV as it may view you drinking it as a reason to drink a real alcoholic drink..
I personally don't think it will set off a physical reaction maybe a mental one if you are already asking the question.. It is fantastic for the gut and it would be a shame that you missed out..
Old 02-24-2018, 12:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I find it very helpful for digestion and not at all triggering,
but everybody is different.

I don't drink it because of the alcohol, but because it is very healthy and tasty.
Old 02-24-2018, 01:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

OK, thanks everyone. I do really like it, especially in the summers like someone mentioned above. Maybe I will keep it in that case!
Old 02-24-2018, 03:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I do like kombucha. It is very refreshing and has beneficial probiotics and less alcohol that a NA beer (which I don't really care for.) There is a brewery down the street where I perform music and they have kombucha on tap. It's nice to be able to have something other than a soda.
Old 02-24-2018, 04:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have no experience at all with this - it doesn't appeal to me at all - but I remember one member here blaming it for a relapse.

They are many kinds available, both commercially and home made.

If you're going to drink it, I'd check out the ingredients stats first.

D
Old 02-24-2018, 05:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ive been drinking it,havent had a problem. I dont have
any interest in drinking ten of them. I dont even drink
a full glass.

Soy sauce has alcohol too. I'm not about to stop using soy sauce.

I think it depends on the person.

+1 for the gut health. The kafir milk is great too.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Oh, boy. soy sauce? I also love Kefir and apple cider vinegar...hmm, I think I need to do some research
Old 02-25-2018, 05:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I wouldn’t worry about traces of alcohol in kombucha if you don’t associate it with drinking alcohol. There are trace amounts of alcohol in most bread products and most ex drinkers eat bread without any problems.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I drink kombucha occasionally. Once in a while, I've had an unpleasant sensation with it where the alcohol content must have been just high enough to create an effect in my brain of a slight fuzziness....

Because of that, I only drink it from time to time and only a small glass at a time. It's never tempted me to drink, but it has at times been a reminder there's alcohol content.

It's probably something that should be approached with caution for anyone who has an alcohol addiction.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I drink it for the probiotics (I don't consume dairy, so yogurt is out). However, because it's expensive, I only take a few sips each day. I've never noticed any effects from the trace amounts of alcohol, and it certainly never caused me to have cravings.

Others have their own take on Kombucha, so to each his or her own.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I love it. Same amount of alcohol as orange juice! *lots of health benefits
Old 02-25-2018, 08:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Triggering for me, and for others too, is a psychological issue, not a chemical one. I decided a long time ago that nothing would ever induce me to drink, so I have no qualms about drinking OJ, snapple, NA beer or kombucha, all of which have small amounts of alcohol. Many common foods and beverages have trace amounts of alcohol too, and they don't bother me either. Brownies, however, do bother me, but it's nothing to do with the tsp of 80 proof vanilla extract in the recipe, I just don't need more butter and sugar.

This really is your call, and no one else's, Professor. Some get the screaming meemies if you mention incidental alcohol, while others, like me, could not care less. If you feel kombucha is beneficial to you, and you enjoy it, have at it. If it makes you uneasy, find another way. It depends solely on you.