SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   AA Gem (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/423912-aa-gem.html)

sweetichick 02-23-2018 05:30 PM

AA Gem

My constant problem has been picking up the first drink. An old timer in AA today asked me what the problem is. I said that I say to myself what will one bottle hurt. He made it simple. The answer is that it will hurt because I am an alcoholic. He has 40 years sobriety and said he could use my excuse anytime. So obvious. Hope this helps someone.

Dee74 02-23-2018 05:42 PM

Solid gold advice :)

D

wehav2day 02-23-2018 08:57 PM

Yep, it’s that simple. Not necessarily easy, but simple.

You have a sponsor? Working those steps, suddenly some of those aa-isms started to make sense to me. Good luck!

Forward12 02-23-2018 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by sweetichick (Post 6798322)
My constant problem has been picking up the first drink. An old timer in AA today asked me what the problem is. I said that I say to myself what will one bottle hurt. He made it simple. The answer is that it will hurt because I am an alcoholic. He has 40 years sobriety and said he could use my excuse anytime. So obvious. Hope this helps someone.

Make sure it helps you first! Otherwise great advice.

sweetichick 02-24-2018 01:51 AM

I am finding this sobriety thing a real adventure. Falling asleep at odd moments. I am 50 and do want to live again before I die. This lady today became an alkyl when she ret8red. Whatever bless God there's still life in the old girl yet.

Rar 02-24-2018 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by sweetichick (Post 6798671)
I am finding this sobriety thing a real adventure. Falling asleep at odd moments. I am 50 and do want to live again before I die. This lady today became an alkyl when she ret8red. Whatever bless God there's still life in the old girl yet.

My drinking escalated when I retired. I have read that alcoholism or 'problem drinking' is very common among the retired (or elderly).

Nonsensical 02-24-2018 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by sweetichick (Post 6798671)
I am finding this sobriety thing a real adventure.

Me too.

And to think....
I almost missed it!

Keep rocking it Sweetichick!

FreeOwl 02-24-2018 03:01 AM

What will one bottle hurt?

Everything and everyone I cherish most.

shortstop81 02-24-2018 04:25 AM

What's the use of one bottle?

One bottle wouldn't be enough to satisfy me. It will spark a chain reaction of a downward spiral of drinking. How do I know that? From many MANY years of experience.

The thought that one bottle won't hurt me is objectively insane.

tomsteve 02-24-2018 06:12 AM

them old timers do have some good wisdom.

hpdw 02-24-2018 10:53 AM

Good for you Sweetchick , When I attended AA I used to and still do love listening to the old timers and not so old timers in here . Sometimes it's the simple little sayings that are the most profound .
One that I need to apply to myself right now is " easy does it " and a regular recital of the serenity prayer .

PeacefulWater12 02-24-2018 11:20 AM

My drinking ran riot when I retired. My husbands too.