Notices

when it hits home

Old 02-23-2018, 12:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

when it hits home

Over 4 years of sobriety and of bearing witness to many others' journeys and struggles in addiction, I've learned and seen a lot.

And in my own journey of 25+ years of drinking and drugging and then finally breaking free, I've learned a lot and seen a lot.

I've seen it hit many folks I've considered friends. Some recovered. Some still haven't. Some died before they managed to....

Now I have it hitting close to home. A family member. I'm finding it a lot harder. I know there's nothing I can do but offer my example, my Experience, Strength and Hope. Support the others in my family who are struggling to understand it....

I know there's really nothing I can do or say that will matter unless and until that person becomes ready to be fully honest. A person still in their 20's. A person I look back and see myself reflected in. I know how long and how much misery it took to finally reach that readiness.

The point to this ramble, I think, is just to share and to empathize with others who are there, have been there, may be there again.

And also - to those who still struggle with your own journey to sobriety, know this; people who love you stand by and wait..... maybe they don't seem to 'get it'.... maybe you think they don't understand....

But sometimes, you're actually surrounded by people who are there to support you in any way they can the instant you're ready.

Old 02-23-2018, 01:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's so hard to look at someone and almost be able to intuit what will happen to them in the future, and you KNOW you can help but you also know you can't.....
Old 02-23-2018, 01:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

yep.

exactly.....

Old 02-23-2018, 03:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry Free Owl - I hope and pray they have the same window of clarity we did.

D
Old 02-23-2018, 04:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks, Dee. Me too.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The scariest part of the disease it is, I think to some degree, inherited. Both my parents were alcoholics. All of my siblings exhibit alcoholism. The younger of my two older sisters has been to rehab for coke and alcohol. My other 2 siblings are heavy drinkers.

I am horrified though, that my oldest son is trending in a direction with alcohol that scares the bejeezus out of me. For a long time I exhibited behavior that almost glamorized drinking. And he thinks it’s cool. He does not realize the danger alcohol poses for our family.

So in addition to cleaning myself up, I am concerned my dear son is on the same path.