Notices

Water retention

Old 02-22-2018, 03:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Water retention

I had a few slips but have generally been sober since January 3rd. I know it's not a long time but I thought my swollen abdomen and legs would have gone down by now a bit. I don't eat crazy amounts of salt--or anything for that matter. I drink at least 2 liters of water a day but do have probably 1 or 2 diet drinks. Any tips ? Should I go to a bland diet ? Take water pills? Will either of these things help? I know time is the healer but I'm going on a long trip April 2 and would like to be a bit less uncomfortable. Thanks for any help
Old 02-22-2018, 03:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Do you know it's water? Weight gain is pretty common in sobriety. I gained 20 eating sugar and processed carbs. Its going down now... Months after quitting, I track every bite that I eat.
Old 02-22-2018, 03:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm fairly sure. I really have been tracking my food too and im.seeimg swelling in my legs that I never saw before
Old 02-22-2018, 03:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

If it's really concerning you, why not see a Dr 4thegirls? put your mind at ease?

D
Old 02-22-2018, 05:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree with Dee a doctor visit is probably in order.

Having said that my body had its own timeline on things. It may have been because I was predominantly a weekend binge drinker, but I lost a couple pounds month one, then a bit more month 2 bit more month 3. Tomorrow is 4 months, and I don't retain water, my tummy is much flatter. Every body has its own timeline to flush toxins.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

One other thing, you are supposed to drink 2/3 Your body weight in ounces. So 8x8 works for some, but for small buffalos like me, I need a litre more. I actually did the gallon a day challenge and am at almost 4 months with it too.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Same as Dee , be safe .
Old 02-23-2018, 04:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I know I am still retaining water something awful - in my legs and abdomen. For me exercise tends to help a lot - I just have not done anything in a month because of pain. I think drinking may reset that balance in the body - so each slip whacks out your body. Also, I would make sure you are drinking enough water as it is different for everyone - I think I am doing fine but my urine is still not light colored so gotta chug more.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If it's water retention you will have "pitting edema". Press your finger into the swollen part of your leg for 5 seconds. Does it leave a dent?

How far into sobriety are you? I've had little issues with water retention in my legs. Nothing major but my ankles can get puffy and I will have pitting edema.

It's funny you mention exercise. Yesterday I was walking for 4 hours non stop. My feet were so sore. I did a 12 mile hike/walk. I didn't have any swelling at all. I woke up this morning and there's a but of puffiness but no pitting edema. I have a feeling mine is either an injury, or this is just how it is for some of is in recovery.

I also have a round stomach. I am not sure if that's weight gain though because I'm 16 stone. I am working on losing 2 of those.

Keep us updated I am in the same boat although my swelling isn't that bad. It was very bad when I was drinking though.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 16YearsDrunk View Post
If it's water retention you will have "pitting edema". Press your finger into the swollen part of your leg for 5 seconds. Does it leave a dent?

How far into sobriety are you? I've had little issues with water retention in my legs. Nothing major but my ankles can get puffy and I will have pitting edema.

It's funny you mention exercise. Yesterday I was walking for 4 hours non stop. My feet were so sore. I did a 12 mile hike/walk. I didn't have any swelling at all. I woke up this morning and there's a but of puffiness but no pitting edema. I have a feeling mine is either an injury, or this is just how it is for some of is in recovery.

I also have a round stomach. I am not sure if that's weight gain though because I'm 16 stone. I am working on losing 2 of those.

Keep us updated I am in the same boat although my swelling isn't that bad. It was very bad when I was drinking though.
Yep, this is how I know as well - press in and the dent slowly comes out - both in my legs and in my belly. The reason exercise helps is because when your body stores carb it also stores water with it. When you exercise, you burn those carbs and the water goes along with it.

I am sure the alcohol has quite a bit to do with it tho. I remember in my mid-20's before I was a daily drinker - we would go out every weekend and drink. At one point, I gained like 10 lbs within a couple of weeks. I told my doctor and she said it was probably just weight gain. WHAT??? In two weeks??? It was water retention.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Another vote for the docs. Liver, heart, and diabetes conditions can cause this as well.
Don't self diagnose which isn't a good thing to do, leave that to the professionals.
Old 02-23-2018, 05:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

If it is indeed water retention - I would go to the Dr. as well - making sure to be candid about your drinking. They will usually do blood tests to determine how your body is functioning.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Rar

I had (what I thought) was severe edema in my ankles when I was drinking heavily. Even my shoes left a mark. The severe edema disappeared within 2 weeks after quitting. I still have a puffy abdomen, but I think it's plain old fat.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

If you are experiencing edema it could be very serious. Not to scare you but reduced function in heart, kidney, and liver can all cause water retention because they are not functioning properly.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Rar

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
If you are experiencing edema it could be very serious. Not to scare you but reduced function in heart, kidney, and liver can all cause water retention because they are not functioning properly.

I agree. The edema was one of the primary reasons I quit.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rar View Post
I had (what I thought) was severe edema in my ankles when I was drinking heavily. Even my shoes left a mark. The severe edema disappeared within 2 weeks after quitting. I still have a puffy abdomen, but I think it's plain old fat.
Did you see your doc, or just guessing?
Old 02-24-2018, 12:22 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

What kind of exercise do you do? I know I was getting uncomfortable in my weight, when I started getting sober. I wasn't doing anything active towards it though. I also wasn't bad.. I think maybe 195'ish lbs at 6'1.. I prefer to be around 170-180/toned though. So, I felt 'uncomfortable'.
Old 02-24-2018, 12:42 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Since I can't edit...What's "generally sober since Jan 3 mean?" Truthfully.
Old 02-24-2018, 01:18 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Some taking care of self tips for my problems with that,
good hot showers and baths, with epsom salt if that is something you can tolerate.
Keep up with the water consumption- but don't overdo it... I actually made various medical problems worse by doing that.

I do also agree a trip to the doc is in order. Some blood work to rule out electrolyte and other issues is something I think is important when we are working to get sober and healthy.
So, a good diet, a trip to the doctor, and the best self care in the mean time is in order.

I also had pitting edema, more than once. This last relapse I got it again fairly bad and quick, and I'm pretty small and don't eat much.
I started eating small meals, less salt like you said, and switched out alcohol with water and ONLY water because sugary drinks and even club soda which I love were not helping.

I would say not only a doctor's visit, but if it's possible maybe a dietician? My counselors keep strongly recommending that to me lol.
I'd say give any healthy thing a go.
Old 02-24-2018, 01:43 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Rar

Originally Posted by Forward12 View Post
Did you see your doc, or just guessing?
Just guessing.