Notices

Advice on mingling with drinking buddies?

Old 03-13-2018, 09:07 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sophie11 View Post
Okay I appreciate that I’m very much going against the consensus here, but I’ve met up with friends who drink and not drank myself. I told them in advance that I was on antibiotics that would make me puke if I drank. That way I was locked in to not drinking, not only in my mind but in theirs. It took the ‘are you sure you can’t have just one?’ out of it for everyone. And then I very specifically pre-planned exactly what nonalcoholic drink I was going to order so there was no hesitating at the bar. And make it clear straight up that you aren’t in on ‘rounds’. After that, just act normal and they should too. If they don’t, leave.

Again, all other advice seems to be to the contrary so certainly go with your conscience and DO NOT put your recovery st risk! But thought I’d put my two cents in.
I have done that too Sophie, and no one battered an eyelid. Key was I had a plan!!! Told them on medication so cant drink, didnt get in rounds. Went to the bar and ordered a lime and lemonade which was MORE EXPENSIVE!!! than a beer. Was gutted I wasnt in a round then but got through it fine and no one forced me. They got drunker and drunker and louder and louder and my resolve got stronger and stronger as I was seeing how annoying I would have been if I WAS drinking. I left a bit early feeling good.and felt even better the next day when people were telling me how rough they were while I had already been for a run and they were asking questions like when did you leave / didnt see you go / where did we go after that? I honestly didnt find it hard. I did however slip when I was caught off guard after a game of squash and the old "well one cant hurt" snuck up on me and BOOM off I went again.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:13 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad all went well Irishlaw...and yes I endorse Augusts sentiments

D