Notices

I haven’t been able to find anything ...

Old 02-21-2018, 01:46 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I get great joy from simple things like walking my dogs. There's no feeling of being 'high', just an overwhelming happiness that comes over me when I'm watching them sniffing and just being dogs.

I don't need the 'high' feeling when I'm happy most of the time.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:03 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I get great joy from simple things like walking my dogs. There's no feeling of being 'high', just an overwhelming happiness that comes over me when I'm watching them sniffing and just being dogs.

I don't need the 'high' feeling when I'm happy most of the time.
This is HUGE too..The not really looking for a 'high',but just being happy and being content. I think in active, whatever addiction, we lose sight of the 'slow/simple life'. When active everything seems to be in fast forward because we're so 'busy' covering traces,saving faces,planning the next,ect(which is ,to me, actually another form of a 'high' from active addiction that I got)..that we overcomplicate 'real life' once sober. Great post,least!
Old 02-21-2018, 02:10 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Exercise and Meditation

I do not feel very qualified to comment (since I am on day 6 sober).

I wonder if exercise or meditation might give you that high? At least that is what I like to think.

Someone here suggested calling alcohol poison (which it is) and that helps me to re-frame my thinking about it.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:19 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
totfit

I kind of think "I will never find that high, but I will never have that low." There are a lot of things that bring joy in my life. Joy is higher than high. It reaches deep inside us and fills us whole. Yep, I will never find that high, but I have found something better. For just daily stuff the helps me: copious exercise and getting outdoors, healthy diet, and occasional healthy conversation.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:28 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Ok, obviously I love running...

I won't state the obvious here, I'm definitely a fan of a runner's high.

As far as what you describe, this is something I've struggled with myself, as I've seen it as separate.

Truthfully, though, what I've found is laughter. If I'm at a place where I can laugh with someone I love, that replaces the high ten fold. My happiest memories are wholesome, silly moments, where my husband has made up a song about something or I've done something (sober!) ridiculous. And those moments just don't make themselves known when I've been drinking.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:37 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
Recovery was the thing that made me realise that I'd been searching for the wrong things in the wrong places. Just sobriety left me restless, irritable and discontent as well.

BB
I think that’s what I’m struggling with right now - trying to figure out the difference between the two. I always thought sobriety equaled recovery. I’m now learning that couldn’t be the furthest thing from the truth.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:38 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your responses. I appreciate and value each one.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:58 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Flinders

A lot of us look for a replacement high. I was several months into my recovery before I realised that looking for a high was old behaviour.

I was still looking for escape from reality.

The more I focused on building a sober life I loved the less I wanted to escape from it.

I love life and all its ups and downs now.
Sometimes I'm joyous and sometimes not.

That's human existence

D
Old 02-21-2018, 07:48 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
i had a popcorn and chocolate milk party with my 4 year old great nephew the other night. we watched "the incredibles" and he fell asleep in my recliner with me.
there is absolutely no high or feeling alcohol could being that could even come close to matching how i felt that night.

i wouldnt have imagined that would occur early on, but it did.
Yeah!! I have 6 nieces and nephews, and I’m so happy to be spending quality time with them these days. So much joy.