Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

I will not drink tonight - and would be very grateful for support

Notices

Old 02-20-2018, 10:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi,

I'm feeling really vulnerable to the urge to drink tonight. It's evening here. I've been working at a location quite far from my home and I have a long journey to get back.

I'm getting stupid thoughts about just drinking tonight and all those kinds of lies. What's worrying is that I'm finding it hard to remember the reasons I want to stay sober. I'm going into a day dream state and finding it hard to stay focussed. (This is partly exhaustion I think - a lot of stress and anxiety and not much sleep.)

I'm on Day 21. I want tomorrow to be Day 22. Please could I ask for some support and encouragement? I feel like I really need it tonight.

I won't be able to check the forum for an hour or two because I have to get a train and won't have access. But I wanted to post before I set off so I have some accountability and maybe someone could send some good sobriety vibes my way while I'm travelling?

I'm promising to myself I won't buy any alcohol on the way home and I'll check the forum when I get in. I'd be so grateful if someone could reply with some encouragement for me.

Zenna
x
Old 02-20-2018, 10:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zenna View Post
Hi,

I'm feeling really vulnerable to the urge to drink tonight. It's evening here. I've been working at a location quite far from my home and I have a long journey to get back.

I'm getting stupid thoughts about just drinking tonight and all those kinds of lies. What's worrying is that I'm finding it hard to remember the reasons I want to stay sober. I'm going into a day dream state and finding it hard to stay focussed. (This is partly exhaustion I think - a lot of stress and anxiety and not much sleep.)

I'm on Day 21. I want tomorrow to be Day 22. Please could I ask for some support and encouragement? I feel like I really need it tonight.

I won't be able to check the forum for an hour or two because I have to get a train and won't have access. But I wanted to post before I set off so I have some accountability and maybe someone could send some good sobriety vibes my way while I'm travelling?

I'm promising to myself I won't buy any alcohol on the way home and I'll check the forum when I get in. I'd be so grateful if someone could reply with some encouragement for me.

Zenna
x
Sending you those exact vibes.

Ride out the urges and let yourself play the movie forward - you know that tomorrow morning, waking up clear and sober, is the best gift you can give yourself tonight.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Zenna View Post
What's worrying is that I'm finding it hard to remember the reasons I want to stay sober.
You might re-read your first post:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ve-do-now.html (Have to do this now)
Old 02-20-2018, 11:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If you drink, you WILL feel unhappy and anxious tomorrow. Go for a walk, call a friend, go to bed if you have to. Drinking will solve absolutely nothing.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Zenna hang in there!
Absolutely good vibes and support coming your way from me!
Imagine this. You're in some sort of an action movie where you're on a dangerous journey and utter safety is at your destination. Your home. Your safe place. A lovely meal, a cup of tea and your lovely bed there waiting for you.
And in a way that's what you're doing. You're tired, hungry, stressed. All are triggers. Can you eat on the train?
I look forward to hearing from you very soon. Stay safe!
Old 02-20-2018, 11:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Eat some food
Download a game and play it until the urge passes
Drink some hot tea
Rinse and repeat

Reread your postings and all the other posters who are struggling

Thoughts have no control over you unless you allow them to. (I am taking my own advice as I type this down

You will be okay.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am only on Day2. Just had the urge to buy beer. I walked right by the liqour store without going in. That is a first for me! Although, i have been on a months long bender. I cam't afford to drink anymore.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Positive thoughts are with you Zenna!!! You will be so glad tomorrow on day 22, and even more proud next week when you hit 30 days. You’ve come too far to go back, keep moving forward
Old 02-20-2018, 12:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

As others have mentioned, read earlier posts. Try it as an observer. You can get through this. I am also on day 21. It's unseasonably warm where I am today. Sun is shining and 65' F. I remember what a waste these days would have been nursing the fog of a hangover or just sitting down pouring another. I've missed too many and sure you can relate. Stay with us Zenna. We are kindred spirits on a journey out of darkness and into the sunlight. It's beautiful on this side of it. I promise you.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've never regretted "not drinking".

Zenna ... you can do this!
Old 02-20-2018, 12:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sending you sober thoughts Zenna. Keep going.....you are doing great.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I want to stay sober because I am sick of being sick, don't want to wake in the morning not remembering anything with the guilt and shame that goes with this poison, that voice in your head telling you lies is horrible, but you can do this and make tomorrow day 22 keep strong good luck
Old 02-20-2018, 12:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Rar

Hang on Zenna. 21 days is awesome. Play the tape forward. Do you want to be on Day 22 or Day 1? You can do this. Stay strong.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sending lots of love and strength your way, Zenna, in addition to all of the others!
Old 02-20-2018, 01:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Keep Going

Oh, you can always have a prayer for grace in your life from me. I love a nice pray in sobriety for my sober travellers!!! Keep going
Old 02-20-2018, 01:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you!!!

I'm home, I'm sober. I really appreciate the vibes and coming back to your messages.

I have my reasons to be sober on my phone, with an alert so I read them at least once a day. Today I couldn't think what they were. I read them on the phone and it was like I'd never seen them before. I thought about them and they seemed unreal and unimportant.

I'm really shocked what a hold this has over me. Those thoughts are so persuasive, so seductive. It was like I was bewitched or something.

Thank you all so much for your kind thoughts. It means a lot.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:39 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
The Long and Winding Road....

hey zenna I got your back.

Awesome work

V
Old 02-20-2018, 01:42 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WeaverBird View Post
Oh, you can always have a prayer for grace in your life from me. I love a nice pray in sobriety for my sober travellers!!! Keep going
Yes please.

And yes, all manner of thing shall be well.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:45 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

You have my support. Like someone else said, eat something. Fill up your stomach and re-read your original post to refresh your memory on why you want to quit.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:46 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Loving Sobriety

Well done for not drinking! What an accomplishment! You should be proud! I like to think that every time I've resisted that I've rewired my brain a little more!