Notices

Has anyone tried Campral?

Old 02-18-2018, 03:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Has anyone tried Campral?

My doctor gave me some to help keep me away from the booze. But I’m generally feeling really quite crappy as it is and I’m quite apprehensive about taking some random pill that might make me feel worse.

Just wondered if anyone has tried it and what your experiences were of it? Did it help? Were there sideffects?

Thx.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's a good med for plenty of people, myself included. I began taking it at the beginning- I have an excellent psych and decided that along with never drinking again, complete honesty with her and ceding to her decisions about what to take were the best way to go.

I took it for about 19 mo - I will have 2 yrs sober on Wed and I think it was Nov or Dec of 2017 when we took me off it. I can honestly say that I never had a physical craving- I considered Campral just one of my drugs, and if it was why I didn't have any cravings, A-OK by me. I do have what many would consider a "comprehensive" (read- a lot of) med regimen. I'll add that since going off of this drug, I've not had any cravings either. I didn't have any side effects I'd attribute specifically to it; I took a long time to heal, went through significant PAWS and am still healing in some ways.

If you have a good dr you trust, why not give it a try? I'd venture that it isn't a "random" drug in addiction circles, it can only help, and if it doesn't, after you have perhaps given it a legit go - stop taking it under dr's agreement.

Best to you.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Campral

It did nothing for me other than upset my stomach. But it works for some people, also naltrexone has a high success rathe but no meds could cure my addiction. I had best success with rehab but eventually had a series of bad relapses. Still struggling. We are all different, try it but for best results combine it with everything else you can do to stay sober. Lots of great advice on this forum!
Old 02-19-2018, 10:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. Perhaps I’ll give it a whirl.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I tried it and it did absolutely nothing but have a placebo effect which might have been good if I combined it with AA and as for the drug antabuse it should be banned of the market a drug that can kill you if you drink is it not bad enough risking this with drink alone anyway Good luck with sobriety.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've been taking Campral for the past week. Zero cravings. Zero urge to drink. I was reluctant to start it, was concerned about side effects and worried I was taking an easy option. Only side effects have been tiredness the first few days, but that could have just been very early sobriety tiredness. I don't feel any different, not spaced out or anything like that, just no desire to drink. It works best in conjunction with counselling or some other support. From my experience so far, I highly recommend it.