Notices

Want to get an AA meeting to come to a screeching halt?

Old 02-19-2018, 02:28 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Milo09116 View Post

. A Christian life is far more satisfying than just a sober life.
I'm not an AAer nor a Christian. I just wanted to ask, does a Christian life top other things as well as as an unChristianlike sober life? Like a muslim life? Or a Hindu life? Or a Buddhist life? Or a Sikh life? Or a Jewish life?
Just curious
Old 02-19-2018, 02:57 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I think this thread says to me why i dont go to meetings.

Everyone to their own.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:03 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

Mention that it's your faith in Christ that rescued you from the monster of addiction. People in the rooms love to claim that they're "spiritual" and talk about the mushy "god of my understanding" and all nod in agreement. Mention Christ and you get eye rolls, audible sighs or those saying "this is not a religious program". I have to remain true to my God and talk about Jesus but I must ask, why is AA hostile to Jesus?
I'm not an AAer, but my guess is if your main objective behind going to an AA meeting is to proselytize to its members, then you'll be met with resistance.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:27 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Hey Milo, that's a first, someone complaining that AA isn't religious enough. Me, I used the God thing as a excuse/alibi to stay out of AA and continue drinking.

AA came from a religious group called the Oxford Group. It adopted a lot of its program from Christian principle, though strangely, these priciples are also found in other religions.

You would have had many supporters of your views back in those days. There were many occasions where groups had to decide who to let into AA. There were a whole range of people that some members thought should be excluded. Wrong race, sex, religion, other addictions, occupation, reputation etc.

Then one of them asked a group "What would the Father do?" From that came the 3rd tradition, best understood in its long form. It makes clear that as long as you are alcoholic, what ever other issues you may have are irrelevent. They wanted to exclude no alcoholic that wanted to get well.

I never got formal religion by the way. I am a naughty gnostic. The gonostics believe every individual can have their own personal relationship directly with God. They cut out the middle man, the bishops as unnecessary. This of course upset the bishops. That is how I developed my relationship with God. Knowledge gained through experience.

There is a book called Breathing Underwater, by Richard Ruhr about the 12 steps and sprituality. You may find it enlighteningas it is written by a priest with many years sober in AA.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:33 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by oldmate View Post
I think this thread says to me why i dont go to meetings.

Everyone to their own.
This is what kept me away too.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:36 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by DontRemember View Post
This is what kept me away too.
Which was it ? Too religious or not religious enough? With me I thought it was too religious.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:52 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
G-Woman

I feel that the old AA adage "Live and Let Live" is appropriate advice for this conversation.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:17 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

milo, if God is doing such a fine job keeping you sober, then what is your purpose in attending AA meetings? and why do you feel that YOU know better than anyone else? seems you skipped right over that Humility thing.........
Old 02-19-2018, 07:21 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I went to a couple of meetings early on and as a matter of fact, someone shared similar to Milo regarding their faith in Christ keeping them sober. As there is no cross talk the rest of the meeting was shares refuting and supporting the point. It was the most bizarre, passive aggressive display of debate I have ever seen.
It didn't put me off AA, I think the people at that meeting, discussing that subject were a little over zealous on both sides.

Personally, I am just happy when people get help for their addictions. If swinging a dead chicken over your head, dressed in your underwear, while reciting Shakespeare's sonnets keeps you sober. Good for you. Isn't my circus and you are not my half naked monkey.

If that meeting and the people there are not open to your beliefs, find another. Your recovery, your life and your faith, protect them all.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:29 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Here's the issue. Theres an abject laziness in aa when it comes to who God is. Aaers talk about "God" and yet many never read the Bible and I've often heard that God is unknowable.

I had a guy once laugh at the statement "God will keep me sober". Same guy who seemed pretty miserable.

I urge aaers to seek who God is. Hes not the ocean, a "group of drunks", or some unknowable mystery. A Christian life is far more satisfying than just a sober life.

God bless you all.
And God Bless You to have an understanding that God is different for everyone. There are many religions in this world. Many different belief systems.

God bless you to have tolerance and compassion. To embrace the diversity that exists in our huge world.

God bless you to continue on in your sobriety, believing in a god that is true for you, and allow others to believe in a god that is true for them.

God bless you to continue speaking your truth, as it is what will keep you sober, but to reserve judgement from things that you may not understand.

God bless you, Milo.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:34 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MyLittleHorsie View Post

Personally, I am just happy when people get help for their addictions. If swinging a dead chicken over your head, dressed in your underwear, while reciting Shakespeare's sonnets keeps you sober. Good for you. Isn't my circus and you are not my half naked monkey.
I totally agree!
Old 02-19-2018, 10:02 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
Which was it ? Too religious or not religious enough? With me I thought it was too religious.
I thought it was going to be too religious, then I actually went and I didn't burst into flames or anything,so all was well. I've enjoyed AA since day 1.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:40 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Mention that it's your faith in Christ that rescued you from the monster of addiction. People in the rooms love to claim that they're "spiritual" and talk about the mushy "god of my understanding" and all nod in agreement. Mention Christ and you get eye rolls, audible sighs or those saying "this is not a religious program". I have to remain true to my God and talk about Jesus but I must ask, why is AA hostile to Jesus?
Been in AA and NA
for 27 years. Heard Jesus and such talked about thousands of times.
Never seen that happen once.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:46 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mandypandy View Post
I'm not an AAer nor a Christian. I just wanted to ask, does a Christian life top other things as well as as an unChristianlike sober life? Like a muslim life? Or a Hindu life? Or a Buddhist life? Or a Sikh life? Or a Jewish life?
Just curious
How would he know that unless he has been a muslim, buddhist, hindu sikh or jewish?
Old 02-19-2018, 10:49 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I have to remain true to my God and talk about Jesus but I must ask, why is AA hostile to Jesus?
it may not be the message but the delivery of the message.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:57 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BadCompany View Post
How would he know that unless he has been a muslim, buddhist, hindu sikh or jewish?
I dunno, they seem to think they know lot about how having an un Christ sober life is not as satisfying as having a Christian one for the people having them. I just thought they were psychic or something.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:19 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

12 Step is too religious for me. I also find the meetings too much like Catholic Mass with the repeated chapter readings and repetitive format. The idea that all answers can be found in the Big Book which is the ultimate arbiter is too much like religious dogma. Thats why I stopped going.

However it works for many people and I would never judge what works for others in sobriety.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:45 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

IMO, the biggest failing in the big Book is the use of "God" with a capital G. Had it been a lowercase g, there may not have been so much contention about the word.

As a non-religious person, I just ignore the spelling and do not take it literally.... it is about your own interpretation and how it fits you.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:52 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Here's the issue. Theres an abject laziness in aa when it comes to who God is. Aaers talk about "God" and yet many never read the Bible and I've often heard that God is unknowable.

I had a guy once laugh at the statement "God will keep me sober". Same guy who seemed pretty miserable.

I urge aaers to seek who God is. Hes not the ocean, a "group of drunks", or some unknowable mystery. A Christian life is far more satisfying than just a sober life.

God bless you all.
I think it's unlikely that anyone going to AA and/or working on sobriety has reached their own concept of God or a higher power through "abject laziness".

I work very hard at my own spiritual study and practice, which is different from yours. I expect this is the case for many others.

Please would you reconsider how you view different beliefs and the people who hold them?
Old 02-19-2018, 01:15 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I dont go to AA.. i choose SR and the teachings found in here. You could say my higher power is Dee74, as he is a gift from the above to the many 1000s of people he has unselfishly helped.