SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Day 2 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/423632-day-2-a.html)

aboveangel1967 02-17-2018 02:54 PM

Day 2

Not sure where to start. Tonight is the second night sober (so far) in a long time. I had intended to stop drinking 3 days ago but was with a friend who, of course, ordered my favorite beer so...

I am embarrassed and ashamed that I have a drinking problem. I also hide it well. Some people might suspect but few know.

Drinking has cost me a lot - mostly health and of course financially (but I can afford it)

So I am just here to learn how to be strong.

Hevyn 02-17-2018 02:59 PM

Congratulations on your Day 2, aboveangel. It's great that you found us.

I drank most of my adult life. I deeply regret the wasted time & dangerous situations I put myself in. I don't think feeling ashamed is the way to go, and certainly don't feel embarrassed. No one deliberately sets out to ruin their life. I started drinking to feel more sociable & less shy. It certainly backfired on me. It feels wonderful to be free of it. I'm glad you've decided to make this big change in your life. We're here to encourage you. :)

resolute50 02-17-2018 03:01 PM

Welcome aboveangel1967
So glad you found your way here.:grouphug:
Two days is awesome.Have you had any withdrawals?
I remember when I finally said no more. Went quite a few nights with insomnia.

Dee74 02-17-2018 03:05 PM

Hi and welcome aboveangel - you'll find lot of support & good ideas here.

Thats what helped me out of the cycle...using the support and ideas here, and a willingness to change, and be changed :)

D

aboveangel1967 02-17-2018 03:07 PM

Sleep

Bob - I have had no withdrawal (or did not think I did) but I have not slept much at all for the last 2 nights. About 3-4 hours but not well. I did not know sleep was a withdrawal symptom.

I guess another symptom is really it is really all I think about...

Vivie 02-17-2018 03:08 PM

Welcome aboveangel :-)

There’s loads to read and an enormous amount of love and support on here.

Have a look at what resonates, join in and post whenever you feel like it.

One day at a time - keep going!

goodbyeevan 02-17-2018 03:08 PM

I'm on day 6 so I can't offer much strength but i can tell you you aren't alone. There's so much to learn about alcoholism, the brain and recovery techniques and the more I learn the more empowered I feel. Although it's way to early to be feeling confident in any sense of the word. But I'm enjoying a life without withdrawals now and that's more than enough for me to want to keep going.

Good luck <3

aboveangel1967 02-17-2018 03:22 PM

3 times as good as me

Congratulations on 6 days. Keep strong

Komplex 02-17-2018 07:23 PM

Welcome Angel and great job on 2 days. I look forward to getting to know you!

Stronger2017 02-17-2018 07:30 PM

Welcome to SR aboveangel. This site has really helped me stay sober the last few months.

SoberLeigh 02-17-2018 08:46 PM

Welcome to SR, above angel; really glad you joined us.

Onward, together, into an exponentially better way to live.

Rar 02-18-2018 10:39 AM

Welcome Angel.....You will find strength and wisdom here on SR. You aren't alone.

Hevyn 02-18-2018 02:11 PM

I hope it's going well today, angel. :)