Notices

Class of February 2018 Support Thread Pt 2

Old 02-16-2018, 12:51 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wayforward View Post
That's 20 down. Tomorrow it's blackjack.
And you win!
Old 02-16-2018, 12:56 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

All good stuff here. I'm on day 10. Urges and thoughts have come and go all day, but for now I know I'm not having a drink tonight so I'm not worried about it.

Going to meet my wife after work, maybe go to a talk, get some dinner and to bed sober. Up early tomorrow, maybe an early meeting.

Feel that late afternoon ache - used to be soothed by the booze. Will let it ride out today.

Happy weekend everyone.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:00 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Good evening other Feb2018-ites. Sorry I haven't been around much to support others. Been a hectic week.

It's 9pm in the UK and I'm getting ready for my last shift of the week. I finished at 7am this morning and then went to do a shift at a voluntary job I do followed by an appointment at Addaction. I finally got home around midday and fell asleep almost immediately.

I have a huge confession to make - and you are the only people that know besides my Addaction counsellor, my parents and the others involved. In November 2017 I caused a car accident caused by DD. Nobody was physically hurt (I have a few air bag burn scars but feel I deserve more) but I clearly have distressed a number of people by my actions. The people in the other car, witnesses etc plus used up medical and police resources which I shouldn't have. It happened around 10 pm at night on a quiet road, so could have been a lot worse. My blood results are back so they will now schedule the court case but I'm looking at 17-22 months ban (not that I ever intend to drive again), a fine of around 1.5 times a weeks salary and possible community service though the fact I have taken up a voluntary job since the accident may count as that.

Since the accident I have changed my job (I was off work with depression at the time of the accident as my job was emotionally stressful) to one that is challenging but in a different way and am thriving on it. I've started this voluntary job. Although I didn't give up drinking totally after the accident (was reduced but still had 'binges'), I have now.

The guilt still remains and always will do. I have to walk past the scene of the accident every time I go out (1 minute from my house). I feel terrible for what I have put others through and while my insurance has paid the other driver out, it can not remove her memories and turmoil.

Sorry, needed to own up somewhere I didn't 'have' to - if that makes sense.

Stick with it folks, I need you and hope as I get more time over the weekend I can be around for others

xx
Old 02-16-2018, 01:05 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dustitoffman View Post
Anyone have experience/ advice with lactose intolerance?
If you're looking for milk substitutes you could try Koko. It's a low-fat coconut milk that they sell in 1 litre cartons with the other dairy free "milks". They sometimes sell it fresh in the refrigerated bit, or UHT on the shelves. The UHT one is absolutely fine. I use it for cereal, porridge and hot drinks.

You might also be able to eat goat or sheep milk/cheese but perhaps you need to cut out everything first and then find out. I don't eat them much myself except for halloumi cheese when it's 100% made from sheep's milk. This is really nice grilled.

I don't know if you're a biscuit eater. Bourbon biscuits are dairy free (or they should be - I see a lot of ingredient-checking in your future).

I have a slight lactose intolerance but not as bad as yours sounds it might be. Good plan to try skipping dairy for a bit then testing it out.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:10 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Taketwo

Thank you for your response,
I will have to get some of the lactade capsules.

Found that ciabatta or sourdough bread is ok, got some ham and suitable spread so I'm not starving at this point. Just got to get my head around what are the cans and what are the can nots.

All the best. Dusty😎
Old 02-16-2018, 01:21 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Thanks Zenna

I will look out for Bourbon biscuits.
Someone else said Bournville chocolate I will definitely be getting some of that.

Things are not as bleak as they first looked.

😎
Old 02-16-2018, 01:22 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

StartAnew, thank you for sharing what you did.

I'm glad the outcome wasn't more serious, not to minimise the impact it has had on you and others.

I'm glad also that you're using it to turn your life around.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:32 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Shiv, welcome! To pick up on something in ProfD's post, how did you stay sober for three years before - that was a great achievement. What helped you to get started then?

Zombie, it sounds like you're rocking your household tasks! I'm also managing to keep up with chores a bit better, and also doing laundry tonight. Couldn't believe I managed this level of organisation on a Friday. Hope the sunshine continues for your hike tomorrow.

taketwo, same for me. I'm not worrying what kind of junk I eat right now, but I'm finding myself starting to want healthy food and enjoying preparing and eating it. I wish I could take naps during the day. Although my tiredness is starting to reduce a bit thank heavens.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:53 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

About 10pm on Friday. Not going to drink but wow, the temptation today. Really not fun.

I hope we have good weather tomorrow so I can do some gardening, but if I'm inside I plan to art journal and make soup.

Oh, and Happy Chinese New Year! I prefer the timing of the Chinese one because for those of us north of the equator it means Spring is coming.
Old 02-16-2018, 02:40 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Administrator

Stay with us Zenna
Welcome Shiv

D
Old 02-16-2018, 05:07 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Startanew, that's a lot to go through. I'm sorry things played out like that. I think it is important for people to share these DUI incidents with the others in the forum as a warning. In the US penalties have become harsh too. Not to mention the danger of it all.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:11 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

I had a really bad talk with my father that pushed me over the line and ended in disaster for my 'time.'

I feel absolutely hopeless. No way to make a living. Depending on promises made and then pulled away, every single damn time. 47. No job. Never had a job. Stuck in the Social Services system. Haven't been with a woman in years. Sick for 25 years and possibly getting well now, but all promises have been reneged.

At least that's how I feel.

Viper
Old 02-16-2018, 05:20 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Vipe
I'm sorry you feel like you're hopeless.

My family used to get me that way too but eventually I relapsed my Dad had no more secret knowledge or aptitude than I did. He was just another human being like me.

Have you thought about volunteering at all? I needed a reason to get up in the morning and something to help em see I could make a difference. Helped my self esteem too. Just an idea but worth considering,.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:43 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

How are you doing Shiv?
We are all here for you, and we understand the viscous circle! I had to finally go through the hell of withdrawal, after that 1st 24 hours I could at least think straight, eat a little, and keep going.

Do you feel you can get over that 1st hurdle? I think you can!!

Let us know how you are.....blessings
Old 02-16-2018, 09:17 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Hello everyone,

I've been reading over your posts for the past few weeks and am only just now joining. I was sober all of January 2018 and into Feb but am only just now feeling the need to join a class. I see so much here I relate to and would love to be part of the community. Nice to meet you all!:coast er
Old 02-16-2018, 09:36 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I'm glad you shared StartAnew. Walking by there daily sounds painful but like a good reminder of why you're starting anew now.

Felt good today but, jeez, I had a really strong, really long urge to have my "regular Friday night." I ended up opting not to go out to pick up dinner as that would make picking up beer a fight to avoid. I was glad it's just me at home these days; if my spouse would have been around and picked up beer, that woulda been tough. Upside - it was very beer specific, no temptation to root in the liquor cabinet. And it was strong and lasted with some fluctuation for probably 3.5 hours then *poof* gone. I need to remember that
Old 02-16-2018, 10:44 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Hi ElyaRoy, I like you already! What are your top tips for staying sober? Congrats on your journey so far--very impressive! Welcome
Old 02-16-2018, 10:51 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing your story, Startanew. I'm so, so glad you didn't hurt yourself or anyone else. You have such a great opportunity instead to share your close call and make a hard but life-saving change in your life. We are here for you!!! And you have no idea how important and powerful your experience is.

I'm just checking in before I go to bed. I had a crazy productive day which is becoming the new normal for my Fridays....and I like it! I made a pot of coffee after dinner and put some sugary coffemate thing in it which I would normally never do. It was delicious! I felt like I had a treat and a fun night, and I did all kinds of research and crossed annoying things off my to-do list. I wasn't going to post before going to bed because I feel like I post too much annoying stuff on this thread but then I got paranoid that if I don't post my sobriety would disappear overnight or something
Old 02-17-2018, 12:42 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ProfessorD View Post
I wasn't going to post before going to bed because I feel like I post too much annoying stuff on this thread
Never! Please keep posting. I love reading your posts and your encouragement for everyone.

Post as much as you like. You deserve encouragement for yourself too.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:46 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by taketwo View Post
it was strong and lasted with some fluctuation for probably 3.5 hours then *poof* gone. I need to remember that
taketwo, you always seem to post something that I'm thinking! I'm finding that however bad the urges are there's always a point later when I no longer have them.

The way I'm seeing it, I have time wanting to drink and time wanting not to drink. I've decided to give in to the urges to not drink.