Notices

Weekender 15-19 February 2018

Old 02-17-2018, 05:25 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

This is a screen shot from the SWFEC live cam at dusk yesterday when Papa eagle came home with this Anhinga. He made three different attempts to bring this large bird into the nest but couldn't manage it and dropped it below the nest on the ground. This morning he sits on a branch below the nest, presumably guarding it.

I'm just fascinated by all this. I kept watching, but if he had gotten it to the nest it would have been pretty crowded!

My local eagles have been hanging out in a different tree just across the river from my window. Tis the season for bunnies, and there are lots of them in a warren just across the river, I see them every day at dawn and dusk. Might be more interesting than I'd like.

Eagle Cam
Old 02-17-2018, 05:38 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

I am in for the weekend. My husband comes home today from his father's funeral. I wasn't able to stay, work commitments, get the kids back to their routines, my animals and of course, selling our property. Tomorrow is house inspection and hopefully, we will be firmed up by Tuesday. Hopefully I find something else before we end up homeless lol. My lawyer is like, I cannot believe you didn't put a you finding another home clause in the acceptance. I am like, I am not worried.

Long weekend here... time to relax, maybe double down on my anxiety meds for the rest of the sale

Work today, painting therapy workshop at the local old folks home.
Old 02-17-2018, 05:56 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good luck with the house hunting MLH!

It is glorious in London, one of those days when it feels good to be alive.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:03 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Slept in (yay), fed the dog, got my coffee. logged into SR. It's 9 am
Old 02-17-2018, 08:15 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Just caught up on the thread. Finishing morning coffee, too, after sleeping in a bit.

I’ve been at a bit at a loss of words, but not at a loss of appreciation. How precious and inviolable are each of our histories. Only appreciation and respect to those who share slices here of past and present and hope and strength.

From what London is like today to a childhood remembered. From workaday honesty to eagles butchering other beasts for their young. Honestly...aren’t we rich?

It all keeps me coming back to SR for perspective, a break from myself, and inspiration for today, tomorrow, and beyond.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:23 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

So, today my partner is out running errands for our house and for our furred and feathered family. I am doing house chores and happy to be here alone and quietly busy.

Later I go to visit my Mom, to spend the afternoon with her. Every day Mom wakes to a day in which she mostly just misses everyone who is already gone from this earth.

This evening my partner and I go out to dinner with her family...who are my family, too...our generation and the next. Yay!

All of the above makes me the luckiest person in the picture I have drawn. Foundation of all my current and future luck: I will not be drinking today.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:27 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

MyLittleHorsie...can you share even a little bit more about this: “Work today, painting therapy workshop at the local old folks home.” Or if you have a link you could PM me. ... OR...if you never say another word about it, that is fine.

Do you run this workshop? What makes it “therapy” and how do you feel it works for the residents?
Old 02-17-2018, 08:38 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

So much for being “at a loss of words”.

Happy Saturday everyone! Later!
Old 02-17-2018, 09:55 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Always love your posts, Bix.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:24 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Venuscat, DS, goodbyeevan, purps, and every other weekender - thank you for sharing with me.

Sounds crazy but my favorite part of sober Saturdays are the desire and ability to tidy up around the house.

Stay strong friends!!
Old 02-17-2018, 01:08 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I love reading your posts BixBees!
Old 02-17-2018, 04:11 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BixBees505 View Post
So, today my partner is out running errands for our house and for our furred and feathered family. I am doing house chores and happy to be here alone and quietly busy.

Later I go to visit my Mom, to spend the afternoon with her. Every day Mom wakes to a day in which she mostly just misses everyone who is already gone from this earth.

This evening my partner and I go out to dinner with her family...who are my family, too...our generation and the next. Yay!

All of the above makes me the luckiest person in the picture I have drawn. Foundation of all my current and future luck: I will not be drinking today.
So much love....and many hugs. ♥♥

My mum had Alzheimers.....I was her carer for years....it was an incredible blessing.

Old 02-17-2018, 04:58 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BixBees505 View Post
MyLittleHorsie...can you share even a little bit more about this: “Work today, painting therapy workshop at the local old folks home.” Or if you have a link you could PM me. ... OR...if you never say another word about it, that is fine.

Do you run this workshop? What makes it “therapy” and how do you feel it works for the residents?
One of my companies runs it. We use local artists who donate their time. We use grants and fundraising to support the program. It was designed by myself and a business partner, we have 3 therapists, several artists and recreational directors from 6 different nursing homes who are on the advisory committee. Together we design programs for seniors, adult day centers and autism groups. This program brings the fun of a paint nite experience to a senior home. The paintings are those which provide cognitive, motor skills and of course social stimulation, but are simple enough for everyone to do. The seniors always put their own spin on things. Lack of funding, lack of available staff means these sorts of things fall through the cracks. My charity develops programs for organizations, I then own a company that plans the fundraising events for the programs and someday I might make money doing it lol. We have several different therapeutic programs and different therapists assisting with their development. So we have an art program, an animal therapy program and we are developing a meals for singles program, we participate in global workshops with the art program. I like doing it, it gets busy and crazy, especially leading up to big events. I also own an accounting firm, I would love to be able to retire from it, I have at least one of my full time accountants I might make managing partner and succession myself out, just to concentrate on my other company and charity.
It is really amazing how much the residents love the programs and they just keep growing in attendance.
Old 02-17-2018, 05:11 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Administrator

wow that sounds great MLH - thank you for what you do

D
Old 02-17-2018, 05:26 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
wow that sounds great MLH - thank you for what you do

D
Aw now I feel bashful lol

We are in a position that we have never been in before, people are living longer and there just is not the infrastructure to support them. Social isolation of seniors is a huge problem, it taxes healthcare, becomes a problem for families and care givers. Unfortunately governments have neither the resources or desire to give the problem more than lip service. It is up to us as community members to address and create solutions to this problem.
Old 02-17-2018, 05:35 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Administrator

amen

D
Old 02-17-2018, 06:59 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MyLittleHorsie View Post
Aw now I feel bashful lol

We are in a position that we have never been in before, people are living longer and there just is not the infrastructure to support them. Social isolation of seniors is a huge problem, it taxes healthcare, becomes a problem for families and care givers. Unfortunately governments have neither the resources or desire to give the problem more than lip service. It is up to us as community members to address and create solutions to this problem.
And if I may but in and add.....because what you do IS truly amazing love....more carers are needed here. Elder care workers....the entire industry needs to radically grow to take help care of the aging population.

Tired.....glad it's the weekend. I need some sleep. s
Old 02-17-2018, 07:22 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

MLH, what an amazing program! I've worked in 3 different nursing homes, mostly in memory care. I wish there was more of that!!!! I would love to do animal therapy with seniors, can you even imagine...
Old 02-17-2018, 11:17 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning everyone, wow! Horsie that is amazing what you do. We have all the same issues in the UK where social care is under resourced.

It is another fine morning in London, i'm not sure how long it is set to last. This is the Marina a mile or so east of me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20180218_071500.jpg (44.0 KB, 25 views)
Old 02-18-2018, 03:20 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

morning all, morning Sao. is that Limehouse?