Notices

any experiences with NA? Am considering a meeting

Old 02-14-2018, 06:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

any experiences with NA? Am considering a meeting

I never had an issue with narcotics but nevertheless think NA meetings would be a good tool for recovery (alcohol was my poison). I did go to one when I was an inpatient facility for a month, and recall it being interesting. The people were genuine, welcoming, inclusive, they spoke about their struggles, had their own 12-steps but wore them like a loose garment.

There are regular meeting where I live. Am curious to know what others' experience with this fellowship. I go to AA and SMART but want more tool in my box.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have been to quite a few NA meetings. I like them and yes they can be more inclusive of all addicts than AA. I have been to AA meetings were addicts are asked not to share....kinda weird really since we are all addicts but hey, group consciousness and what not. The AA meetings I regularly attend are pretty cool and inclusive.

I have not noticed that they take the steps any less seriously however. Now while the language of the NA Literature is more 'current' it is really exactly the same program. At least that's been my experience.

Check it out for sure. Whatever works for you is all that matters.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

When in rehab we had H&A NA meetings. They were pretty raw. But very real.

Of all the fellowships, I like CA. It's an all-inclusive fellowship that welcomes all addict/alcoholics, and people who go to these meetings here tend to be addicted to a variety of substances...as I was. Nothing like that perfect storm of blow, booze and butts. Add water, E, and mix...

Plus the guys are better looking and there are a TON of really amazing tattoos!

I found them funnier than AA, rawer, younger than AA (although there are definitely some longtimers) and found fewer Big Book thumpers. I find it very strange and out of date that AA doesn't want to include other addictions at a lot of their meetings. But not always. Most gay AA groups in cities also have a ton of talk about meth, as there is a continuing meth epidemic in the gay community, so most of the gay alkies are cross-addicted.

In the end it doesn't really matter. Whatever clicks for you is where you should be. I tried SMART but the group I found was full of very mentally ill people that were just a bit much for me. May try to find another group.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

I never had a problem with drugs, but NA is my preferred fellowship. as others have said, I find it a bit younger, less dogmatic & more inclusive of all addictive behaviours, & the literature is a bit less antiquated. plenty of people speak/share on alcohol in the meetings.

CA is very similar around here, all the same people go to the meetings as go to NA, but they use the AA Big Book. I don't work a 12-Step program, but I have friends who do, & I go along to the meetings once in a while mostly for the fellowship.