Notices

Updating at a month in...

Old 02-13-2018, 06:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Updating at a month in...

One month sober. Feel like I've gotten a bit of a 'free-ride' for the last week as I've been unwell so the cravings have been really minimal... I've not felt like drinking at all. Thing is, if I had of been sick like this and not sober, I think I would've still been pouring booze down my throat in the evenings and calling it 'medicinal' or whatever excuse! Madness!

Anyway, I passed on my virus to my two year old daughter so she's been unwell too. Thing was, looking back over the weekend, even though I was unwell, I felt like she was better cared for while she was sick because I wasn't drinking. Don't get me wrong, my kids are never neglected etc, but I've always felt like I could be doing a better job with them without alcohol in the picture. And reflecting on the last 4 days I've seen this in action now. Her rest was a priority, I encouraged her to eat good foods, drink plenty of water and just sat and cuddled her when she needed it. It's a bitter sweet feeling, when you have that moment of clarity that THIS is what it needs to be like. Not drunk mum, sending the kids off to play alone while I drown myself in a bottle of wine and more...I can NEVER go back to that. I want to focus on the present and future, but need to remember how bad it can get. How guilty and anxious alcohol can make me feel.

I need to stay vigilant now I'm feeling better as the cravings will probably ramp back up. Hope you're all doing well
Old 02-13-2018, 06:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's ironic that we thought it was helping us to be calm & cope better. Now we know - it just made things more stressful & added to our anxiety. Never again.
Congrats on your one month - you're doing great.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your month time2shineagain
I'm glad you were able to be there for your daughter - hope you both get well soon

D
Old 02-13-2018, 06:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee and Hevyn. We're both all better now.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the inspirational post! I hope you guys back to being well soon!