Notices

Just given up drinking

Old 02-13-2018, 02:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just given up drinking

I've just made the decision to give up drinking. I've had drinking problems for many years. Even though I usually only drink when I go out to help relieve social anxiety issues, once I start I can't stop until I pass out, and I usually have very little, if many memory of what happens inbetween. On Friday I went out with my boyfriend, who I lost. I remember absolutely nothing after that but I remember coming to in the police station, with my phone and glasses missing. The next day I saw a load of embarrassing posts on Facebook I couldn't remember posting for everyone to see. I'm feeling a lot of pain and shame over the thing, also losing my phone and glasses has been a nightmare. I now know I have to stop and controlling my drinking is not an option. I'm a bit scared by this as almost everyone I know drinks, and everything I do socially revolves around drinking. But I know I do need to stop, and this also includes resolving a lot of deep anxiety issues.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Vangon,

Welcome you came to the right place great people here, it sounds like alcohol is getting you into real trouble. I was the same used to get arrested, fights, A& E visits, court cases and I at the moment I made a fool of myself by drinking and taking benzos but people forget and things will get better and my advice would get help for the anxiety issue maybe cognitive behavioural therapy might help but first cut out the alcohol before it is too late and Good Luck.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You've made a smart decision to stop drinking. I hope our support can help you achieve lasting sobriety. You won't regret it.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Van Gon

I was terrified when I started too - but this place really helped. Its very safe and welcoming.

I'm sure you'll feel at home here

D
Old 02-13-2018, 04:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 02-13-2018, 05:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome! What a brave and courageous decision you have made. Now the real work begins to enjoy a happy, memorable life!
I look forward to your progress!

Do you have a plan in place such as AA, therapy or something different?

You're amongst great and very knowledgeable folks, welcome again to the family!
Old 02-13-2018, 06:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

We're so glad to have you with us, Van Gon. Being here took away my apprehension - the encouragement was wonderful. I've never felt alone with my struggle. You can do it!
Old 02-13-2018, 06:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard Vangon! Read and post! You can learn from other people and contribute as well!