Notices

removing character defects v. embracing idiosyncrasies ...

Old 02-14-2018, 05:54 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
the entirety of Step 7 (which can only follow a thorough process of Steps 1-6), is that we "Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings". if we look at the Step 7 prayer we find:

My Creator, I am now willing that You should have all of me, good and bad.
I pray that You now remove from me every single defect of character which stands in the way of my usefulness to You and my fellows. Grant me strength, as I go out from here, to do Your bidding.
Amen

note it does not say magically make me better, take all my troubles away, only that those things which stand as a barrier to doing work for others be removed. the key part is HUMILITY. to humbly acknowledge that our own self will can still get in the way, that our best thinking got us into this mess, and that we can still be very short sighted in what makes us of best use to others.
Great. Thank you.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:05 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Frickaflip233, thank you for taking the time to share your (insightful) thoughts. I am going to purchase that book you mentioned tomorrow.

Gottalife, I wasn't 12-stepped, been just going to 4-5 meetings per week; they're everywhere in my city. Some of the ones I go to I like, others not so much. There is one I like a lot (about 8-10 guys, on a Sunday evening). I like AA but cringe when I hear platitudes. Definitely a valuable tool in sobriety, all things considered.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:56 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I like the word "maladaptions." I'm doing deep psychotherapy and am finding these narrative threads that go WAY WAY back, and result in maladaptions.

I'm finding I have more serenity and wisdom than I thought, and need more courage.

I'm very into humility these days. It helps me face my sh*t, I don't fight it and try to be bigger than the "maladaptions."
Old 02-15-2018, 08:36 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

MM, I prefer maladaptions too. Maladaptive thoughts, maladaptive behaviors (although I removed the most maladaptive behavior). I think this term is more apropos than labeling such thought patterns as 'isms' (a term I hear in AA, which I get, but wouldn't use myself).