Notices

6 Month Sober and got the flu...experienced extreme anxiety

Old 02-11-2018, 03:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

6 Month Sober and got the flu...experienced extreme anxiety

Hi guys! New to the forum and wanted to say hi. Just passed my 6 month sober. Going thru final phase in divorce and all that goes with that. Lawyers, custody, selling house and no money. So yea have a lot on my plate so doesn’t help the anxiety. Social anxiety is the worst for me right now. I look like a crazy person sometimes, especially when dealing with strong personalities and others with anxiety issues. Overall I’m doing ok. I just recently got sick and was very tired. My anxiety kicked onto high gear! I almost broke and starting thinking a drink was my solution. I prayed and made some phone calls. Fortunately I didn’t give in. I gave myself as much rest as I can. I have 3 boys and still had to work during this. I have gone thru so much work so far trying to tackle the reasons I used alcohol. Co-dependacy and huge anxiety issues. I have no desire to go back. My true personality is just starting to come out. It really scared me how bad the anxiety came on while being sick. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 02-11-2018, 04:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 6 months sober. That's great.

It sounds like you have a lot going on in your life right now, a lot of stress and changes, and being sick as well. I also have a lot of anxiety issues and began drinking to self-medicate. I think that anxiety can pop up unexpectedly, as you found. And, you did the right thing, and reaching out is always good. Here are some tips:

TIPS FOR DEALING WITH ANXIETY (the American Assoc for Anxiety & Depression)

Take a Time-Out. Try some yoga, listen to music, meditate, get a massage or learn relaxation techniques. Stepping back from the problem can help clear your head.

Eat well-balanced meals. Do not skip any meals. Keep healthful, energy-boosting snacks on hand. Limit caffeine.

Get enough sleep/rest. Exercise daily to help you feel good and maintain your health. Use an iPod or exercise buddy to help you stick to your routine.

Take deep breaths. Inhale and exhale slowly. Belly-Breathing: Sit comfortably with shoulders, head and neck relaxed. Breath in slowly through your nose so that your stomach expands. Tighten stomach muscles, letting them fall inward as you exhale slowly through your mouth.

Do your best. Instead of aiming for perfection, which isn’t possible, be proud of however close you get.

Accept that you cannot control everything. Put your stress in perspective: Is it really as bad as you think?

Welcome humour. A good laugh goes a long way.

Maintain a positive attitude. Make an effort to replace negative thoughts with positive ones.

Get involved. Volunteer or find another way to be active in your community, which creates a support network and gives you a break from everyday stress.

Learn what triggers your anxiety. Is it work, family, school or something else you can’t identify? Write in a journal when you’re feeling stressed. Look for a pattern.

Talk to someone. Tell friends/family you’re feeling overwhelmed and let them know how they can help. Talk to a professional.

Books

Amen, Daniel Change Your Brain, Change Your Life
Bassett, Lucinda From Panic to Power
Burns, David MD When Panic Attacks
Chodron, Pema The Places that Scare You
Doidge, Norman MD The Brain that Changes Itself
Dyer, Wayne Change Your Thoughts, Change Your Life
Orsilla, Ken Mindful Way Through Anxiety
Old 02-11-2018, 04:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I definitely have exoeruence aniety when sick and early on sui\ickness meant cravings. I'd conditioned myself to feel good - when I didn;t feel good my anser came in a bottle.

It took a little time but I broke the association by not drinking - I got better...and the cravings went away.

I don't crave when I'm sick now cos I know it would make things worse not better

D
Old 02-11-2018, 05:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, Sber4life!

Sounds like you have a lot on your plate. Being sick on top of everything else can certainly bring on anxiety. Try and take some time for yourself whenever possible. Self-care is so important in our overall health.

Congratulations on 6 months!
Old 02-11-2018, 05:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome! Six months sober is great! I get anxious when I'm sick too, cause it makes it harder to care for my dogs and cats, much less myself.