Notices

Trying again

Old 02-11-2018, 01:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying again

Hi all, I haven't been on SR for a while. I had almost 6 months sobriety but started drinking again in May and have been pretty much drinking daily since then.

In the first few months of sobriety I visited SR daily and even when I wasn't posting I was reading as much as I could. I then became complacent and didn't think I needed it and of course with no effort being made toward my recovery it wasn't long before I began drinking.

I'm 44 this year and I just feel so sad and angry when I think about how much my drinking has stolen from me in absolutely every aspect of my life. This has to stop because it's going to kill me. The way I'm existing now could not be described as a life.

Day 1, thanks for being here everyone.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Cara, congrats on day 1
Old 02-11-2018, 01:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome back. I've been in and out many times as well. Hoping to last this time.

Hope you do too.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back, Cara!

Alcoholism steals everything from us if we let it. I'm glad you're back.
Old 02-11-2018, 05:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Cara

D
Old 02-11-2018, 05:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Very good to have you back, Cara. You sound determined & ready to do this. We know you can.
Old 02-11-2018, 05:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Stick with it this time, I was there....it will get better. One minute at a time ....then one hour at a time...one day at a time. We didn't get sick all at once, so it will take some time to get well. Best wishes to you.
Old 02-11-2018, 05:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cara39 View Post
d I just feel so sad and angry when I think about how much my drinking has stolen from me in absolutely every aspect of my life.
Hi Cara! Thanks for sharing your story. The quote above really struck a chord with me. I can tell you really want to make this change, and I hope this time will be your last go around. A drink adds nothing good to our lives, and it takes everything. Congrats for getting back up any trying again

I also want to thank you for your post. I only have a month but I can already anticipate feeling complacent in the future. Your post is very valuable as a reminder to all of us in this struggle.
Old 02-11-2018, 06:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

There is nothing good for me about my drinking. I guess my wakeup to how pathetic I am when I am "toasted" had to do with someone videoing me. Talk about reality check. I found this website and try to visit daily, it helps keep me sober just by understanding that I am not alone. There is such a strength to be gained and inspiration from reading what others dare to share because we've all been there in varying degrees. I hope you keep coming back and letting us know how you are doing. It helps me!
Old 02-11-2018, 07:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
J50

I'm a couple years younger than you, but I think I'm kind of going through a mini mid-life crisis. I too have thought about wasted time. I just saw a Zig Zigler quote that said, "it's not the length of life that matters, it's the depth." You can't do anything about lost time, but you can make up for it by living purposely and purposefully!