Notices

Meditation

Old 02-11-2018, 02:20 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Meditation was a big thing in early AA, they ran specific meditation meetings, but the purpose may have been different. They were big on action and viwed prayer as talking to God, and meditation as listening to God. The idea was to try and determine what God's will was for the individual for that day. It was a kind of "how can I be of service" sort of principle.

That might be different to many modern forms of meditation which seem more inward looking and I don't know if that is always a good thing. Most alcoholics are neurotic (so it was said) and I feel the person who is constantly looking inward will always find something to worry about. In AA we are cautioned against morbid reflection, and encouraged to be more outward looking seeking God's will, carrying the message, trying to be of service to our fellows in various ways. It seems to work quite well in terms of making sobriety a satisfying way to live.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:48 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Soberista - how is the mediation going?

Years ago I got certified in TM. I'm going back to that technique these days. I find it incredibly useful. Pricey but for me it was worth it.
Old 03-08-2018, 03:40 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I use the Insight Meditation app. They have guided meditations on there, which is one way to learn.

this is how you practice Insight Meditation: https://www.lionsroar.com/how-to-pra...ht-meditation/

If you have a Buddhist Center near you, I would highly recommend checking it out.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:11 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Gottalife, I could be wrong, but it sounds like meditation is being confused with prayer in your post. While they have similarities, meditation has been around for over 5,000 years and focuses on mindfulness and a spiritual oneness with the universe. It is the absence of conscious thinking and finding inner peace without guidance from deities. Just my two cents.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:16 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I also use the Headspace. Although they always start with ‘find a place to sit’ and to ‘close your eyes’ I do it walking the same loop as I find the rythm of my steps and breathing works with mindfulness. Some purists may be horrified by that but I don’t care!
Old 03-08-2018, 04:17 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

ZenButterfly, thank you for posting this link! I will learn a lot from it and it gives me an additional resource to draw from. Namaste.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:13 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

There are a billion free mindfulness/meditation apps. Refuge Recovery is a Buddhist meditation based recovery program
Old 03-09-2018, 07:17 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thanks Mindful, I just downloaded the ebook. Perfect! 40 days in and I had a pretty strong craving last night. Hubby talked me out of it, but this will be so helpful. Your info may have saved me from myself. LOL.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:16 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by CaliButterfly View Post
Gottalife, I could be wrong, but it sounds like meditation is being confused with prayer in your post. While they have similarities, meditation has been around for over 5,000 years and focuses on mindfulness and a spiritual oneness with the universe. It is the absence of conscious thinking and finding inner peace without guidance from deities. Just my two cents.
You could be right, I merely mention it as a matter of historical fact. Meditation as I have experienced it and as suggested in the AA program has helped millions of alcoholics to not only stay sober, but live a rich and satisfying life.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:40 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I like the Insight Timer app!
Also - some places have free or very cheap meditation classes. Check out yoga studios in your area!
Old 03-09-2018, 10:07 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Originally Posted by Bunny211 View Post
I like the Insight Timer app!
Also - some places have free or very cheap meditation classes. Check out yoga studios in your area!
That's the one I use.

Let me know how you like Refuge Cali. Also agree on the differentiation between prayer and meditation.

http://bigthink.com/21st-century-spi...and-meditation
Old 03-09-2018, 10:13 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
Soberista - how is the mediation going?

Years ago I got certified in TM. I'm going back to that technique these days. I find it incredibly useful. Pricey but for me it was worth it.
Hello! I am finding my meditation practice is going very well thanks. I am using the Headspace app for daily meditations in the morning (about 20 mins or so) and then at night I am sleeping with either Om chanting or 432Hz binaural sounds. I feel very settled in my mind now. Internal chatter is definitely a lot less than pre meditation.
Old 03-09-2018, 01:07 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
sober style

I started meditating after I read Dan Harris's book 10% Happier: How I Tamed the Voice in My Head, Reduced Stress Without Losing My Edge, and Found Self-Help That Actually Works--A True Story. Just really basic stuff, I hold perfectly still for 10 or 15 minutes while I think about my breath. And whenever my mind wanders, I pull it back and think about my breath some more. It sounds ridiculous and silly, I mean how could this possibly help me. But I'll be damned if it hasn't worked, just amazing. I never woulda believed it, but I believe it now.