Notices

Trying to gather some strength

Old 02-20-2018, 02:33 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stew1984 View Post
Well if im dealing with today and today only, I'm up and on my way to work. I think what’s happened is because I started up drinking again, the urges are way worse than the last time I decided to quit.

First and foremost today, I have to break this vicious cycle and get into bed sober. I have to face any discomfort today and dismiss any cravings.

The reality has been I’ve prioritised alcohol over everything and everyone else has been a side note.

I feel like it’s now this huge monster that’s taken control- I’ve got to challenge this today and take back control of the situation
Make it so, Stewy. Do whatever it takes to make it so, even it is difficult, inconvenient and uncomfortable.

Please don't let this monster win.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:52 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Sometimes I think it's fear that keeps Stewy stuck. There's a big difference between posting here and dealing with people F2F, whether it's at an AA meeting, therapist or rehab. Here, you have moderators that will intervene if they feel something said is not appropriate. Stewy's "plans" to get sober would just not hold up with the people in AA and I think he knows it. Tell someone in AA that your grand plan is to spend more time with family or go to bed sober. They would see through this in a heartbeat. John
Old 02-20-2018, 02:56 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Administrator

Threads work best when we speak directly to the OP and not about them I think.

D
Old 02-20-2018, 03:03 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

AA is not the only way. I feel Stewy, you are quite railroaded on your threads into going to AA whether you want it or not!
There is also nothing at all wrong with wanting to spend more time with family.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:03 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Threads work best when we speak directly to the OP and not about them I think.

D
My thinking with my previous post was to maybe shed some new light on why Stewy doesn't take up some of the advise here on SR. I thought that if people here saw a different reason why he seems so stuck would trigger some post of people that have gone through the same situation and might provide some insight on how they dealt with it. But I understand what you are saying. John
Old 02-20-2018, 03:21 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mandypandy View Post
AA is not the only way. I feel Stewy, you are quite railroaded on your threads into going to AA whether you want it or not!
Stewy..how much SOBER time have you really spent with your family(this question includes not being hungover,wasting energy on being mad at yourself for drinking,ect.. or watching the clock until you could drink) in the last 30days? Serious question.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:50 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by mandypandy View Post
There are other meeting based face to face approaches for sure.

http://www.smartrecovery.org.uk/
LifeRing UK - LifeRing

and other helpful agencies:

https://www.alcoholconcern.org.uk/local-services
http://www.addaction.org.uk/
https://www.changegrowlive.org/get-help
Old 02-20-2018, 05:01 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Going to tackle it myself. I know I’m just talking words with no action. I’m not a stupid person. I respect all in the forum and their respective pathways. I understand the principle of humility.
It (for me) has become a stalemate here. There is literally nothing anyone can do that has not been said on here. I get that. The answer is with me. No need for harshness in any way, shape or form with me, I’ll take criticism. It is warranted in this situation.
I have all the knowledge, as said before, it is action that is needed.

If you are irritated by me or annoyed, there is no requirement for you to respond to me. Everyone deals with things differently and uniquely.
We are all from different backgrounds.
I’ve run my race here, that’s ok, need to find my own path elsewhere now. Bridges have been burned however I just want to say I have maximum respect for folks on here
Old 02-20-2018, 05:04 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Stewy, bridges haven't been burned. We are all very glad that you are here.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:26 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think anyone here feels you've run your race or burned any bridges Stewy.

This is not about personalities - it's about principles.

I wouldn't let anything distract me from the job at hand, which is staying sober.

It's true the buck stops with you but the journey is undeniably easier with a little help

D
Old 02-20-2018, 09:29 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Please give this a listen Stewy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sdu_1_A0dcM
Old 02-21-2018, 07:49 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Originally Posted by Stew1984 View Post

If you are irritated by me or annoyed, there is no requirement for you to respond to me. Everyone deals with things differently and uniquely.

I’ve run my race here, that’s ok, need to find my own path elsewhere now. Bridges have been burned however I just want to say I have maximum respect for folks on here
Hmm.. I have been following threads you posted last year. I've been away for a couple months. But see the threads are gone or you have a new user name.

I found them interesting and chimed in to give some support... (maybe a little push too) ,, Which In my opinion is something people could take or leave. I reckon they come to a place like this for advice and to vent too.

So I am not sure why you mentioned peeps being irritated or annoyed (your first sentence above). Hardly the case... Like you said, we can just skip your threads and choose so many others to respond to.

But as long as you post .. We will reply!

But know this.. You are not alone.