Notices

Am I an Alcoholic?

Old 02-09-2018, 02:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Am I an Alcoholic?

I do not drink daily.. however, when I do, I drink 12 to 15 beers. I have little alcohol abuse in my family. My uncle drank 30 to 40 beers a day for years. I am worried. I have never had the shakes but I have had cravings. I live alone and am single, but I don't want to be an alcoholic
Old 02-09-2018, 02:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes it is...it's still a binge. and your not young anymore and it's notable problems with it, use to bounce back fine...now it makes you sick and does not help with Mental state.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't think anybody wants to be an alcoholic. I've never drank every day, have never had physical withdrawal symptoms. However, I crave and my tolerance increased and I couldn't always control how much I drank. I just completed rehab. I am definitely an alcoholic.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Zlombo. No one can answer the question of weather or not you are an alcoholic but you. For me, it wasn't about how often I drank, but what happened to me once I put alcohol into my body. That's how I knew I was an alcoholic. And nobody wants to be an alcoholic, any more than anyone wants to be a diabetic, but somewhere a line got crossed for me where I will never be able to drink like a 'normal' person ever again.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome, Zlombo! Great to have you with us.

It isn't how often we drink, but what happens to us when we do. Once it's in our system there's no way to predict what might happen. You don't intend to drink that many beers, but you do - and that's cause for concern. I think it's good you came here to talk about it.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Zlombo - I didn;t want to be an alcoholic either but things got a lot better when I accepted that and stopped drinking.

You'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 02-09-2018, 03:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
J50

Alcoholic, binge drinker, problem drinker...does it matter?

When we ask that question, I think we're looking for someone else to reassure us that our drinking is ok, or not so bad. Ultimately, it comes down to how you feel about your drinking patterns and its effect on your mental and physical health.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

There's lots of support and wisdom here if and when you decide to make a change. My two cents: don't fixate on the word, but what you want out of your life. If you think you drink too much sometimes and you aren't in control, you never have to have another drink again!
Old 02-09-2018, 04:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ProfessorD View Post
There's lots of support and wisdom here if and when you decide to make a change. My two cents: don't fixate on the word, but what you want out of your life.If you think you drink too much sometimes and you aren't in control, you never have to have another drink again!
Very solid advice, ProfD!