Notices

One Month Sober yet...

Old 02-09-2018, 07:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Embracing Joys of Sobriety

One Month Sober yet...

I have very mixed feelings :/

I thought I would arrive today joyous and proud of myself. Each day was a struggle but I made it.

Yet, three major negative events took place this week - in the past, I would have dived into Mr Bottle to avoid unpleasantness of my serious troubles. I woke up panicky and scared this morning and tried to focus on my being strong. Shame, guilt and self loathing has taken over me.

I know that drinking will not make these problems go away - I just pray that I can endure another month of sobriety yet facing these very serious problems.

For now, it will be a minute at a time. I know I am sorely tested and I refuse to fail!
Old 02-09-2018, 07:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats on a month Gem! Very glad to hear that you were able to face the problems around you and find alternate ways to deal with them, that's really what it's all about.

Regarding the way you are feeling, remember that many of us did have underlying issues that we needed to deal with. Praying, counseling, step work, self help, meditation and others are all tools to help us learn to cope with life. Are you doing anything to help yourself out in that area? Quitting drinking is a necessary first step - but in itself will not solve all of your problems.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on a month sober! Keep going, it gets better.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Embracing Joys of Sobriety

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Congrats on a month Gem! Very glad to hear that you were able to face the problems around you and find alternate ways to deal with them, that's really what it's all about.

Regarding the way you are feeling, remember that many of us did have underlying issues that we needed to deal with. Praying, counseling, step work, self help, meditation and others are all tools to help us learn to cope with life. Are you doing anything to help yourself out in that area? Quitting drinking is a necessary first step - but in itself will not solve all of your problems.
Thank you Scott.

You are very correct. It is just that I am profoundly deaf and cannot access any AA, SMART or whatnot group meetings. No one knows the seriousness of my drinking problem (although I am sure some did but were too polite to say anything)so there is no one I can fully turn to.

I have attempted at meditation but my brain is too scattered just yet to stay at attention longer than a few minutes. I am still experiencing brain fog from this detoxing month.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It takes a while to feel better but I saw that as a sign of the damage I did to myself and it helped scare me away from drinking more. I did relapse at two months three times. The brain fog was really bad for me, things started to turn around the six month mark. I just tried my hardest to keep my head down and make it through each day.

One year later and I'm feeling a lot better. The fog tended to leave in lessening waves that slowly dispersed, it would ease up and come back again so if that happens to you don't be alarmed and distraught by it (it can be unnerving) but know that it is the start of it going away.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Gem! I'm also "celebrating" a month today, and I know what you mean about mixed feelings. Speaking for myself, I know that as an alcoholic I'm prone to very black-and-white thinking and impatience. So mixed feelings and patience with the process of sobriety are both hard, but I hope we can both find and stay in the joy. Wishing you the best, friend!
Old 02-09-2018, 09:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Gem, congratulations on a month of sobriety and the hard work you put into it. I'm sure it's a bit disappointing that you are still experiencing negative feelings. It can take a lot of hard work to get past the shame, guilt and self-loathing. You might find that a Gratitude Journal would help you.

Be very proud of how far you've come.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on one month Gem!
Old 02-09-2018, 03:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Gem010918 View Post
Thank you Scott.

You are very correct. It is just that I am profoundly deaf and cannot access any AA, SMART or whatnot group meetings. No one knows the seriousness of my drinking problem (although I am sure some did but were too polite to say anything)so there is no one I can fully turn to.
Portland seems pretty well served by deaf meetings, at least in AA., Gem

Portland Deaf Access Committee

Congrats on your month

Whatever the problems are drinking is not a solution. Drinking is the anti- solution., It's a futile attempt to tolerate the intolerable.

Its a vote for doing nothing

D