SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   How do you find the reason you drank? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/423197-how-do-you-find-reason-you-drank.html)

Readygo 02-09-2018 11:37 AM

So much great words of advice! Thank you everyone! I have spent time thinking about it because I thought it was important in the Recovery process. it seems like it’s just a part if found helpful to know but not necessarily needed, and the reason may just be that it’s alcoholism, which seems like that’s what I’ll take for now 🤷🏼*♀️

Josie321 02-09-2018 01:16 PM

I drank because it was easy.

An easy way to forget, to feel good, to feel strong, to feel calm, and then sleep, of a kind.

Then it became a habit ...an addiction.

2ndhandrose 02-09-2018 01:58 PM

I used to think if I could figure out why I drank, it would be easier to stay sober.

Then the longer I was sober, I realized that even though I had a ton o' issues, the real reason I drank is because I am an alcoholic.

Now that I don't drink, ironically, it frees me up to actually work on those ton o' issues.

You are doing great, Readygo :grouphug:

J50 02-09-2018 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 (Post 6780097)

I'm reading a book right now by Gabor Mate. I relate a lot to his writings and a few quotes really resonate for me:
"Boredom, rooted in the fundamental discomfort with the self, is one of the least tolerable mental states".

Wow, that is a powerful quote!

Snowydelrico 02-09-2018 11:11 PM

You may not know how it started.
But you had the mindfulness to know how it would end.

Snowydelrico 02-09-2018 11:41 PM

Foresight not mindfulness ( sorry guys it’s early)

mandypandy 02-10-2018 12:40 AM

I drank because, once I was in trouble with it and decided to stop, I kept going back on that decision. Once an urge hit me, then the AV would come up with a suitable excuse why I should and it would overrule everything. This would happen instantly, so I couldn't separate the two.
The WANT to drink was there first, the REASON to drink was conjured up by my AV

August252015 02-10-2018 02:29 AM

ReadyGo - I like what you said about "being an alcoholic being enough for now." I think I did that too - I had to focus on accepting that fact, and just that much, as i got started in recovery. Focusing on the other pieces I mentioned, and the like, came later.

brighterday1234 02-10-2018 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by Readygo (Post 6780488)
So much great words of advice! Thank you everyone! I have spent time thinking about it because I thought it was important in the Recovery process. it seems like it’s just a part if found helpful to know but not necessarily needed, and the reason may just be that it’s alcoholism, which seems like that’s what I’ll take for now 🤷🏼*♀️

Great attitude 👍