Notices

the concept of 'it gets better with time'

Old 02-09-2018, 06:33 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Lots of good stuff here. I think people who say their lives are better "beyond their wildest dreams" are maybe people who were really really at a serious rock bottom. I got to a pretty bad place, but hadn't lost everything like some people have. So it's relative. Outwardly, my life doesn't look that different than it did before I quit. Nothing earth-shattering has changed when it comes to job, living situation, family, etc. BUT - looking back over the past 3 or so years of sobriety, I can clearly see how much I have changed emotionally and spiritually. It has been a mostly gradual change. Things have added up. For example - I don't lie anymore. I was constantly trying to hide my behavior from other people and my life became a series of lies. I simply have nothing to lie about now. That has a huge effect on how I feel about myself. I really hated myself for a while when the drinking got really bad and my lies were catching up to me - people stopped trusting me. Changing just that one thing would have been enough for me to feel like it was all worth it - but there's so much more. So for me, it's all about how I feel about myself on a daily basis, and how much better all of my relationships have become. People trust me again, and I trust myself.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:48 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Offthemast View Post
Watch that video I posted and listen to Lessgravity. That video knocked me on my butt. Basically it says Do Not Pursue Happiness. We were meant to experience the human condition. All of its emotions. When we focus on one i.e. happiness we rob ourselves of the experience. Something to think about.
#15 on this list I posted here:
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ry-barlow.html (Principals of Adult Behavior - John Perry Barlow)

Adult principle #15: Avoid the pursuit of happiness. Seek to define your mission and pursue that.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:53 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

congratulations on 2 months. That's huge!

on the other hand - 2 months isn't very long. In terms of peeling back the layers of addiction and working on genuine sobriety.

It absolutely gets better with time.

And better... and better... and better... and better....

Old 02-09-2018, 06:55 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

(quick follow-up note: what gets the MOST better with time, in my experience, is attitude. Life will always throw stuff at us. Because - THAT's LIFE. But with time, with sobriety, with depth, with growth, our attitude, our approach and response to life changes entirely. And THAT makes all the difference. And the better just keeps on coming).
Old 02-09-2018, 06:57 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

This has been such an interesting thread to read. So many great responses. Thanks for asking the questions.