Notices

Bad Anxiety Day.....

Old 02-06-2018, 07:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bad Anxiety Day.....

Really wanting the quick fix of a double scotch. Going to go the gym, but man, the temptation is strong. Gosh, I am tired of the stress.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I feel ya....hang in there. The gym is a great idea, you will feel way better after you workout.

4Thorns
Old 02-06-2018, 07:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I still have good and bad days with my anxiety too Horn, but i always remember that it's temporary and it definitely won't kill me ;-) And also remember that the "quick fix" is a lie - it will actually make things worse if you drink. Kind of like trying to put out a fire by pouring gasoline on it.

Coming here was a good idea though - what tools do you have to help with your anxiety? Taking a walk, calming music, exercise, meditation, any "busy work" you can find, the list is long.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
I still have good and bad days with my anxiety too Horn, but i always remember that it's temporary and it definitely won't kill me ;-) And also remember that the "quick fix" is a lie - it will actually make things worse if you drink. Kind of like trying to put out a fire by pouring gasoline on it.

Coming here was a good idea though - what tools do you have to help with your anxiety? Taking a walk, calming music, exercise, meditation, any "busy work" you can find, the list is long.
I am going to try some meditation when I get back. But I do have work to do today.😖
Old 02-06-2018, 07:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I feel for you, Horn. Please hang in there it gets better.

The gym is a fantastic choice.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Rar

I hear you, Horn. As Scott pointed out, there are good days and bad days. Keep yourself busy and get through today. Stay on SR as much as you can. When I my anxiety doesn't seem to lessen as the day goes on and I feel I've tried everything I can, I call it an early night and head to bed to read. Good you came here. Hang in there.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I can relate too Horn. I get extreme anxiety that develops into panic attacks but they've become less & less as the sober days rack up (163 days today). I relate me anxiety to fear.. For me it's fear that creates my anxiety. Fear of the future, fear of being overworked, fear of being alone ect ect ect. What really helps is when I feel that anxiety coming on, I try and shift my thinking on to something else, put my focus on something else. When it gets really bad, I come on SR, or make a phone call and talk about it. I also use grounding techniques and meditation too. You going to the gym is great, exercise is a anxiety crusher. The big thing to remember is that it wont kill you and it wont last forever (Yes I know, easier said than done).
Hang in there pal
Old 02-06-2018, 10:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sorry you had a bad spell with anxiety .
As the guys say above it passes .
Fearful thinking is at the root of anxiety which is what I have learned from much reading . Going to the gym is an excellent example of dealing with anxiety disorder .
Not meaning to sound obvious but drinking is never going to help .
God only knows the past 5 weeks for me have been very challenging but i'm still sober and feel as if i'm coming out of some dark tunnel of fear and worry .

Its a bit of a cliche here but we should try harder to only live 24 hours at a time and stop worrying about last week, tomorrow or or 1 months from now . I would have had a much easier time if I had listened to this advice .

Wishing you well
Old 02-06-2018, 11:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I can relate. I will not drink with you today.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Horn, I'm sorry that you're struggling today. I have bad anxiety some days, too.

I hope you feel better after you go to the gym.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Horn,
I hope your workout helps with your anxiety. I also get anxiety and panic attacks. The two things that help me most are measured breathing. And writing down “I don’t like it, but I can tolerate” repeatedly. (I think I learned that here and it is similar to what was stated above by Scott). Keep going horn, you’re doing great!
Old 02-06-2018, 11:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hear you man. I'm struggling with some insane anxiety today - was up all night after I drank a 5th of vodka at work yesterday.

And of course the demon wants more - the only thing that calms it down it feels like sometimes.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
the only thing that calms it down it feels like sometimes.
That's a lie perpetuated by alcohol as well though. What it really does is make it worse.

It's progressive really. At first drinking makes you feel good, no question. After a while, it helps you "wind down/relax". Then it becomes a daily routine you need at the end of the day to wind down. The next step is that you start drinking during the day too - which I think is where you are at now, right? After that you start drinking it in the morning just to get going for the day. Then it becomes necessary to drink pretty much during all waking hours of the day just to prevent withdrawals.

That's the point where I got off the ride - I was literally forcing beers down in the morning just to stave off heart palpitations and a racing heart. Sometimes I'd vomit them right back up, but i'd keep trying until I finally kept one down. I would go through that ritual outside to try and hide it from my family, but i'm sure my neighbors heard me gagging/wretching on the mornings when I couldn't quite get one down.

There are plenty of even more horrifying steps after that, but I think you get the point right? What's scary is how much more quickly the steps progress the farther you get in. I personally went from the "drinking every day but still able to handle it" to puking my guts out in my driveway stage in about 12 months. And I had been a "career" drinker for 2 plus decades prior to that - things really go south in a hurry, and I hope you can do something before it's far too late.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
That's a lie perpetuated by alcohol as well though. What it really does is make it worse.

It's progressive really. At first drinking makes you feel good, no question. After a while, it helps you "wind down/relax". Then it becomes a daily routine you need at the end of the day to wind down. The next step is that you start drinking during the day too - which I think is where you are at now, right? After that you start drinking it in the morning just to get going for the day. Then it becomes necessary to drink pretty much during all waking hours of the day just to prevent withdrawals.

That's the point where I got off the ride - I was literally forcing beers down in the morning just to stave off heart palpitations and a racing heart. Sometimes I'd vomit them right back up, but i'd keep trying until I finally kept one down. I would go through that ritual outside to try and hide it from my family, but i'm sure my neighbors heard me gagging/wretching on the mornings when I couldn't quite get one down.

There are plenty of even more horrifying steps after that, but I think you get the point right? What's scary is how much more quickly the steps progress the farther you get in. I personally went from the "drinking every day but still able to handle it" to puking my guts out in my driveway stage in about 12 months. And I had been a "career" drinker for 2 plus decades prior to that - things really go south in a hurry, and I hope you can do something before it's far too late.
I am sure my neighbor has heard the same. Did you drink at work? What kind of work did/do you do?
Old 02-06-2018, 12:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by lessgravity View Post
Did you drink at work? What kind of work did/do you do?
Does it really matter? The point is that drinking was the problem, and the problem always gets worse.

I tried to rationalize/marginalize/compare my drinking to to others just like you are doing now. And it really doesn't matter why we did it or how bad we did it, or when we did it. The only solution is accepting that it IS a problem and taking the necessary steps.
Old 02-06-2018, 03:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hows it going Horn?

D