SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Getting a grip (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/423057-getting-grip.html)

Stew1984 02-06-2018 03:15 AM

Getting a grip

My mind is a bit clearer today, glad I’ve got rid of all the cans from my room, it feels like a better environment now

I’m in work at the minute, not too many cravings so far today, as I did yesterday, going to take plenty of water on board and make sure I’m eating well

Hope everyone has a good day, will post later

Rar 02-06-2018 04:07 AM

Good for you Stew. When I was drinking, I started to crave around noon. To me, it seemed an acceptable time to have my first drink. Now, 4 weeks later, the noon hour passes and I find I hadn't noticed. If I'm having any craves, I'm finding they are starting later and later and continue until I've eaten dinner. Once I've eaten something, they diminish.

Stew1984 02-06-2018 04:11 AM

CHeers Rar.

Incidentally, I’m just having my lunch now and probably having a bit extra just to make sure I’m full

Stew 🙂

Komplex 02-06-2018 04:17 AM

Great work! Keep going Stew.

Jaffacake 02-06-2018 04:29 AM

Hi all feeling bluh today, no energy, dull headache , I'm at work for 12 hours today so I know for a fact that around 7pm I'm going to start craving as work has always been a trigger for me , think I'll drive a different route home, change up my routine when I get in
Love to you all 😁

Jaffacake 02-06-2018 04:31 AM

Told you I was feeling bluh, I've posted on the wrong forum 😂😂😂
Well done stewy 👍👍👍

Hawkeye13 02-06-2018 05:52 AM

You can do it stew--sending you extra positive thoughts and energy :)

Stew1984 02-06-2018 08:56 AM

First cravings hitting now

Feel tired and anxious, time to eat and drink some water

Thoughts like go and get the cans after your music rehearsal later, you can’t do this Stew, just one more night etc etc etc

Just ignoring it at the minute, feel like I’m being moody- in reality, probs not

Anna 02-06-2018 08:58 AM

Stewy, you have to work through the cravings. That's how to lessen them and then eventually they will disappear.

Good plan to eat and drink water. That will always help.

SoberLeigh 02-06-2018 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Stew1984 (Post 6776176)

Thoughts like go and get the cans after your music rehearsal later, you can’t do this Stew, just one more night etc etc etc

Just ignoring it at the minute, feel like I’m being moody- in reality, probs not

Yes,mdefinitely have something to eat. Take plenty of water with you to your music rehearsal. Then go straight home:) and straight to sleep.

It will feel fantastic to awaken tomorrow morning hangover-free.

ScottFromWI 02-06-2018 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Stew1984 (Post 6776176)

This is completely normal Stewy - the thoughts always come sooner or later. Make some alternative plans for tonight - just "ignoring" the thoughts wont' work as they won't just go away. How about a movie, a walk or a good book? Or maybe even an AA or recovery meeting? There are plenty of them online so you don't even have to leave your home. You could also set a time to log back on here right after practice - put it in your phone and give yourself a reminder.

Stew1984 02-06-2018 09:55 AM

Yes thanks guys, all suggestions duly noted and much appreciated.I’m just taking my daughter to dance class now, straight after that is the rehearsal.

I can stretch the rehearsal to around 11pm tonight, then I’m going to post here on my way home

I’m worried about how I’m going to cope day to day with just my sober self. I think that is what is part of why I’ve repeatedly failed recently

tomsteve 02-06-2018 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Stew1984 (Post 6776262)

I’m worried about how I’m going to cope day to day with just my sober self. I think that is what is part of why I’ve repeatedly failed recently

many,many people have suggested a recovery plan/program for that.

Opivotal 02-06-2018 10:18 AM

Stew, try and stay in "today". Worrying about tomorrow adds extra stress you just don't need right now. Get through today, fill your usual drinking time with something that keeps your mind busy.

One day at a time. :)

SoberLeigh 02-06-2018 01:14 PM

Yes thanks guys, all suggestions duly noted and much appreciated.I’m just taking my daughter to dance class now, straight after that is the rehearsal.

I can stretch the rehearsal to around 11pm tonight, then I’m going to post here on my way home

I am guessing that you are at the rehearsal now. Please go straight home, Stewy, and directly to sleep.

I feel that IRL support would really help the 'day to day' that worries you, Stewy.

joandmelandhan 02-06-2018 01:21 PM

Stewy I have been hoping you would come back and give this a really good go again. Just focus today on getting your head on that pillow tonight. If you feel a vicious craving go straight home and have a nice long hot shower, maybe another snack and a soothing herbal tea or just a glass of water.
Then you can get to bed and be safe. Yes cry if you need to. Nothing matters apart from staying sober today. Nothing.

rascalwhiteoak 02-06-2018 06:35 PM

I worried too, but it turned out I wasn't nearly as bad of a person to be around as I thought. Go gentle on yourself, man.

SoberLeigh 02-06-2018 06:37 PM

How did things go tonight, Stewy?

time2shineagain 02-06-2018 08:41 PM

One day or even one HOUR at a time. You CAN do this Stewy 👍

SoberLeigh 02-07-2018 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by time2shineagain (Post 6777016)
One day or even one HOUR at a time. You CAN do this Stewy 👍

^^^^^

Stewy, there were times for me when it was literally minute by minute. It CAN be done.