Notices

Hangover changes

Old 02-05-2018, 08:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hangover changes

Has anyone experienced changes in hangovers?

I think most people have been in that state of being hungover to where you say "I'm never drinking again", just to restart in a day or two to feel better.

It's easier for me to prompt myself to stop, or at least take a break when I feel crap in the morning , but I'm not getting hungover much at the moment. I used to feel like I couldn't make it to the bathroom in the morning after 8 drinks, but I'm not feeling the aftereffects at the moment... It's strange.

I've cut back, but still have a bottle of wine in the evenings, and call it good and drink sparkling water... I go to bed at 9 and wake up at 4am to hit the gym downstairs. I suppose i'm a bit more tired through the day compared to when I've had months sober, but I wake up excited with energy the next day after drinking. Is this normal?

What does it mean if I used to get brutally hungover after a sixer of potent beer, and I no longer get hungover on the same amount?

Is my liver failing? Anyone have experience with this? It's making it really hard to stop.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

yup. i stopped having them and being concerned about them when i decided to go to any length for victory over alcohol.

Anyone have experience with this? It's making it really hard to stop.

i dont think its the lack of hangovers making it hard to stop, SS.
i think it may have something to do with wanting to stop- wanting to be sober more than you want to drink.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am currently only 3 days out this time.

I learned various ways to tamper the effects of hangovers.

I can usually get up and function pretty good now. Heck, I trained and ran marathons while drinking heavily.

I think one learns to make it better and your body adjusts. Going from drinking heavily to drinking only 1 bottle of wine - makes sense that your hangovers are easier. I experienced the same thing.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah.. When I want to stop, I stop, then I stop wanting to stop until I want to stop again.

I don't want to say this, but I'm enjoying my drink atm, but addiction is not a good place to be. I can feel it at around 3-4pm, and I get nauseous 'till I have a drink.

I'll do the same as usual and cut back to 1-2 drinks a day for a few weeks, then stop again. The fact that i can do this makes it harder to stop for good... I need to talk to Dr. Drew.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The best way to not have a hangover, for me, is to not drink! That way I know I have the energy for the day, no added calories to burn off and I am fresh every day.

Moderation drinking never worked for me. I would try it and succeed 1 day and then totally make up for it the following day, that 1 bottle of wine ended up being 4 towards the end of my drinking road.
Man, I am glad those days are over.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by sobersolstice View Post
Anyone have experience with this? It's making it really hard to stop.
Yep, it's called denial. Your addiction will try to find any little scrap of evidence that continuing to drink is "OK". And it looks like it has once again.

Go back and read some of your post history here and pretend that you are an outside observer. Ask yourself what kind of advice you would give if that person asked the same question you just posed in your post today.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah, never underestimate the power of alcoholism and the AV. It is relentless in looking for ways to keep you hooked.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Alcohol addiction is progressive. Over time, the nature of your hangovers will change as your tolerance and dependence to alcohol escalate.

I went through a brief golden period in my drinking career during which I experienced neither hangovers nor withdrawals. It was just a phase along the journey to full-blown alcoholism. Eventually, I began to have worse and worse withdrawal symptoms during periods of abstinence, and they lasted longer and longer.

When I finally quit for good, it took years to get over the prolonged withdrawal effects.

Just a cautionary word from one who has been there.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hmmm. Okay, so what's the question?

I read these questions:

I no longer get hungover on the same amount?
Is my liver failing?

I read these statements:

I'm not feeling the aftereffects at the moment
I don't want to say this, but I'm enjoying my drink atm

So, if I'm reading this correctly, you are drinking a bottle of wine a night, probably jumping in bed the moment you finish it, not getting hung over and this is working for you. You seem to know that this is addiction but because you don't have a hangover it's ok (I won't mention the whole, class 1 carcinogen thing). So if no hangovers is living large and you aren't really worried about other consequences, yeah, you've found the holy grail dude. Nailed it.

Seriously. Your addiction is driving the bus right now and you want a bunch of recovered addicts to tell ya its ok. All I can say is, if you want to run your own life, gag the addict, throw him in the boot and take the wheel back.
Old 02-06-2018, 05:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Rar

Fr Andante: Alcohol addiction is progressive. Over time, the nature of your hangovers will change as your tolerance and dependence to alcohol escalate.

I went through a brief golden period in my drinking career during which I experienced neither hangovers nor withdrawals

This was me. On my last day of drinking, I counted the number of beers I had already drank. I was astounded as I didn't feel drunk. Had I been drinking that amount every day? Don't know for sure. It was early evening and I said, "No more!" The next day, though a bit sluggish, I didn't feel horrible until about 11:00 a.m. when the withdrawal started to set in. I had relapsed a couple of times before and yes, the withdrawal was worse this time. I'm really working on my recovery. 28 days today.
Old 02-06-2018, 05:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes, my body has been permanently harmed by my alcohol use and my hangovers got worse and worse over time.

The last relapse I had I was puking and sick from what used to be a small amount in my earlier days.
And yes, I also had my "golden years" of no-hangover drinking. That is now past.

The reality is alcohol is not good for our systems, and abusing it has consequences.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

What you are experiencing is called "Kindling" or the "Kindling effect". Read up on it. It made a big difference in my level of acceptance of where I really was with my drinking for me.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yeah, it was when the hangovers went away that I really started getting scared.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I also got to where I didn't feel hungover after a standard night of drinking. But, by then my tolerance for feeling like **** had become rather high. Hungover was just how I felt.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Like rascalwhiteoak, I stopped having hangovers, and I thought that was just dandy! More reason to drink even more, right? What could possibly go wrong, after all, I was Invincible! I was such a superb specimen I didn't even get hangovers! Well, it turns out, as I physically and mentally declined, that I was existing in a state of perma-hangover, and that I felt like crap all the time. It was incremental and happened so slowly that I didn't recognize it. I just thought it was my normal state to feel bad most of the time.
I'm soooooo glad those horrible times are over.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
Hmmm. Okay, so what's the question?

I read these questions:

I no longer get hungover on the same amount?
Is my liver failing?

I read these statements:

I'm not feeling the aftereffects at the moment
I don't want to say this, but I'm enjoying my drink atm

So, if I'm reading this correctly, you are drinking a bottle of wine a night, probably jumping in bed the moment you finish it, not getting hung over and this is working for you. You seem to know that this is addiction but because you don't have a hangover it's ok (I won't mention the whole, class 1 carcinogen thing). So if no hangovers is living large and you aren't really worried about other consequences, yeah, you've found the holy grail dude. Nailed it.

Seriously. Your addiction is driving the bus right now and you want a bunch of recovered addicts to tell ya its ok. All I can say is, if you want to run your own life, gag the addict, throw him in the boot and take the wheel back.

Old 02-07-2018, 04:59 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Towards the end of my drinking career, I felt so ill and awful all the time, I thought it was normal! It was only when I quit I realised it wasn't.

My denial told me it was normal. The days I felt slightly less awful, I classed as feeling well. No!
Old 02-07-2018, 02:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Go to docs and get a blood test, no way to tell otherwise.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:30 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

hows it going sobersolstice?

D
Old 02-07-2018, 05:31 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Yep, it's called denial. Your addiction will try to find any little scrap of evidence that continuing to drink is "OK". And it looks like it has once again.

Go back and read some of your post history here and pretend that you are an outside observer. Ask yourself what kind of advice you would give if that person asked the same question you just posed in your post today.
Scott always brings the hard but so honest truth. I'm doing the same with my time BACK on this site. Such a good recommendation to do the same.