Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Drank for the past 16 years and now I can't stop. Need some help.

Notices

Drank for the past 16 years and now I can't stop. Need some help.

Old 02-05-2018, 02:38 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

great action 16years

D
Old 02-05-2018, 05:27 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

We're glad to have you be part of us, 16years.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:32 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR 16!
Old 02-06-2018, 12:55 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

You lot are honestly amazing. Without the supportive comments I probably wouldn't have had the will power to stop right now. This is my day 2 today of complete abstinence.

Everything is well. Had bloating and nausea this morning when I woke up but after an hour of running back and forth to the loo I feel fine. When I drank I would wake every morning at 7am to go to the toilet. I can set my watch to it, exactly the same time daily lol. Poops were awful. Still having that same issue but it'll take time. I'm only approaching day 2.

My weight bench arrives today so can't wait to hammer the exercise. Nothing beats the feeling of sore muscles.
Old 02-06-2018, 02:49 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

16 I'm sorry I didn't chip in earlier (well - I tried then my post vanished!)
A belated welcome to SR and I was pleased to see you pop by the 24 hour thread too!
What struck me about your thread was that it was 16 year for me too. 16 years of alcoholic drinking form age 30 to age 46 ( I drank before then of course but post-natal depression kicked it off big time at 30).
I came to SR utterly beaten in April 2016. It took another 18 months of on-off drinking to finally have me on my knees, "hands up I submit" ready to stop for good.
It only has to start with one day, then another, then another. SR is an absolute lifeline and I make sure I check in and post every day without fail.
You sound positive right now which is great. I wish you well and look forward to seeing more of you around and following your journey xxx
Old 02-06-2018, 03:43 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thanks Jo, and awesome news on your recover. It's stories like yours that give me the confidence to do this. I too have been on and off for years but never managed to stick it longer than a week. I did well September as I managed to quit for 60 days.

At a low eb today, feeling sleepy and just wanting to go to bed. But that's expected. Aside from that the battle continues and I shall not drink today
Old 02-06-2018, 06:26 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by 16YearsDrunk View Post

Oh, and I found an AA place local to me. Giving them a call today.
I did that as an absolute last resort and was surprised to find permanent recovery there. It is not a program for wimps though.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:36 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Congratulations. Take it easy one day at a time. Sobriety is worth the work if you're an alcoholic! I would recommend some help on a personal level something like AA or another recovery therapy to meet some fellow sober alcoholics and have a solid support group.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:24 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome 16years.

I think the best piece of advice I have heard so far is this..when in early recovery spend time with people who have been in recovery a long time but also with people who have been in recovery less time than you. The people who have been in recovery a long time can tell you everything you need to know about how to keep on keeping on especially when times get difficult and the alcoholic voice (AV) starts to tap you on the shoulder and whisper in your ear. The people who have been in recovery less time than you.... well they need your support and you're close to them so you can easily remember what helped you along the road....and all the time each of us is holding out our hands to help each other along our way to a wonderful and fulfilling life. I wish I had done it years ago but i am here now.