Notices

Newly Sober and Pregnant

Old 02-04-2018, 09:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newly Sober and Pregnant

I actually had decided to get sober prior to realizing I was pregnant. I had been sweating and throwing up since Thursday night/monrning at 1:30AM. I had talked to a detox center but they couldn't get me in until Monday. Anyhow still sick as of Friday morning I got beer to drink to try to get me through the weekend. Saturday I realized my period was late. So I went to UC to ask what they recommend? They sent me to the ER because of being pregnant they thought a medical professional should monitor me. While there an elevated pulse and blood pressure and was dehydrated. They gave me an IV, nauseas meds, and Ativan . I was discharged with information on inpatient/outpatient clinics and a social workers information at 1AM last night. I am only 5 weeks pregnant. they gave me a prescription for Ativan and nausea med to use as needed, but now actually reading the pamphlet I am a little bit freaking out that i should skip the Ativan because it is a class D drug and has some pretty big risks for a fetus. I dont know if i Am keeping the baby yet . This pregnancy was not planned but I also dont want to do something to hurt the baby as well. Has anyone taken Ativan while pregnant? Or gone through WD while pregnant?
Old 02-04-2018, 10:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
waking down

I haven't, but regardless of your decision about the baby, you're doing the right thing. I'm surprised they gave you a benzo: https://www.drugs.com/ativan.html
Old 02-04-2018, 11:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I went through withdrawal while pregnant. I also had a pretty rough first trimester with morning sickness. I went through fertility treatment to get pregnant, the problem was with my husband not me so I was not on fertility drugs. We would have artificial insemination each month and if it didn’t take I’d go back to drinking - stupid I know. When it did work I quit drinking and didn’t touch it again for almost 18 months. I wasn’t smart like you and didn’t tell my Drs about my drinking so those first few weeks were rough.

Personally I did not take any prescription drugs, I just used ginger tablets for nausea. Best of luck with this unexpected news whatever you decide.
Old 02-04-2018, 11:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am not a doctor, and might get in trouble for saying this, but DON'T take the Ativan, especially in early pregnancy. So many risks. I have no idea why a doctor would prescribe that.

Stay monitored, drink a TON of water, eat fresh ginger if you can, up your folic acid and B vitamins. You can do this.

I actually went through mild withdrawal during my second pregnancy. I had no idea that was it. It turned out okay. Of course, everyone is different, and you will have to do what you need to do.

Just know, that benzos are horrible during pregnancy, although some people do need them. Best of luck, and congrats! Exciting.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Okay that is kind of what I thought. I haven't taken any since I was discharged and outside of some mild anxiety last night haven't felt horrible. I plan on going to a outpatient counseling center today and f/u with my GP and OB shortly and will see what they all say as well. Thank you all
Old 02-05-2018, 02:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Pt

I'm glad you're goign to see your doctors - welcome to SR

D
Old 02-05-2018, 05:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just saying hugs and good luck. That’s a lot to handle but doing it booze free will help you in whatever choice you do make. Many hugs to you!