Notices

Still trying to get sober

Old 02-03-2018, 06:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Still trying to get sober

I've been around sobriety sites and forums for a while now, but still not sober. I've been to a few meetings, but due to having two children and no one who would look after them, I can't sustain it. I try to stay sober and maybe manage 5-7 days, but I still keep going back to drinking. I honestly can't seem to see a light at the end of the tunnel for me. I feel like it's out of my control. I don't drink every day, but I can't stop, it's absolute insanity. I'm not physically addicted, I'm mentally craving it. Is there anyone that has advice or just here to talk to?

Thanks for letting me get this off of my chest.
Old 02-03-2018, 06:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome to SR TurningYellow!

Originally Posted by turningyellow View Post
I feel like it's out of my control.
I once believed the same thing so strongly that I bought extra life and liability insurance to protect my family from the inevitable disaster that could not be prevented.

I was wrong to believe getting better was beyond my control.

Say this to the face in the mirror: I don't know how to beat this, but I am going to find out.

Then go find out.

You can do this.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hi turningyellow! It sounds like there is a pattern to your drinking, perhaps you could arrange some activities around those times when you most want a drink? Trust me you can do it, I could barely manage 6 hours without drinking at one point.

As far as meetings go sometimes the local churches or homeless charities are the best source of info, living in London there are bound to be some that are at a convenient time. Good luck.
Old 02-03-2018, 11:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello!

I know there are AA meetings that have play areas for the kids. Many women's meetings allow children. Just a thought. I also joined a gym that has childcare so that I could get a couple hours of exercise without the kiddo hanging on me.

There are also Mom's groups where you can meet other moms. Maybe you can connect with a mom that can watch the kids while you attend meetings. I know that's hard but its that willingness to go to any lengths to get sober that is required.
Old 02-03-2018, 12:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've been in plenty of meetings where single parents brought their children.

And yes, even some do offer babysitting services.

So, if you don't get your drinking under control, who is going to have custody of your children when your life finally does crumble and you have them removed?
Old 02-03-2018, 06:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

[QUOTE=Ken0331;6772396

So, if you don't get your drinking under control, who is going to have custody of your children when your life finally does crumble and you have them removed?[/QUOTE]

Yup, this is the reality of alcoholism.It always gets worse, and needs to be approached in the same way you would respond to any other potentially terminal illness. Treatment must be the top priority.

I suggest go to a couple more meetings and find a sponsor who has worked the steps, and is willing to help you do the same. The steps are done away from the meetings, and are the actual AA path to recovery.

I sponsored a man in a similar situation. Two young boys and a full time job. He truly could not spare a lot of time for meetings. So he did two meetings a week, and we worked the steps together at a good pace over the weekends. Took about four weeks to get a grounding there.

He made an amazing recovery and is now sober about 7 years.

It can be done.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Joining this community helped me break the cycle of thinking I was not that bad and drinking again.

It's a lot harder to be nonchalant when your past is there in text or reflected in dozens of other stories.

Welcome TurningYellow

D