Notices

Never ending

Old 02-03-2018, 12:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Never ending

Been a drunk for 5 years now as in every day. Couple of relationship problems are the cause. Certainly in the last year every day 1/2 bottles of wine. This last 3 weeks every morning been drinking then sometimes even at work, that’s if I go work, then every evening.
Last week we’re talking 2 bottles wine a day and few beers. It’s like I drink to forget the hangover. Help I guess
Old 02-03-2018, 01:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Jimmy.

You know, when we wanna drink we tend to find rationalisations (excuses) for it everywhere. I tended to prefer the ones the rationalisations that pointed away from myself and to someone else as well. But relationship problems, grieving deaths, losing jobs - for Normies, those things don't result in getting drunk night after night for years.

For me (and thousands like me) the problem turned out to be alcohol itself, and the fact that I'd stuck a great big label (and lie) on it that read "Solution". When mentally adjusted that label to read 'Problem' it got a lot easier to strive for sobriety and work on my recovery.

Now I've been sober a while I can see I was in a vortex. The very things I drank over tended to be caused by my drinking anyway. My finances, my relationships, my health,my depression - all negatively impacted by alcohol. It was hard to break out of that cycle, as it meant getting sober. And the benefits of stopping aren't instant. Thankfully the folk here and at AA helped me by reinforcing the light at the end of the tunnel by sharing their experiences strength and hope with me when I had none. I hope you find the same.

Hope you stick around. Wishing you all the best for your sobriety and recovery.

BB
Old 02-03-2018, 02:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
Welcome Jimmy.

You know, when we wanna drink we tend to find rationalisations (excuses) for it everywhere. I tended to prefer the ones the rationalisations that pointed away from myself and to someone else as well. But relationship problems, grieving deaths, losing jobs - for Normies, those things don't result in getting drunk night after night for years.

For me (and thousands like me) the problem turned out to be alcohol itself, and the fact that I'd stuck a great big label (and lie) on it that read "Solution". When mentally adjusted that label to read 'Problem' it got a lot easier to strive for sobriety and work on my recovery.

Now I've been sober a while I can see I was in a vortex. The very things I drank over tended to be caused by my drinking anyway. My finances, my relationships, my health,my depression - all negatively impacted by alcohol. It was hard to break out of that cycle, as it meant getting sober. And the benefits of stopping aren't instant. Thankfully the folk here and at AA helped me by reinforcing the light at the end of the tunnel by sharing their experiences strength and hope with me when I had none. I hope you find the same.

Hope you stick around. Wishing you all the best for your sobriety and recovery.

BB

Thanks for reply.
I know when I’m sober I’m good as gold but literally drink all day from the minute my eyes open.
I own my own business and somehow it’s ticking over lol
Gonna venture down the shop shortly for wine / already put away 2 bottles this morning
Old 02-03-2018, 02:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jimmy

You have to break the cycle sometime - what about today? what about not going out for more wine?

Plenty of support here to help you through

D
Old 02-03-2018, 06:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I feel like I can’t function properly or eat or anything unless I drink. I woke up 5am this morning and necked a bottle of rose wine. Fell back asleep and woke up at 12 and just got back from shop with 2 more bottles of wine which will both be gone by this afternoon.
I’ve binged on drink and drugs for years but the alcohol has took over my life.
Although on the plus side it’s made me go to my desk and crack on with 20 odd invoices.

F**ked up
Old 02-03-2018, 06:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Jimmy! It can get better! Give yourself and sobriety a try, you’re worth it!
Old 02-03-2018, 06:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Jimmytherail View Post
I feel like I can’t function properly or eat or anything unless I drink.
Believing everything I felt nearly killed me. I hope you get over that sooner than I did.

Best of Luck on Your Journey.
Old 02-03-2018, 06:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was sober for 2 months but was tough last year.
Tried getting docters appointment but no joy.
I’m drinking myself to a early grave but can’t help it. The withdrawals are horrendous especially now I’m on my own
Old 02-03-2018, 07:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Jimmy,

Welcome to SR! Something made you decide to search to find this place, I know I found it when I started searching for help for drinking too much. That part of you that found this website knows how much you really want to be sober.

Are you able to have someone take you to the ER today? They can help you withdraw from alcohol safely, and also can help you with resources for support after.

You can do this, start by dumping those two bottles of wine you just bought, and have someon get you to ER, or take a taxi/uber there.

You CAN do this!!!!
Old 02-03-2018, 07:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

welcome! So glad to have you here!
Old 02-03-2018, 07:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
Hi Jimmy,

Welcome to SR! Something made you decide to search to find this place, I know I found it when I started searching for help for drinking too much. That part of you that found this website knows how much you really want to be sober.

Are you able to have someone take you to the ER today? They can help you withdraw from alcohol safely, and also can help you with resources for support after.

You can do this, start by dumping those two bottles of wine you just bought, and have someon get you to ER, or take a taxi/uber there.

You CAN do this!!!!
What does ER mean? Emergency room I guess?
Not sure you can do that in England.
I don’t know if I’m bad enough for actions like that, or weather I’m just being daft. But this binge will not end I don’t reckon, I have drank every morning even if only 1 beer for ages just to make me go work
Old 02-03-2018, 07:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think that you should talk to your dr or go to an Urgent Care office or hospital to get help with your withdrawals. You will be able to do this and you will find lots of support here.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Jimmy,

Yes, ER is emergency room. I know there are lots of people from England on this site, they may be able to direct you to the correct place, but there is definitely help out there.

You just need to make that first step, and decide to stop drinking today.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Jimmy, you came HERE. To a sobriety forum. Presumably there is some sane part of you crying out from behind your alcoholic thinking that you want your life to change.

Thing is, there is not ever going to be a day when you wake up and that is going to be easy. There is never going to and a day when someone can do it FOR you. But the good news is that when we decide we REALLY want more than an alcoholic fug, half-arsed relationships, career , and home life, then we CAN do it.

I would suggest seeking some face to face support. Smart, AA or whatever is available in your area. Chances are there will be an AA meeting you can swing by close to where you live tomorrow. You can search by postcode one here... https://www.alcoholics-anonymous.org...find-a-meeting People there will know what resources and facilities are available locally to help with withdrawals, and will be happy to share how they got from where you find yourself now to a life of sobriety.

You wouldn't need to give your name or any other details, or even speak if you chose not to. It is free and you don't need to book ahead - just turn up ten mins or so before the meeting is due to start.

I take it that you know that alcoholism is progressive. This is going to get worse, not better.

BB
Old 02-03-2018, 09:12 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thankyou for reply’s.
Yeah it is getting worse. I know it is. I’ll check out the links.

Thanks
Old 02-03-2018, 09:21 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I was sober for 2 months but was tough last year.
Tried getting docters appointment but no joy.
I’m drinking myself to a early grave but can’t help it. The withdrawals are horrendous especially now I’m on my own
Why not take the decision to turn withdrawals into ONE last withdrawal?
Old 02-03-2018, 10:54 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Rents due on Monday. £600 short of that
Old 02-03-2018, 11:20 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Rents due on Monday. £600 short of that
I think you're getting that solution and problem tag confused.

This isn't a problem that alcohol can sooth.
Alcohol is the problem that causes this kind of **** to happen in our lives when we're active in our alcoholism.

Alcohol will no more solve your rent problem than the relationship ones.
Get sober, get well, work on your recovery and these kind of problems all start to get easier to work out. Honest.

Is there a CAP office near you? They've helped lots of alcoholics and addicts to work their finances out and avoid being made homeless. https://capuk.org

BB

Last edited by Dee74; 02-03-2018 at 07:17 PM.
Old 02-03-2018, 11:51 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I’m drinking myself to a early grave but don't know how to help it.
Fixed your post.

Change is possible, therefore hope is reasonable.

You CAN do this.
Old 02-03-2018, 12:10 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'll also chime in and encourage you to get medical attention. The medical profession knows that alcohol withdrawal of the kind you describe requires their intervention. They will help, but you will need to be honest about your drinking patterns and amounts.

This will continue to get worse. The longer you put it off and indulge your addiction, the worse life will get, the consequences more dire, and you'll feel more hopeless.

Please get help today.