Notices

Friday night - missing the wine :-(

Old 02-02-2018, 11:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Friday night - missing the wine :-(

Help! think Im having a low point. I'm 9 days in.. and feeling sorry for myself this eve.
Guess Im missing that buzz. Hubby has had beers every eve - and the noise of his can opening, and him saying "ahhh" after that first gulp has been tough. Ive sat with bitter lemon and ice, and its been ok.. just Ive never quit totally before - this is a first.
I was having a bottle of wine a night.. and sometimes that would be after 2 pints of cider at the pub! I cant see myself doing that ever again.. but
Is there such a thing as just having a couple glasses at the weekends.. then back to it on the Sunday?
Sorry if this is a stupid post.. just would love a social drink tonight. Missing that :-(
Old 02-02-2018, 11:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by marshygirl View Post
Help! think Im having a low point. I'm 9 days in.. and feeling sorry for myself this eve.
Guess Im missing that buzz. Hubby has had beers every eve - and the noise of his can opening, and him saying "ahhh" after that first gulp has been tough. Ive sat with bitter lemon and ice, and its been ok.. just Ive never quit totally before - this is a first.
I was having a bottle of wine a night.. and sometimes that would be after 2 pints of cider at the pub! I cant see myself doing that ever again.. but
Is there such a thing as just having a couple glasses at the weekends.. then back to it on the Sunday?
Sorry if this is a stupid post.. just would love a social drink tonight. Missing that :-(
Curious about this. A buzz and A social drink seem at odds.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think the quick answer is simply "No".

I just don't think anyone who is truly a "social drinker" puts this much time and thought into having "a couple of glasses at the weekend".

The fact that your brain and emotions are obsessing over limits, timing, etc . . . of alcohol consumption kinda means you are a bit out of control over it.

Could you ask your hubby for some support? At least in the early stage he could not drink around you.

Could you change things up? If you are accustom to going to the pub on Friday nights, could you do something different? a movie? a moonlight hike?

Congrats on 9 days. You'll feel so much better when you wake up to your 10th sober day, don't you think?
Old 02-02-2018, 11:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Change4good View Post
Curious about this. A buzz and A social drink seem at odds.
Dont understand - what do you mean?
Im just being honest in how i feel
Old 02-02-2018, 11:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think the point Change is trying to make is that "social drinkers" don't drink for "the buzz".
Old 02-02-2018, 11:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i think most NON-alcoholics don't have a drink socially IN ORDER TO get a buzz on. that's the dichotomy.

you said you were drinking a bottle of wine, or more, a night.
ONE glass now is NOT going to soothe the addiction bubbling inside you......but it's the way the AV gets us to open the door a crack....with the PROMISE of just one........or two. that's all...................

hearing your husband's "ahhhhh" would really drive me bonkers. have you talked to him about that? would he be willing to alter his habit at all to help you feel a bit more comfortable in your own home?
Old 02-02-2018, 11:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Yours is not a stupid post at all marshygirl. I expect most of us problematic drinkers fantasise about being able to have a couple of drinks along with some good conversation. We cannot do that any more. The thing is we probably never did that very often anyway so we are giving up less than we imagine.

You definitely won't be missing the hangover tomorrow morning.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Yours is not a stupid post at all marshygirl. I expect most of us problematic drinkers fantasise about being able to have a couple of drinks along with some good conversation. We cannot do that any more. The thing is we probably never did that very often anyway so we are giving up less than we imagine.
So.Much.Truth.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

“ Is there such a thing as just having a couple glasses at the weekends.. then back to it on the Sunday?“

I’m afraid not, not for those of us in the bottle of wine a night club. I totally get what you mean, I would love to be able to do that, but it is impossible, once the first glass is poured the AV is inside. I know I might do it for a weekend or two, even praise myself for my newly aquired moderation, but a glass would become a bottle and weekends would become week days and the buzz would need more and more booze before it appeared.

You are doing so well, especially having the challenge of someone drinking beside you. Can you talk to your husband about how you are feeling?

9 days is a great achievement and your AV hates that, please don’t let it fool you that weekend drinking is an option.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm so there with you this evening with the cravings. Since what you idealize is the "ah" the beer gives your husband, I'd focus on getting that happy feeling without the life-ruining poison. Or at least that's what I'm trying to do.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats on 9 days marshygirl 💜

You might be missing the 'buzz' but you'll also be missing the poor quality night's sleep tonight, the hangover tomorrow, the dehydration, not doing the things you'd wanted/planned to over the weekend...and the list goes on for most of us...looking at it like that I am happy to forgo the 'buzz' 😉
Old 02-02-2018, 12:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Is there such a thing as just having a couple glasses at the weekends.. then back to it on Sunday?

To answer this question; you must ask yourself would you need to be posting on an alcohol recovery site if you could drink socially and then stop?

I thought so, until I finally understood that an alcoholic is not just a person on the street with a bottle of wine, it's a person whom cannot stop even though its causing problems in one's life.

STAY STRONG
Old 02-02-2018, 01:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome and congrats on 9 days.

I've never been a glass or 2 person. What is the point? I drank for the effect to get drunk. One or 2 glasses was never and will never be enough 😢
Old 02-02-2018, 01:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
under new management

Hi marshygirl

You are not the first and you won't be the last to wish to be able to have a social drink.

For me, that ship sailed a long time ago. It is easier for my to accept that I don't drink. Ever. For any reason. No more fighting with it.

My husband drinks every night, so I know that can add an extra layer to things.

Hang on tight to your 9 days and tomorrow we can celebrate day 10 with you!

You will never regret NOT drinking, promise
Old 02-02-2018, 01:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I completely understand what you are saying! I miss my wine so much and my dh still drinks too. I have tried to drink moderately and it worked for a couple of weeks and then I was back at a bottle and half every night. Congrats on 9 days! I'm on 40 days today and have gone thru some pretty rough days wanting to have that drink. I always made it a presentation with the pretty glass and everything! I'm trying to start new habits/rituals to take the place of my drinking ones. We can do this!
Old 02-02-2018, 01:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey,

I was never able to moderate my drinking. I tried many times and failed every.single.time.
There is absolutely nothing I miss about drinking, seriously, nothing.

Have you considered a new hobby to keep your hands and mind busy?
I personally picked up painting, I love it! That is when I meditate.
I have a goal to read 2 books a month
I work out, especially when I am frustrated with people or myself.

Blessings,
DC
Old 02-02-2018, 02:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

This is actually a tough one to deal with, its easy posting online and getting responses that you probably knew deep down you would get!

The thing is though only you can walk this path, no-body can climb in there with you, nobody can sit beside you and hold your hand to stop you wanting that drink, and even if they could that wouldn't work in the long run either!

Maybe its time to find a hobby to take you away from the pattern, or if this is not viable then try finding a different approach to your evenings, ie reading, writing, sewing, arts, crafts etc.

This site is supportive but at the end of the day everyone can only tell you their own experiences.

I did go down the route you speak of, but strictly only drink a couple of cans when I really want to, I monitor the effects closely and say 'no more' before I get even tipsy!
So far I have drank 4 cans in 3 months, if I had told myself no more ever again it wouldn't of stuck, even then I'm just not bothered with the stuff anymore, its become hard work for me and now makes me feel sick.

Nobody is the same as anyone else, people can only tell you what they do and what worked.
Only you know whether you can control it or not, for me this has become a personal thing with my inner strength!

Good luck.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:14 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi
I can relate to your post so much .I like you (and many others LOVED my wine)
I'm on day 38 and have my up great days and my down down days ..
I know I can NEVER drink or pick up another Alcoholic drink EVER again ...
For the reason being I'm an alcoholic
And that one drink would never just be one
Two four six eight till I fell down
I always pityied people who could have just one drink or leave a half a glass of wine behind them I thought they were the sadest people out there ( How stupid was I )
I was the saddo was the freak of the week
Only getting sober made me realize how low I had become
Hour by hour I take it .....
I read Two books a week on my kindle
I enjoy getting up every morning and having my mug of coffee
I enjoy hot chocolate with marshmallows with my daughter
All the simple things I brushed aside when all I had in my head was wine wine and more bloody wine .....My worst enemy
I'm early days but the good days really do out number the bad and the guys on this site are all my super heros
I couldn't have made it this far without them
I wish you every success on your journey and look forward to hearing from you

Much love
Caralara ❤️
Old 02-02-2018, 02:23 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Rar

Welcome Marshygirl..... Congratulations on your 9 days. You've got the first awful days behind you. My husband drinks in front of me, and getting through that is certainly challenging, but possible. I've tried to moderate and learned after several attempts that I cannot. Hang in there. You'll be glad you did.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:46 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

if YOU could do that, you wouldnt be here.
you may want to revisit the thread ya started on the 25th
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...e-im-here.html (Hi Newbie here.. cant believe Im here..)