Notices

I really want a drink tonight

Old 02-01-2018, 05:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I really want a drink tonight

I don't even know why. I didn't have a particularly stressful day. Maybe it's because I didn't stick to my morning routine I started during these early days of sobriety. Maybe it's just day 15 and the cravings are getting to me. I'm not sure. I'm just working on staying focused.

I also find myself being so exhausted all the time. I thought I would get some clarity by now. I guess I have some. The restlessness I had during the first week is gone for the most part. But it comes and goes.

Anyone have any tips?
Old 02-01-2018, 05:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

One of the things that I have found where my mind wanders to drink is lack of distraction. Sitting in front of the tv isn't one of them, although I'm not suggesting that's what you're doing. That's just my mind. What has helped me is becoming immersed in something you enjoy. For me, it is coloring (yes, it's a thing for adults these days) or playing hidden object games on my computer. Something I have to concentrate on. I also put together puzzles. Ok, nerdy things, but it's what I enjoy. IMO, think of something that gets your mind off of it. What do you like to do?
Old 02-01-2018, 06:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jack

I think it's common to feel exhausted and I know when I felt tired the cravings would set in...

Here are some great tips to help deal with cravings. I particularly recommend urge surfing.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-cravings.html (CarolD's tips for cravings)

I also find this link useful:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-recovery.html (101 Helpful Hints For Recovery)

You're on the right road Jack - have faith

D
Old 02-01-2018, 06:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Being hungry sets off major cravings for me. If I eat they diminish. I can never drink on a full stomach.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I just 'push play'. Watching what ALWAYS happened when I fell off the wagon.

Cravings can be fleeting if you distract yourself after watching that video in your mind..ugh. I cook or bake.

Tell that devil whispering in your ear that you're stronger than he is so f**k off.

Best of luck
Old 02-02-2018, 01:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Jack,

For me, the cravings haven't went away, I am only used to them.

So many triggers I had to suffer through.

Super Bowl coming up. Big trigger.

I used to be passed out by kick off...and wake up at half time. So sad.

So glad those days are over.

At 15 days clean, I was still healing physically. I would eat loads of sweets to help get through.

I was a very damaged man. I am still getting better.

Thanks.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

For me, drinking lots of water really helps, with everything. Also, ditto what the others have said about eating well, having sweets when you want them (plenty of time to address that issue later), and doing small activities that engage your mind. For me, it's reading...I can't watch too much TV, as it doesn't distract me enough. Also, posting here helps a lot. We're here for you!
Old 02-02-2018, 04:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Rar

Originally Posted by JackD89 View Post
I don't even know why. I didn't have a particularly stressful day. Maybe it's because I didn't stick to my morning routine I started during these early days of sobriety. Maybe it's just day 15 and the cravings are getting to me. I'm not sure. I'm just working on staying focused.

I also find myself being so exhausted all the time. I thought I would get some clarity by now. I guess I have some. The restlessness I had during the first week is gone for the most part. But it comes and goes.

Anyone have any tips?
I know how you feel Jack. I try the urge surfing and reading the posts here on SR. I have relapsed before and this time, instead of white knuckling, I made a plan. It may not be the best plan and I might have to tweak it, but I am anticipating where I could have bad triggers and try to plan for them. I am encouraged to push forward when I read the posts of those who say it gets "so much better". I'm holding on to that. Hang in there!
Old 02-02-2018, 04:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you so much to all of you for your responses!! I did not drink last night and I am waking up on my 16th day of sobriety. I have always been a morning person, and I am loving mornings again. I write in a journal most mornings to try and capture this feeling I have when I wake up and I have this feeling of happiness I made it through another night without alcohol.

Anyway, I sincerely thank each and everyone fo you for your insights. These early days have been filled with so much learning, self-exploration, and a mix of emotions. Posting on here helps. Your responses help.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That’s great to hear jack😀 I like my mornings too!
Old 02-02-2018, 03:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good on you Jack

D