Notices

Day 2 and feeling like a crazy person

Old 02-01-2018, 01:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2 and feeling like a crazy person

My first post here, but I have been lurking for quite a while. Have to say this site is part of the reason I decided to stop drinking. This is my 2nd day sober and I feel like I might be going crazy! I know this is probably normal but I just feel so awful that I have been thinking all day "Maybe I should just cave and have some wine tonight to feel better". Annnnd those feelings are probably why I needed to quit a long time ago. Any advice or support would be great. For some reason I didn't think this would be so hard!
Old 02-01-2018, 02:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome and well done on 2 days. I agree, this is a wonderful site, so much information to learn from.

I will have 14 days tomorrow and I have cried, yelled, laughed, paced around in circles, slept one night, stayed wide awake the next night. Crazy feelings, I think I understand.

All I can say is each day I make it through I feel 1,0000 times better being temporary crazy, than if I would have picked up a drink for relief.

Stay busy, do anything; eat, run, shower, dance, use your imagination.

It is hard, but it is also getting easier each day I say "no".

I hope you say "no" also and get your mind busy with something else.

Stay Strong!
Old 02-01-2018, 03:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
under new management

Welcome, welcome SPNew

Please stick around and read, post and read! This place is a veritable goldmine of information. Plus, 24/7 support to help you through the tough patches. Check out the stickies at the top of the page for some great ideas to help you out.

Don't give up, just think, once tomorrow, day 3, gets here, you never have to go through these first 2 days again

This is going to be so worth it!!!!!

Old 02-01-2018, 03:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to the posting side of SR, SPNew; really glad that you are here with us.

My suggestion is to for,ulate a Plan for sobriety.

I will post a link to a really great SR thread on that topic in a minute.
Old 02-01-2018, 03:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

As promised:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...highlight=Psst (Psst...wanna know why I'm always recommending recovery plans?)
Old 02-01-2018, 03:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I cried about a third of my day two, I’m only on day 14 but it is definitely better than those first four. You can do this, wine will only set you back!!!
Old 02-01-2018, 03:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome SPNewAnx

It can be rough - especially the first few days. I spent a lot of time here - reading posting for myself, posting to other people.

Things will get better I promise. Stay with it. Going back to drinking just means you'll have to start this over again, and noone wants that

D
Old 02-01-2018, 07:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeah, those first few days are tough. And they get tougher the longer we put it off and continue drinking like alcoholics.

You'll get thru it.

What are you doing to get help?
Old 02-02-2018, 12:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome SPN!

Never underestimate a recovering alcoholic
We fight for our lives everyday in ways most people will never understand

Keep fighting it's the only way.

Best of luck
Old 02-02-2018, 01:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Don't Quit Quitting!

Very cool...Way to go!
I am brand new to this site...new in recovery as well, but I've managed to put together just three years. So here's my suggestions-
Try AA. It's a proven program and puts a 'Live' person who you can be accountable to (Sponsor). I hated it for the longest time. But I also never got sober for the longest time.
I fought it.
Also, TALK ABOUT IT! This site is GREAT for that! I just joined last evening, and it does help.
A lot.
There's so many of us out here, and we're all at different stages.
I fought it so hard, I lost everything. Almost my life.
I'm a 'Real Alcoholic'...
So grab on to whatever life preserver you can, and use the tools that work for you.
I don't know much, but I do know this. It will only get worse if you don't arrest it. And if you recognize it as a problem...it probably is.
So congratulations, and no matter what, don't quit quitting.
Thanks, and best wishes!
Dirk
Old 02-02-2018, 04:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome SPN

If I am anything to go on and your feeling crazy then you are in the correct place.

I didn't expect giving up alcohol to have any effects. I used to drink like a fish at times and no hangover, so why would I expect stopping to be any different. (Did I get a kick in the pants!)

What we go through at this time gives clarity to the damage that the poison has caused.

You are here because you know you want to live a sober life. There is no way round it I'm afraid just heading on through it one step at a time.
There are no benefits to keep resetting the clock back to day 1 it will definitely not make it easier that way.

Be strong, Dusty
Old 02-02-2018, 04:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

UGH, that crazy-person feeling is the worst! Unfortunately, as others have said, I think it's somewhat unavoidable during the very early days. The two things that helped me the most are 1) drinking lots of water, constantly, and 2) reading. There is absolutely nothing that can distract me from drinking like a good book! Also, allow yourself to eat what you want, especially during the first few weeks. I find that when I deprive myself of food, my desire to drink goes into overdrive. We're here for you.
Old 02-02-2018, 03:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

How are things SPNewAnx?

D