Notices

A new routine, a new outlook!

Old 01-31-2018, 11:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A new routine, a new outlook!

I’m only in day 2, but I’m trying to reconfigure my daily routine and reimplement things that I used to really enjoy in daily life, now that I’m cutting out the thing that came to overshadow all of those things.

Literally my routine pretty much daily included sleeping late, working, getting wine, repeat. I stopped caring about so much. Now I’m just trying to remind myself of things that can brighten up my daily life in a positive way and things I can look forward to again. Here’s what I have so far:

- Coffee!!! I love coffee so much, but for sometime now it has amounted to nothing more than a hangover fix. Time to truly savor and enjoy it again.
- A nice hot bath
- Jumping into my bed at the end of a long day with a cup of hot tea
- Actually waking up in the morning and enjoying it
- Waking up not hungover
- Putting more thought and time into making healthy and delicious meals every day
- Exercise

So I think to start, coffee is going to be a truly sacred morning ritual again. Not chugged down as I race to work late and hungover. I’m going to wake up and have an actual morning routine again. Maybe write out a list of things I want to accomplish that day.

I’m going to incorporate 30 minutes on my treadmill in the morning and at night.

And I think I will end my days with a nice long bath. Just to start. I think having those things to look forward to will help me in this, and will help my days feel more structured.

Is anyone else doing anything similar or have any tips?
Old 01-31-2018, 11:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Looking more at this section I think I may have posted this in the wrong spot haha
Old 02-01-2018, 03:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I love the positivity and the action!

I looked back at my life before drinking took over. What did I like to do then? Would I still like to do those things? I reignited a bunch of old hobbies. It was a lot of fun.

Then I learned a new skill and changed careers.

Keep after it!
Old 02-01-2018, 03:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you! I’m hoping to actually do that as well eventually, learn a new skill and switch careers.
Old 02-01-2018, 04:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I love this, and plan having the same outlook and thought process. I’m so tired of thinking about wine.

Thanks for sharing!
Old 02-01-2018, 04:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
sober style

I love what you said about a renewed appreciation for coffee, savoring it again. A cup of good strong coffee in the morning is hard to beat! All the best to you, TheForce. Keep it simple, don't drink every day, and then get up and do it again. It ain't rocket science as they say!
Old 02-01-2018, 04:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes!! I woke up this morning NOT hungover! I’m going to enjoy the best cup of coffee in bed snuggled up with my window open because it’s kind of chilly outside where I am!

I’m even going to make breakfast! This must be how the other half live

I’m very grateful to feel this way today. Let me know some stuff you come up with to enjoy again Darlad! I hope everyone has a fantastic day today
Old 02-01-2018, 04:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Those are all definitely things to enjoy in recovery!

I find that those kinds of things come after an actual recovery plan - they are the bonuses, and the habits, of my sober life. My program is AA and there are plenty of others (search around here) and those of us in some amount of recovery have found that a sobriety-based plan is the critical start.

Best to you.
Old 02-01-2018, 04:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

TheForce...Newcomers is a great place for this kind of post, in my opinion.
Isn't it wonderful to feel well enough and think clearly enough to sense your emotions spark to simple things you enjoy?

Please keep posting, whether it goes perfectly or not. Process with others what works and what happens when you hit a rough patch. And always...just dont drink.
Old 02-01-2018, 04:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I’ve started reading ‘Drinking A Love Story’ by Caroline Knapp.

I also started using an app to help with positive thought process and anixiety. I feel I was drinking a lot due to my anxiety. It has been helpful.
Old 02-01-2018, 05:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Bix, it so is!! And I know that right now I’m in the beginning stage where I’m feeling great and super optimistic, and I know that will not last forever. So, when the hard days come I will post about that too.

Darlad, I’m going to have to get that book. Just looked it up, looks very intriguing. And it’s perfect because reading is another lost hobby I want to take back up
Old 02-01-2018, 05:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats on your 2 days and your new positive outlook. Enjoy that coffee!!!
Old 02-01-2018, 05:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Waking up early to drink coffee and read is my new routine that replaced guzzling wine at night while endlessly scrolling until I pass out. I go to bed clear headed looking forward to that morning ritual. I'm only 17 days in, but feeling amazing.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Wonderful positive post! The Force is strong indeed today!
That all sounds perfectly wonderful and dare I say super-human for day 2!
Re-discovering weekend mornings are a real treat too! Maybe have a little think abut how lovely that will be if the dreaded AV comes calling.
Keep going!
Old 02-01-2018, 07:28 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you, The Force! I am right there with you at day 3 ( I think I posted day 2 somewhere else...that’s how foggy brained I still am!)

Love sitting in the morning enjoying my coffee for the taste and warmth, not as a must to get through the awful feelings. Also, I crave healthy foods when I don’t drink. Food tastes so much better!! I love reading a good book to help me fall asleep, .not just passing out in a wine induced sleep.

Thank you for sharing!
Old 02-01-2018, 08:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome, congrats on day 2!
I think your plan is a good one!

I workout 6 days a week
I am now painting, when insomnia hits, or I need to meditate as that is how I meditate, getting lost a new piece is wonderful for my soul.
I wake up and make my bed every morning- I never did this before as an adult.
I got rid of coffee and switched to tea, I went to an amazing tea shop in Chicago and got tons of tea, different kinds, flavors and for different things like sleep, health, energize, and relaxation.
I have a goal to read 2 books a month, I slacked in January and only read 1, it was super dry so I started a new one last night and got to page 99, I didn't want to put it down, but I had to go to bed.
I find new things to do with my son
I hang out with my sober friends
I come here often

That is just my short list.

I hope you enjoy this amazing journey you are one! Much more rewarding than any drink

Blessings,
DC
Old 02-01-2018, 11:17 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Ah, nice. I was thinking about Paris yesterday, and how there is so much more to it than the wine. Really, it's more well known for the cafes! I've always wanted to visit Les Deux Magots, where Sartre used to hang out, but that might be too touristy. Such a coffee-centered culture over there, though. Nevermind the great food.

Sobriety has turned me more to tea, for some reason. For me, it adds a calm to my mornings and afternoons that was never there when I was drinking all day. It feels wholesome.

Routines are great for fighting this thing. Stick with them and you surprise yourself with what you are capable of.